Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

RDS woes.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
RDS woes.

I'm experiencing problems with the RDS on my radio. Primarily on Radio 2 & 4. Radio 1 seems to be better.
The reception weakens & the RDS doesn't work. In areas with strong radio reception there isn't a problem.
The problem is very random, it can work perfectly for several days at a time.
All appears to be O.K with aerial connections etc.
My very helpful dealer (T.H.White Thumbs Up ) suggested that it could be a dodgy dry solder connection within the head unit.
So yesterday my head unit was taken out & put into the dealers 56 reg. HSE. With the aim of establishing if it was the unit or the aerial wiring in the actual vehicle.
I drove the dealers HSE for c. 275 miles & all was well at first, the RDS instantly working. I kept pushing the pre-set buttons to take it back to the pre-set frequency & instantly it would find an alternative stronger frequency if required.
But it started playing up again a bit on the M25 & was particularly bad driving down the A303 & across Salisbury plain.
So we assumed it was the head unit.
Today I collected my HSE now fitted with the head unit from the dealers HSE, within minutes of getting onto the M4, Radio 4 was losing reception & the RDS wasn't working. As I got further down the M4 all was fine.
So back to square one. Perhaps both head units have a similar problem. Doubtful though.
Any ideas?
Has the transmission changed for Radio 2 & 4?
I'm really puzzled, it worked perfectly for the first two years.

Last edited by LT on 16th Jul 2008 1:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #32257916th Jul 2008 12:36 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

Nothing wrong with your one - it is just a crap radio! They all behave like this without any particular reason. RDS fine one day, confused the next on the same run. Very irritating though.

Post #32258316th Jul 2008 12:42 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes, RDS is really very poor compared to all the other RDS equiped cars I've ever driven! Much stronger fluctuation in signal quality.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #32258816th Jul 2008 12:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

But mine was fine for two years Big Cry
Have LR improved the radio, wondering if say the 2008.5 unit might be any better?
Anyone with a 2008.5 HSE have similar issues?

Post #32258916th Jul 2008 12:54 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

Not that I am aware of. I don't think they accept there is a problem!

Post #32259116th Jul 2008 12:55 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My first (05MY) D3 was fine but my current (08MY) D3 has the same RDS problem Sad
 The End  
Post #32259416th Jul 2008 1:01 pm
LT

Well at least I'm not alone.
It really does my head in. I regularly spend 7 hours a day in my D3.
Not much to ask to be able to listen to your radio in a £40k+ vehicle Twisted Evil
Any 2008.5 model owners views on this?

Post #32259616th Jul 2008 1:07 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

all that is required to kick the RDS in again is to reselect the station. I've given up getting annoyed with it and just push the button.......defeated Crying or Very sad

Post #32260016th Jul 2008 1:10 pm
LT

Sadly not in my case. When it's playing up, I can push the pre-set button repeatedly, it just will not find another frequency. I have to manually tune it & even that doesn't always work. It's as if the radio just can't find good reception at all.
Which is why I initially thought it must be a problem with the aerial.

Post #32260516th Jul 2008 1:17 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi all,

My 08.5 MY RDS works fine as far as the audio station frequency switching is concerned but it is rubbish at holding on to classic fm for the navigation updates.

Post #32271616th Jul 2008 5:05 pm
LT

Thanks for letting me know London Lad.
It would be good to hear from anyone who had similar problems with an earlier model, but who now owns a 2008.5 model.

Post #32272616th Jul 2008 5:23 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Reception on my 08.5 SE with Hi-Line HK ProLogic 7 was superb on the run down the A37 from Yeovil. If anything it had too much choice, picking up half a dozen alternative frequencies for the main stations and even picking up KISS FM Confused

Will monitor it over the next week or so and report if there is a problem.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #32316317th Jul 2008 5:33 pm
LT

Thumbs Up

Post #32320217th Jul 2008 6:40 pm
philthejono

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

HAve been having problems with my radio tuning recently and found this thread. Have a 56 HSE and the radio has worked fine for the 18-months I have had teh vehicle, then after 1 1/2 on the phone, which is in a Landrover cradle in the arm-rest, when I came back after a short break, the phone would not connect (not charging, not recognised, including bluetooth). After borrowing a colleagues phone, I went for the blown fuse option, neither blown, but the phone worked perfectly after they were put back.

Since then, I have had a number of times when the frequency does not get changed. Usually lasts the whole journey, and regardless of what I push, can't get anything but white noise - radio will not find any stations even if you manually push the "move down .1MHz button). This morning, however, managed to get it to re-tune after about 1/2-hour (30-miles) of trying, but it went off again as soon as it needed to change frequency.

I have also noticed that I don;t get any traffic updates off the TMC (used to when I first had the vehicle, I think), and have seen another thread describing in detail how the TMC system works, and as this requires RDS to keep tuned to Classic FM, wondering if the two things are inter-related.

Anyway, car is in for it's 3rd service shortly and the dealer has said they like "challenges", so will see what they say.

However, has anyone else experienced this problem or managed to get it fixed?
 11 HSE Santorini Black  
Post #41039627th Jan 2009 11:04 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Perhaps irrelevant, but then again...

Over the last couple of months I've noticed interference over radio 2 - not noise, but actually another station overlying it. It seems to be all over the Swindon area. As there's digital information embedded in the radio channels that RDS relies upon, I'd guess that receiving two different data streams for what it thinks is one station would be confusing for it.

I too have noticed that occasionally RDS doesn't always perform as well as it used to; I assume it is interference at the transmitters as the problem didn't travel north with me to Kielder.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #41040527th Jan 2009 11:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >