Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rear brake pads sensor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Rear brake pads sensor

I already posted this message in the sticky on brake pad replacement here but have had no response. Does nobody know, or does nobody read stickies?!

I replaced the rear pads and the sensor the other day, which went fine, except:

How the hell do you get the brake pad sensor cable to plug back in to where it belongs? I got the old one off without a problem, and routing the new one was not even too much trouble, since there is no liner at the rear. However, the cable plugs in behind the air suspension, which makes it very difficult to see what's going on. I presume it's simple when they're built, since the body's probably not on when the cable is fitted, but taking it off to change it later seems a bit extreme!

Anyway, I found that you can get the socket (the part "on the car") to a visible position, but I still can't get the plug (on the end of the new cable) to click into position correctly. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

And another thing...

lr1 wrote:
I do have replacement sensor cables and am going to cut them, and put a suitable connector closer to the brake to make changing easier, something LR should have done (eg. like Porsche).

Has anyone done this mod?

From the hassle involved in getting at the connectors, it looks like it could be a good idea (as long as a dealer doesn't go and rip the whole lot out during a service). What has/could be recommended as a connector?

Also, given that both times our brake pad warning light has come on, it has been the side without the sensor which has been the most worn, has anyone thought of fitting another sensor to the other side and just cabling across to the existing wiring on the other side? Why they only fitted one per "axle" is beyond me - cost cutting I suppose.

Post #26293822nd Feb 2008 3:37 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The only thing I can suggest is make sure the plug is the right way round, and smear in with some suitable lubricant. They are a pig to fit.

I don't see a problem modding the cable to suit. Why not try to get another socket the same as is fitted to the car, and use the male end of the old sensor cable, and make an extension wire that put the connection in a more accesible place. Then you would not have to cut the sensor wire each time you renewed it to fit plugs?

Post #26294622nd Feb 2008 3:49 pm
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Mod sounds good, do you know who makes them? They're branded Land Rover, and the packet is marked "Made in Germany", but not being up with electronics bits these days, I don't know where to look.

I am 100 % sure I've got it the right way round. It goes in until the latch starts to engage, then WILL NOT go any further. I've checked there's no mud fallen inside, etc. As you say, sods to fit!

Post #26295022nd Feb 2008 3:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >