Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rear Door Lock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Rear Door Lock

A few days ago I posted the following in the Technical Section. No responses. Has anyone had a similar problem with the locks?? Big Cry Big Cry

Three days ago when I was out bush I found that I cannot open my passenger side rear door. All other doors are OK. Have tried everything that I know. The outside hande operates like it is in the locked position.

Any ideas???
Bow down Bow down
 Retired Bob
2005 Disco 3 HSE TDV6 (Dual Battery, Snorkel, Nudge Bar, Kaymar Spare Wheel Carriers, Long Ranger Aux Tank. LED Shunt, Centre Console Cooler, New Tail Shaft, New Gear Box, Rigged for towing) Towing Trakmaster Van as often as possible 

Post #54332731st Oct 2009 9:36 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

you have checked that the child locks are not on i assume Whistle
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #54333631st Oct 2009 9:41 pm
catweasel

SJR wrote:
checked the child locks... not on

RetiredBob wrote:
The outside handle operates
the door would still open if they were on so think they are off

does the door sound like it unlocks, does the lock lever operate/flicker(the inside one on the door card). could be a failing latch or a dislocated release cable. try pressing the unlock button on the dash and have a second person pull the outside handle at the same time to see if you can open it. heres some light reading.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post520978.html#520978
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post265583.html#265583
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post91166.html#91166
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post454799.html#454799
and aparently lubricating with WD40 is not good in the long term.

Post #5435091st Nov 2009 2:45 am
RetiredBob

Thanks SJR and Catweasel.

SJR. - Child locks have never been on and a bit hard to check if unable to open door. If the child lock was on it still should open from the outside.

Catweasel - The door does sound as it is unlocking but have not looked to see if there is a flicker on the inside lock lever . Will check out your suggestions.

Many thanks
 Retired Bob
2005 Disco 3 HSE TDV6 (Dual Battery, Snorkel, Nudge Bar, Kaymar Spare Wheel Carriers, Long Ranger Aux Tank. LED Shunt, Centre Console Cooler, New Tail Shaft, New Gear Box, Rigged for towing) Towing Trakmaster Van as often as possible 

Post #5435111st Nov 2009 3:35 am
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had the rear tail gate cable fail about 6 months ago, pretty painful thing to fix, basically a dealer fix,
I could hear the electric opener working, but the door would not open. I know it is your passenger door that is your problem, but i wonder if it is the same cause, broken cable?

Sounds like a dealer fix to me
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #5435791st Nov 2009 11:50 am
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

The latch mechanism can fail - I just had to change the one in my drivers door. It seems the motor that drives the locking mechanism gets too weak to drive the mech fully, so it either stays locked or unlocked. If you can't open the door I'm not sure how the latch can be checked / changed though Confused . Try pressing unlock on the key fob a load of times, whilst operating the inner and outer handles - it may release eventually. You've probably tried that though!

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic33743.html
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #5435921st Nov 2009 12:26 pm
neavsie

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

On a similar topic, all the doors on my D3 unlock with the remote & dash button, and all door except the driver's door lock with the remote & dash button. The dealer indicated the problem wasn't with the latch mechanism but with the computer sending the instructions to the latch.

The price for fixing the problem was $800 for a new computer plus labour. I cheaped out and now use the key to manually lock the door.

Does this set of facts make sense or is the issue simply the latch itself?

Post #5436311st Nov 2009 2:49 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

RetiredBob wrote:

SJR. - Child locks have never been on and a bit hard to check if unable to open door. If the child lock was on it still should open from the outside.

I would agree with that 100% ............but !

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, and the dealer, when fixing it under warranty told me that a linkage connected to the child lock mechanism had come loose and was causing both inside and outside handle to appear as locked. They replaced all the mechanism in the door and i have had no more problems since (i don't know how they got the door open in the first place!).....of course they could have been spinning me a load of Censored but i only asked the question based on what i was told Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #5436321st Nov 2009 2:55 pm
RetiredBob

BEAUDY

Thanks Catweasal and all who responded. Tried Catweasals recommendations and it would not open when using the outside latch. Climbed inside and did the same with the inside lock and handle and eureka the door opened. Have tried closing and opening again and all now appears OK

Many thanks Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Bow down Bow down
 Retired Bob

Post #5439011st Nov 2009 9:16 pm
RetiredBob

An update.

The problem is occuring again Big Cry but I am still able to open it with the recommendations from previous posts.

Will have to look at the problem deeper and try to fully resolve it.

Thanks all
 Retired Bob

Post #5458744th Nov 2009 8:46 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

neavsie wrote:
On a similar topic, all the doors on my D3 unlock with the remote & dash button, and all door except the driver's door lock with the remote & dash button. The dealer indicated the problem wasn't with the latch mechanism but with the computer sending the instructions to the latch.

The price for fixing the problem was $800 for a new computer plus labour. I cheaped out and now use the key to manually lock the door.

Does this set of facts make sense or is the issue simply the latch itself?

Is the internal lock lever moving at all when you use the key fob or dash button? On mine, it was moiving a little, but not enough to unlock the door. A new latch (for £34) fixed it
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #5460765th Nov 2009 2:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >