DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rear diff lock and Xeon light problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Rear diff lock and Xeon light problem

Hello,

Wednesday I collected my G4D3 and today I found some problems I think.

1. It looks like on the 4x4 info screen that the rear diff doesn't want to lock. I thought if you put it in rock crawl and drive straight forward the lock sign on the rear diff should go from green to red like the one off the centre diff. It doesn't do it.
I didn't did a good cross-axle test yet but just drove up a dyke. I didn't drive straigt up but under a 45 degree angle to get it a little cross-axled. I didn't get the red lock on the rear diff but also didn't see any wheel spin.
So or it works but the screen doesn't get the right signal or it wasn't slippery enough to get it locked.
Does the locking sign should go red if I put it in rock crawl and drive a straight line?
What could be the problem?

2. I got the adaptive lighting system. and noticed that the left front light sometimes stays on full beam and doesn't go the normal driving strenght like the other when I flip the handle. The problem is that it doesn't do it always just sometimes.
Do the headlight use the same relais or does each light has it's own relais?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Roel
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #34665619th Sep 2008 10:14 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I think I'm right in saying that the active rear diff is only active when required.

Sounds like you have a shutter problem on the xenon ..dealer job Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #34666019th Sep 2008 10:18 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

this might help ....
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-zone/58495-pr...ial-2.html
if not it's still a damn good vid Mr. Green

Post #34666319th Sep 2008 10:30 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

This video is a bit disingenuous TBH because the D3 without a rear locker would have still coped with this scenario more than adequately as the drive runs independently to all 4 wheels ..or indeed to 3, 2, or 1 wheel. What this chap is describing are the issues suffered by the defeaner and older discos \ rangies when getting x axled.

A D3 specced with an active rear diff will overcome obstacles in a more meaningful way than D3's without ...but those without will still get there. Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 19th Sep 2008 10:52 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #34666619th Sep 2008 10:42 pm
Roel

Hello Tazdaz,

I am not sure that it is the rear diff lock that get's the disco moving again or if it is the traction control. If it would be the rear diff lock both wheels on the rear axle should start rotating at the same speed. It looks to me that the left rear wheel stops while the D3 starts moving. This could be the traction control.
The difference between the D3 and Freelander could be the difference in needed tyre speed the traction control needs to start working.
 Roel

1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Post #34666719th Sep 2008 10:45 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

I have to agree with you DG ..
When we were at Rockingham last year Ed Cobley was in my D3 and we had the 4x4 info screen on and doing various bits trying to 'persuade' the rear diff to lock - it flicked on and off (red padlock) a few times but there was no real situation where you could say 'its going to lock now' Well that was his assumption about it.

Post #34666819th Sep 2008 10:49 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Roel ..have a read of this:

10forcash wrote:
MikeH,
All the info you require is available on the GTR link Slimer posted above, maybe you should buy a day's access and browse the service information section?
To give you an idea of what's available:-
Quote:
The multi-plate clutch assembly for both centre and rear differentials act in a similar way. The aim of the multi-plate clutch assembly is to prevent excessive differential slip and therefore maximise the traction performance of the vehicle. This is fundamentally different from the 'braked' traction control, which can only counter act differential slip when it occurs.

A certain amount of differential slip is required to allow the vehicle to turn corners and to remain stable under control of the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). The transfer box control module monitors the driver's demands through primary vehicle controls and automatically sets the slip torque at the differentials. The system is completely automatic and does not require any special driver input.

The multi-plate clutch assembly actively controls the torque flow through the centre differential and optimises the torque distribution in the driveline. The clutch assembly biases the torque from the transmission to the axle and wheels with the higher grip and prevents the wheels with the lower grip from spinning.

The multi-plate clutch assembly comprises the sprocket (7), which is connected to the front differential side gear, the motor levers (5) with the ball ramp mechanism (6), the clutch hub (1) as support for the clutch plates (3), the clutch piston (4) to generate friction between the clutch plates, and a pack of cup springs (2) to return the clutch piston into its original position.

One set of friction plates are connected to the clutch hub; the other set of friction plates are connected to the multi-plate clutch basket, which is welded to the centre differential housing.

TBH, the lack of technical info here is mainly for a couple of reasons, the main one is that most people don't care how it works - but just know it does Wink the other reason is that LR would get their collective knickers in a twist if great swathes of copyrighted info was reproduced in it's entirety on here....
Post #34666919th Sep 2008 10:49 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

if you haven't seen it - this is interesting
http://www.cutawaycreations.com/cutaways.p...fferential

Post #34667119th Sep 2008 10:53 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Take it for a run somewhere hilly and slippery, you'll probably see the rear diff activating (assuming it's actually fitted) more than the centre one
 The End  
Post #34667319th Sep 2008 10:58 pm
Roel

I knew already how the system rear diff lock worked but nice info and surely the pictures. I knew the G4 should have a rear diff lock and checked before picking it up that the 'small starter' motor above the diff, it is there.
Only I thought if you select rock crawl you see the centre diff lock goes red directely and when you make a turn it gets green. I expected the rear diff would do the same.

I have garantee but I bought it from Nene Overland (good deal and good service) in the UK so I can't just go there as I live in The Netherlands. I want to be sure something is wrong before I contact Nene about this.
I might have to find a place where I can really crosaxle it to make sure it is working or that the rear diff goes on red or not.
 Roel

1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Post #34668019th Sep 2008 11:08 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I think the moral is it will only come on when it wants\needs to .....not when you want it to Thumbs Up
Post #34668519th Sep 2008 11:14 pm
Roel

I played this morning a little on a new building site and the rear difflock started working. So no problem with that anymore. I had a feeling that at the start the diff lock wasn't that quick with engaging but on the end it engaged almost directely. Like if it had problems to engage in the beginning but later on it engaged smooth. Maybe because the G4D3 wasn't used much lately?

Just have to see if the Xenon lights keep on acting up or in Land Rover style repaired itselves.

Thanks
 Roel

1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Post #34759821st Sep 2008 10:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >