DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Rear door not locking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
alastaid

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Rear door not locking

Hi,

Just noticed one of the rear doors isn't always locking, if you flick the locking switch on the drivers door, you can see it has a go at locking, but doesn't make it. I have had a prod with some lithium grease, but no luck, so my real question is, how do I get at it to see what is wrong. Assume it is door card off, is this easy or am I going to bust a load of clips and it rattle for ever more once back on?

Thanks,

Alastair

Post #111496510th Jun 2013 7:52 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

had this recently on my D3 front passenger side

mine was a weak lock actuator so had to be replaced ( mine was about £80 odd from TLO )

its quite a faff to fit it tho although there are some very good guides on here ,do a search and you should find one

with hindsight tho i would think about getting an indy to do it as you need to strip the door down to replace it and as i said its very fiddly and tested my patience Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #111501510th Jun 2013 10:45 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Replacement guide: http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Rear_Door_Latch_Replacement
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #111501610th Jun 2013 10:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alastaid

Rear door not locking - help cant get the latch off

Hi,

Well I have the new latch, have been following the wiki entry, all going well until I get to the tricky part, where you have to unclip the cable from the door handle. In the wiki it shows that you can manoeuvre the latch to see the clip where you can get at it. I don't know if I am being dense or it is just different on a D4 with keyless entry but I cant move it any way so I can get a good view to clip the cable off.

Wondering if it is different on a D4 and you have to take the handle off as well???

Thanks

Alastair

Post #112010520th Jun 2013 3:39 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

if you think getting the clip off is fiddly wait till you try to get it back on the new one Big Cry took me about 2 hours

i found that the best way to get the 2 cables off was to get a bent piece of coathanger and insert thro the lock slot on the door shut. hook behind the cable just above the plastic clip that holds the small barrel on the end of the link cable ( look at the new one to visualise it better ) give a firm tug towards you and it should come free of the clip on the unit there are two to do if the same on the D4 as D3

once out of the clip it will leave the barrel still in the small pivoting arm on the lock so you if you push the arm round with your fingers it will then release once the cable / arm is at the correct angle

getting the new one located is a real fiddle as you need to hold the small arm on the lock up so that the barrel will locate in the guide whilst pushing the barrel back in. i just struggled and fiddled till it went but think there must be a better way to do this as this took about 50 attempts and bare in mind there 2 to do so you will need the patience of a saint for this

good luck

if you need any more help pm me with your number and i will give you a call Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #112012220th Jun 2013 4:25 pm
alastaid

Mark, thanks so much for the offer of help, I think sometimes coming away from it and posting something on the forum gives inspiration or a different way of doing it. Anyway the good news is I have done it, I did something similar as you Mark by putting a long thin screw driver behind the back of the cable and starting to put some pressure on it come out, and then lever the little clip with another small screwdriver and hey presto it pinged out. You have to do all of this through the door shut hole, a bit like keyhole surgery Smile, I thought a picture would have been good to show the method, but had run out of hands by then.

My next advice to anyone trying this is, in your exuberance to put the new one back in, dont do what I did which was to clip the undo-able clip back in first before putting the lug back in the cable hole, so I then had to unclip the nightmare clip again, but this proved my method as I did it straight away.

I also wondered what the Haynes manual says, something along the lines of:

Undo the three torx screws, two electrical clips, and door latch cable and remove the unit. Refitting is the reverse of removal Smile

Post #112015020th Jun 2013 5:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >