Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Radar Speed Gun Detectors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Radar Speed Gun Detectors

I got done by Plod a few weeks ago on the A75 Dumfries to Stranrear road -they were using a hand held gun that used doppler technology (policeman explanation).
Has any one any data on the best type od speed camera / radar detector to buy.
My concern is that if dashboard mounted will it work with the heated screen in my D3 - also is any type of detector capable of seeing bothe fixed cameras & hand held ones.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #12401025th Jan 2007 9:43 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have a Belltronics 990 one and this works great. Its mounted on the right hand side just above the heating vent, this a good place because the heated screen wires inside the windscreen do not cover this area.

You have different modes as well depending on where you are traveling. Its saved my bacon a few times..

On the news tonight a bloke got off with a speeding fine from a copper who was using a Laser Gun, they found out he had not set the gun up and calibrated it at the start of his shift and as a result it was 10 miles an hour out

Flack Very Happy

Post #12401825th Jan 2007 10:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

Most laser detectors will only tell you that you have been caught and not give you chance to slow down. Radar ones will give more warning. One of the best sites around is http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/ There are some devices that prevent laser lock on for a few seconds and let you hit the brakes, not sure on the legality of them. There are plenty of review sites make sure they are UK based as models and the laws vary.
Hope this helps
Chris

Post #12402425th Jan 2007 10:41 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sorry to be an Ol Fart ..but best way of avoiding detection is ..
...Don't Speed ...if you do...keep within a reasonable speed above the limit ... let them catch somone else.
I got a Road Angel with Laser Detection.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #12405425th Jan 2007 11:37 pm
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have a Road Angel with laser detector and it's useless. By the time it picks up the fact that you've been spotted by the laser gun, it's already too late as they can legally log your speed up to 1 km distance.

Fixed 'safety cameras' are OK as these can be logged on a database and 'detected' by the GPS and are, in any case, usually placed in zones where the posted speed limits are sensible. But the mobile cameras are a real menace and are used for blatant revenue gathering.

To give an example, I was zapped in North Wales by a camera which was hidden behind some trees immediately before a de-restricted sign following a 30 mph limit. What the camera technician (not even a plod) was doing was catching drivers as they accelerated for the last 100 metres or so immediately before entering the 60 mph limit. I think I was doing about 50 mph. Fortunately, I challenged the FPN and the case was eventually dropped by CPS at a pre-trial hearing, due to a technicality. But be warned, the b Censored ds are out to get us.

If all drivers followed the speed limits then we would all be driving at the limit of our ability e.g. 70 mph on motorways. 140 mph is much more fun (not in a D3 though) and focuses the mind! And overtaking on country roads would become impossible. It is possible and indeed desirable to drive fast occasionally in perfect safety. Have you tried to safely overtake a tractor doing, say, 35 mph without going over 60? Nuff said.

Post #12412426th Jan 2007 1:23 am
crustyq

United Kingdom 
tail

I will tell you alittle tale that happened to me just before xmas.
I had just picked up my d3 and I had to go over the tops to drop off the other half at the airport.I was tired and very wired when I got lost in Stockport.Well I ended up in a very odd area and I had only just heard on the radio that morning that large 4x4 have been targeted by highjackings (x5 taken that morning with child inside).I had just started getting back on the right road when the lane started to close in on me bends every 40yrds and such.I got on a long straight and thought I would give my new toy a blow out .Well all was going well until 400 yrds infront a armed man jumped out into the road ( I did not see the green jacket and hat!!)..................Well James bond took the wheel and aimed the 4 ton side of the house onto his path..he Censored himself Twisted Evil
I did stop and had the usual 3 points and fine but my god he was white Laughing it was worth the fine to see his face.
I dont recomend this tacktick to anyone but faced with the same would I do the same again..................oh yes Twisted Evil
crustyq
 tie two birds together though they have four wings they cannot fly!!  
Post #12509529th Jan 2007 10:43 pm
Swifty

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Check out this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/southwest/s...eras.shtml

there is growing doubt over the accuracy of hand held or mobile devices and I thought I heard news that a successfull UK challenge to them as evidence had been upheld again in the last few weeks.

It could be worth challenging.

Rich

Post #12511129th Jan 2007 11:25 pm
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just to illustrate the daftness of the whole speed camera issue and their lack of any discrimination or discretion, hear this: A wife of a neighbour must be the worst driver I have ever seen. She has a string of low-speed accidents to her name resulting in at least one car being written off, that I know of, and damage to several others, to the extent that she can no longer get comprehensive insurance and now has to drive around in an old (battered) Sierra. About a year ago, she reversed into her own child, injuring him, although thankfully he has now fully recovered. She has not a single conviction for any of these accidents.

While I admit to being a bit of a tear- Censored from time to time, I have a completely accident-free driving record over 36 years, typically doing 30 to 40 thousand miles a year, but I have 9 points for minor speed infringements e.g. 80 mph on a (empty) motorway, 36 mph in a (rural) 30 zone and 69 mph in a 60 limit (while overtaking a tractor), all within the last two years.

Post #12515230th Jan 2007 12:22 am
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

noizeman - M53 eh? Arrow Park junction?
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #12591731st Jan 2007 7:44 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

thought detectors were illegal now ?

Post #12591931st Jan 2007 7:51 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I bought Tom Tom to load onto my PDA and download the monthly updates for the speed camera database. I did it because I had earned 9 points and wanted to try and save my license. Since having it, I haven't been caught again. It has the choice of an overlay for all cameras or files of each type of camera (Mobile. Fixed, Average speed Cameras and traffic light cameras) you can vary the distance for the warning and have it warn you for only cameras on your route. Make sure the mobiles are not set for your route though, because they're normally hiding up on a bridge above you. Which aint on your route but will get you nicked!
I think it's a fantastic bit of kit and stupid cheap too.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #12592531st Jan 2007 8:07 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I should have said that I don't download the database from Tom Tom. I get it from pocketgps.com which costs £19.00 per year to subscribe to the downloads as opposed to £10.00 per month from Tom Tom. Thumbs Up
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #12592631st Jan 2007 8:09 pm
DarrenG

United Kingdom 

fisherman wrote:
I should have said that I don't download the database from Tom Tom. I get it from pocketgps.com which costs £19.00 per year to subscribe to the downloads as opposed to £10.00 per month from Tom Tom. Thumbs Up

That should be www.pocketgpsworld.com or www.pocketgps.co.uk Wink I'm a DII G4 owner and lurker here as I'm tempted to buy a D3!
 Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com 

Last edited by DarrenG on 31st Jan 2007 8:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #12593131st Jan 2007 8:16 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Now you'e posted, U gotta! I moved from a DII to a D3, absolutely no regrets! Very Happy Very Happy

BTW Welcome! Thumbs Up

Post #12593231st Jan 2007 8:17 pm
DarrenG

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:
Now you'e posted, U gotta! I moved from a DII to a D3, absolutely no regrets! Very Happy Very Happy

BTW Welcome! Thumbs Up

Indeed so but I'm rather fond of the G4 and am biding my time until a D3 version pops up at the right price Smile

And FWIW, getting back on topic, the laser detectors are a complete waste of time. I've reviewed dozens with the help of my local RPU and none provided a warning that would give you time to reduce your speed, most simply warned after your speed had been recorded, some did nothing at all! The laser 'jammer's' legality has yet to be tested but the forthcoming Road Safety Bill will outlaw all 'active' detectors anyway which includes radar and laser including jammers. Thankfully simple GPS based safety camera warning devices are explicitly permitted in the proposed legislation.
 Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com 

Post #12593931st Jan 2007 8:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >