Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rear Passenger Brake Disc Glowing!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
WHITTLER555

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Rear Passenger Brake Disc Glowing!

I might have posted this in the wrong section last night, sorry, I'm a bit new to this forum stuff!

Hi, please could you give me some advice? I have read through this thread but can't find the same situation that happened to me today.
I set off with some mates at five this morning to the RAC rally, I got about 15 minutes down the motorway and then started to get a bad vibration from the car as though I had a puncture but it obviously wasn't. The car would not accelerate so we pulled over, my mate jumped out and reported that the rear passenger brake disc was glowing orange and smoke was coming from the wheel.

I jumped out but by the time I got around the car the disc had cooled but the smell was awful.

Having just had all the discs and pads replaced three weeks ago I couldn't work it out so we set off back for home with a broken Landy. However it seemed to drive OK. Before I dropped the first person off we checked the wheel again and it was stone cold like the others so we decided to risk the 250 mile round trip.
We have encountered no further issues????
Was it just the very cold temparature (-5C) seizing the handbrake on?

Please let me know if you have any ideas?
Thanks

Damian

Post #72220328th Nov 2010 11:37 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Its more than likely to be the park brake shoes binding. If it was a seized caliper I would expect it to be hot all the time. The intermittency of it suggests the park brake is over adjusted or the shoes are not free to move properly.

My tip would be not to use the epb at all, and take it back to wherever you got the job done. The epb shoes could now be delaminated, that means the friction material could have separated from the shoe.

There have been a few similar occurences, indeed my first D3 did this on a few occasions. I think one D3 in Australia got stranded in the outback with a seized park brake, and they had to smash the disk to bits to get it going again Shocked

Post #72221328th Nov 2010 12:12 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Or if your unlucky the whole rear brake system seizes and grenades at 70mph chucking you off the road as I had happen on my first D3, It all being attributable to the EPB.......

Worst part about it was the LR dealership who had "adjusted" it only two days previous did not seem that bothered they nearly killed me with their negligence - shame they went bust Rolling Eyes

As Gareth says get it back to whoever has ballsed up and get it sorted pronto. From how you describe it you are not that far off a total seizure at the rear.

Post #72222728th Nov 2010 12:44 pm
WHITTLER555

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for the tips, I will get it booked in on Monday.

Post #72224328th Nov 2010 1:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >