Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Question for motorcyclists
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
James W

United Kingdom 
Question for motorcyclists

What's the gig with illegal, deafining exhaust pipes? Since lockdown there seems to have been a big surge in bikes on the road as presumably motorcyclists have more essential journies and they just love using the roundabout nearby for standing starts.

I can't figure out what it is though with the ridiculous noise? Is it some kind of competition? Is it a sexual thing - Do you use them to impress or attract other like-minded men?

I also assume you have to fit a normal, legal exhaust pipe and stop riding it like a Censored for one day to get your MOT?

Curious. Question
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #215046431st May 2020 2:00 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

How have you figured out that the exhausts are illegal? Did you inspect them for the correct markings or do you have calibrated ears which can detect db levels from your garden chair?

I expect they like the noise, much the same as people with fast/powerful cars like the noise they make, or people with V8's like those, or owners of 2 strokes like those and so on.

Smile
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #215046531st May 2020 2:08 pm
Dimcandle

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Loud isn't necessarily illegal

I have a ZZR1400, mildly tweaked and has a an aftermarket exhaust.
Loud enough that I have to be careful to consider the neighbours when off to work early morning.

But there has to be some trade off to get 220bhp out of 1350cc and a pretty unrestricted exhaust is part of that trade off

Post #215046931st May 2020 2:29 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Question for motorcyclists

James W wrote:
What's the gig with illegal, deafining exhaust pipes? Since lockdown there seems to have been a big surge in bikes on the road as presumably motorcyclists have more essential journies and they just love using the roundabout nearby for standing starts.

I can't figure out what it is though with the ridiculous noise? Is it some kind of competition? Is it a sexual thing - Do you use them to impress or attract other like-minded men?

I also assume you have to fit a normal, legal exhaust pipe and stop riding it like a Censored for one day to get your MOT?

Curious. Question

Hello 'Curious' you seem like a nice boy, get them leather chaps on and go and introduce yourself to them. You know that you want to Very Happy You can trust all the random strangers on here, they wont judge Whistle

Post #215047431st May 2020 3:14 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The noise is there all the time, but normally is is mixed in with other background noise that is no longer there.

Post #215048631st May 2020 4:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

This should be underway by now?

I like a highly tuned bike/car, and think sound and drama add to the fun of it. However, not in a busy urban environment with 30mph limit.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-noi...l-vehicles

Post #215050631st May 2020 5:53 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have the same issue here in Norfolk. The road I live on is a 40 mph limit, yet most weekends it's like living on one of the stretches of the Isle of Man TT Evil or Very Mad
I don't need to hear bikes coming from 2 miles away, and hear them for the next 3 miles after they've gone past at 80+ on their resin crotch rockets.
Harley type bikes are similarly annoying, with that irritating thud, that serves no purpose other than to annoy. Twisted Evil
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #215051131st May 2020 6:18 pm
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Not all of them are illegal, I have one on mine, it is louder than stock but gives a lovely noise, much like the sports exhaust on a Mercedes C63 or Audi RS models,

And it looks a lot better than the standard

If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #215051331st May 2020 6:27 pm
autobiorob

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

It doesn't matter what you own, bike or car, there are always some idiots that will give the rest a bad name. I am sure there are even some Discovery idiots about......don't we get tarnished with the 'Chelsea tractor' tag

Post #215051731st May 2020 6:46 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Grunders wrote:
I have one on mine, it is louder than stock but gives a lovely noise, much like the sports exhaust on a Mercedes C63 or Audi RS models

This is not a dig at you Grunders, but this makes the point exactly. It's totally subjective.

I like a great sounding engine, and I'm guilty of having 'loud' pipes on cars and bikes in the past. I'm sure all the bikers that come past my house also think their bikes sound great, but when I'm having a quiet afternoon in the garden, I really don't think they sound great, and after a group of 10 or more have raced past, I'm really fed up with the noise.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #215052631st May 2020 7:30 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Grunders wrote:
Not all of them are illegal, I have one on mine, it is louder than stock but gives a lovely noise, much like the sports exhaust on a Mercedes C63 or Audi RS models,

You're not one of the ones on the East Lancs every couple of days are you ?

it's at least 200 yds from me and they're revving the nuts out of them … deffo 2 bikes, deffo racing. going off the revs, I reckon they're red-lining in 2nd on some serious bikes then dropping off for the speed cameras (although some days I don't think they give a sh i t ). So what's that going to be ? above 70 in a 40 zone ?

like I said, 200 yds min and it's loud here. gosh knows what it's like close up.

and - aside from the noise - I don't give a damn. It's what the A580 was made for, isn't it ?

Post #215055131st May 2020 8:39 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

CBX1000 bike of my dreams as a youngun (and now at stratospheric money for the original naked versions).
How can you not like the six at 10,000rpm.

Post #21506011st Jun 2020 12:40 am
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hardware wrote:
Grunders wrote:

You're not one of the ones on the East Lancs every couple of days are you ?

it's at least 200 yds from me and they're revving the nuts out of them … deffo 2 bikes, deffo racing. going off the revs, I reckon they're red-lining in 2nd on some serious bikes then dropping off for the speed cameras (although some days I don't think they give a sh i t ). So what's that going to be ? above 70 in a 40 zone ?

like I said, 200 yds min and it's loud here. gosh knows what it's like close up.

and - aside from the noise - I don't give a damn. It's what the A580 was made for, isn't it ?

It’s definitely not me, I hear them the same as I live the same sort of distance from the A580, traffic lights don’t help, it’s like they’ve got a starting line
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #21506051st Jun 2020 6:05 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Difference between a noisey bike versus a noisey car exhaust is that bikes rev about twice as high as a car.
They travel faster due to nimbleness and not being held up by other traffic.
And they're on and off the power for overtakes, bends etc.
So it's just not the static noise, it's how a bike is used.

I've got a little runabout 'sports car' with short exhausts exiting the bodywork on both sides of the engine.
It's as noisey as heck, I even had the boxes cut open to have more baffles added, but it's still too noisey.
But, I can control the noise by short shifting and running in higher gears.
I pass horses, country roadside walkers etc by passing slowly but in a higher gear, slipping the clutch and keeping the revs low.
But would much rather have quieter exhausts (and not draw attention to myself).

Reminds me: car on sorn, lockdown partially lifted, 1st June ...... better get it taxed and go out for a blast. Laughing
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #21506261st Jun 2020 9:03 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

As a biker myself i do sympathize with anyone who lives near a fast road .....but the road was there when you bought the house .ive walked away from house purchases for exactly that reason as i like piece and quiet

And as for that CBX when it downshifted i nearly went off in my undies Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #21506451st Jun 2020 10:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >