Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Rear Diff Worth it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Discolife

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Rear Diff Worth it?

Well the D4 HSE order is in as previously stated, but still wondering whether the rear diff will be worth having.... I spend a fair amount of time off the back stuff in a working role and often with fuel bowsers or a 14ft ifor william on the back and from time to time do struggle to find a bite on our slippery clay. the D3 is on AT2's which have performed well but as we all know the D4 is limited on tyre choice. SO Diff or MTR's possbily, only concern is I do several runs a year over to Hereford and don't fancey the MTR's humming on the M6! Comments welcome.
 It's my mud so keep out!
16 D4 HSE Loire blue cannot deny a change this time!
13 D4 HSE Nara Bronze no ones noticed I hope!
10 D4 HSE Nara Bronze - already muddy!
07 D3 SE silver
Cooper LTZ's latest festish
Club MTR 

Post #56460613th Dec 2009 9:51 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

I asked the same question when I ordered my D4.

The activate rear diff will keep you going longer. For example, when we were is Tunisia last October, the vehicles with active rear diffs were less likely to get...

delayed. Laughing

I ordered it for my D4 Wink
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance. 

Last edited by MrH on 13th Dec 2009 10:03 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #56460813th Dec 2009 10:02 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

Have both, was a major factor for me buying my used D3 that it had a rear Ediff, It was a must for me so I discarded many vehicles which didnt have it.

So for 2nd hand sales then for difficult customers like me, makes it a more attracive vehicle.

for traction wise, havent tested it out fully, but never been stuck yet Whistle

G
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #56460913th Dec 2009 10:03 pm
Verydisco

Location: A bit there, a bit over there and sometime at home, France

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Hi,
It has been mentioned here, but the D3 is very efficient with proper boots, so a set of tyre is a must anyway.
only problem is the D4 han't got the same choice of footwear, therefore a read diff is a bonus

depending if you plan on selling it quik afterward, as a 2nd hand buyer in 1 or2 years wont care much about it, in 4/5 years time some will fancy it as D4 will more often tan now go off road.

I did get my first D3 sans Diff, though made sure my second one had one.

on the rough stuff, you can see it turn on and off (on the screen) , so the TR uses it, that is for sure, but i cannot tell you if a D3 not fitted would stop where one with the DL goes.

on the D4 I would choose to fit it if you do carry loads on wet grass/green lanes.

Having tested the D4 in serious off raod conditions and in wed mud (read scottish weather condition...) i can tell you we took it in place I would not dare to go with my D3 in it's 17" and Mud terrains if i'd be by myself. the D4 on stock wheels made it, easely, but with the DL flashing on and off on the screen...
 l=Oo\________/oO=l l:Ool======loO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - Orkney Grey, on Black, on Piano Black.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
FREELANDER 2 Td4 HSE "000" - Santorinin Black on Black
Gap Diagnostics' Classic and BT IID Tools!

Previous:
RANGE ROVER TDV8 x3
RANGE ROVER Td6 x1
RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1
DISCOVERY III x3
DISCOVERY II x3
DISCOVERY I x4 

Post #56461013th Dec 2009 10:03 pm
Discolife

Thanks guys for the swift replies, Looks like the Diff would be a sensible option then. I guess there is alway the option of a second set of boots for the long runs, although the competition on the auction sites is a little fierce at the moment!
 It's my mud so keep out!
07 D3 SE silver
Club MTR 

Post #56461213th Dec 2009 10:08 pm
andybrad

Apologies for some simple questions on the subject, but...

1. How do you know if an active rear diff is fitted? I used to have a D3 HSE and test drove a D4 HSE recently. Both had the green/red diff lock symbol over the rear diff on the screen - does this mean anything? I wasn't aware in either case that the car did have the optional diff.

2. What sort of rear diff do you get if you don't order the active one ? I heard a rumour years ago that nearly all D3 HSE were fitted with it in the factory, but I am not sure if there is any truth in this. Is the alternative a non-locking/open diff or do you get a manual switch ?

3. Given that all D3 and D4 models come with the full complement of off road technology (HDC, TRS, etc), why leave the active diff as an option? It seems a strange omission for a car that prides itself on off road performance. Is there a reason why you would NOT want the active diff ?

I must admit that I would be inclined to order the active diff, although (as you can see from the questions) I am not sure why Confused

Post #56899922nd Dec 2009 4:19 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

andybrad wrote:
1. How do you know if an active rear diff is fitted? I used to have a D3 HSE and test drove a D4 HSE recently. Both had the green/red diff lock symbol over the rear diff on the screen - does this mean anything? I wasn't aware in either case that the car did have the optional diff.

If the icon changes colour when in use, then it has one - the other method is to get under and have a look, but then you'd get dirty Wink

andybrad wrote:
2. What sort of rear diff do you get if you don't order the active one ? I heard a rumour years ago that nearly all D3 HSE were fitted with it in the factory, but I am not sure if there is any truth in this. Is the alternative a non-locking/open diff or do you get a manual switch ?

If you don't get an active rear diff, you just get a standard open diff. The fitment of a rear active diff is nothing to do with it being a S, SE, HSE or whatever - it is just an option available on any model. No model/trim has them as standard.

andybrad wrote:
3. Given that all D3 and D4 models come with the full complement of off road technology (HDC, TRS, etc), why leave the active diff as an option? It seems a strange omission for a car that prides itself on off road performance. Is there a reason why you would NOT want the active diff ?

None at all....If I was buying a new one it would be the first option I would tick, but if I found a good deal on a second-hand one without the active diff then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

The D3 and D4 do not NEED active rear diffs, but they are a bit smoother and find traction a bit more easily if they have one....the electronics does a good enough job to get you to the same places as one with the active diff fitted, but just makes a bit more noise and may take a little bit longer to get there.

andybrad wrote:
I must admit that I would be inclined to order the active diff, although (as you can see from the questions) I am not sure why Confused

If you like doing fairly extreme off-road stuff, put the tick in the box if your budget allows Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #56903322nd Dec 2009 5:09 pm
Ecosse

Definitely option it Thumbs Up - the dealers just don't promote it as buyers can't "see" unlike eg privacy glass, TV etc Shocked

Had it on the D3 and it makes it more capable than non-ediff vehicles on a variety of surfaces, deep snow, mud etc. Not sure, but it probably also causes less wear than the traction control's use of brakes to stop wheel spin Idea

Post #56904822nd Dec 2009 5:25 pm
NJF

MrH wrote:
For example, when we were is Tunisia last October,

Ooh, pull up a sandbag and swing a tilly lamp - this is going to be a long, tall story. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

What MrH was trying to say was that he wants the locking rear diff to help with take-off and landing. Rolling with laughter

Post #56911322nd Dec 2009 7:52 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Is it worth it ?

YES Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #56912422nd Dec 2009 8:05 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

i have ordered my disco 4 with rear dvd but apparently i cannot have rear diff lock if i have rear dvd and sunroof

why is this i dont understand what a rear diff lock has got to do with either a sunroof or a rear dvd system Shocked

can anyone explain land rovers reasons for this

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #56918822nd Dec 2009 9:50 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

isnt it some thing to do with exceeding the unladen weight limt, or somthing like that Confused

i would cancel the sunroof and get the locking diff - sunroof is a waste of time..
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #56919122nd Dec 2009 9:53 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's apparently to do with the weight if you have both it's too heavy (seems Censored to me, but he ho!)
Or it could be that they need the room the RSE takes up for a controller box for the e-Diff perhaps?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #56919222nd Dec 2009 9:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SGK

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Ordered with rear diff lock

There has been an awful lot written about rear diff lock in the D3 section - what it basically comes down to is that most argue you don't need it to "get there".
However as I understand it the rear diff lock has a lot of benefits in regards to protecting the car on the way there - i.e. there is a lot less strain on the car with rear diff lock.
The driving styles are also different when off-road. For example I got stuck on a relatively steep hill with loose shale on it.
The rigt way with traction control would have been to speed up the hill, as the traction control uses the brakes to give you traction - meaning you have to allow for this when driving.
Without enough speed not only did I get stuck, there simply was no way to get unstuck, and I had to reverse down the hill.
May mate in a Prado with rear diff lock simply and slowly went up the hill with no problems.
Needless to say that I have ordered one with the D4 which is due in Feb.
I understand that my incorrect driving style in this situation did not help, however I personally prefer taking it easy on myself and on the car - so based on this and on the relatively low price of the rear diff lock it was a nobrainer for me. Of course if you never go offroad, it would be totally useless.
Smile
 Prado Grande --> D3 --> D4 ... its getting better all the time Smile  
Post #57019525th Dec 2009 10:16 am
Discolife

Well that's messed up the plan! Call from dealer yesterday saying shortage of parts will have to delay build until March or go without - tough one........ D4 now being built minus rear diff Big Cry however D4 on line soon to arrive Very Happy
 It's my mud so keep out!
07 D3 SE silver
Club MTR 

Post #5749155th Jan 2010 10:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >