Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rear Brake Pads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 
Rear Brake Pads

Just fitted a new set of pads to the rear brakes of my D3 to stop the squeak from the NS rear that was driving us mad - and turning heads in the street Laughing

The old ones were fitted last February so was a little Shocked to have to be doing them again so soon (approx 15000 miles driven since last change) but can't put up with that noise any more Evil or Very Mad .

I was even more Shocked to find that the wear on the pads was so uneven - the inner pads (against the piston) were twice the thickness of the outers and probably had 20k miles left in them. The outers were down to approx 3mm thick so have probably been rubbing on the disc since last Feb.

The new ones I fitted last night are the redesigned ones with the adhesive pad on the outer pad. They are obviously designed to stick to the caliper in the hope they will be pulled off the disc when the brakes are released. Lets hope this does the trick. Maybe this set will last 2 years Whistle

The redesign also means that if you want to replace the anti-rattle clips, you will have to pay Land Rover an extra £2 plus to do so as they are no longer part of the pad kit Evil or Very Mad
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #65409328th May 2010 8:17 am
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Might the uneven wear suggest the caliper slider is sticking since the piston side ones are worn so much less?

If not, maybe it's time to think about rotating the pads - inners to outers every 6 months Whistle Laughing
 Clive

Post #65411128th May 2010 9:25 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

At the last change, I changed discs as well so as I had the calipers off, I cleaned all the sliders and "copper eased" them. On checking this time, they moved very easily so it's not that.

The pads are a very tight fit in the anti-rattle clips though (to stop them rattling maybe Whistle ).

Wonder how effective the sticky pad mod will be when the caliper gets nice and hot. Perhaps it turns into a weld meaning that at the next change, you can't separate pad from caliper so have to change the whole lot Laughing
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #65411728th May 2010 9:42 am
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Albourneboy wrote:
...Wonder how effective the sticky pad mod will be when the caliper gets nice and hot. Perhaps it turns into a weld meaning that at the next change, you can't separate pad from caliper so have to change the whole lot Laughing

Got to keep the profits up somehow, there's Land Rover active marketing for you Laughing Laughing
 Clive

Post #65412528th May 2010 10:06 am
MiLow

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If the pads are a very tight fit in the anti-rattle shims then the problem will be corrosion or crud behind the shim. You need to pull off the shim and scrape this off back to clean metal or the pads will not retract and wear as previously (they also squeak!!)
Mike

Post #65418728th May 2010 12:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >