DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

push button starting, how secure is it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
pko

England 
push button starting, how secure is it?

Push Button Start and Keyless Entry
quote from the pre release notes "Standard for all derivatives, “Passive Start” is simplicity itself and does not require the key to be docked within the vehicle. The vehicle is unlocked with the remote which can then be placed in a pocket - the “Start” button is then pressed to start the engine
The optional Keyless entry system provides even greater convenience. When the key is in close proximity of the vehicle, it’s simply a question of opening the door and pressing the start button. All four doors feature a button to lock and arm the vehicle for added confidence and security."

re the above, I'm a bit confused with this, as it seems to me very insecure. If I'm reading it correctly it seems if the key is close to the vehicle anyone can get in, press the button & drive off, ie, if I'm round the back of the car loading it, with the key in my pocket, there's nothing to stop a person slipping into the car, pressing the red button & driving off unless I've locked all the other doors, which with the current system will sound the alarm as one door, the one I'm using will be open. Presumably there will be no steering lock either.
Surely this can't be right, can it?
 never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

current motor RRsport hse

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #4779848th Jun 2009 10:59 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

It would also make for a fast getaway by anyone who stole a key, not having to fiddle to get the key into the lock.

Post #4779908th Jun 2009 11:16 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The vehicle will detect the key is not present after a specified distance ...then it will shut down. A bit like on Top Gear when Clarkson stole Hammonds car from outside the restaurant while he was eating ...the motor conked out on the road.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4779928th Jun 2009 11:27 am
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I suppose if it didn't, LRA would drown under calls from people who'd driven somewhere but now realised they'd left the key at home. Well it's the sort of thing I'd do anyway.

If this new system means that there isn't a lump of very hard steering lock in front of your knee, then it's a good thing in my opinion!

Post #4779988th Jun 2009 11:36 am
pko

England 

Hi, Dg, that makes sense, but I'd rather them not get that far.Is there any kind of steering lock or device for locking the gearbox in park as on the current ones?

regards
paul

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #4779998th Jun 2009 11:38 am
marshn

England 

DG wrote:
The vehicle will detect the key is not present after a specified distance ...then it will shut down.

"Oh yes! This system does make it easier to steal your car... but don't worry! They won't get far! And think of the exercise you'll get chasing after your new motor eh? Soon work off those mince pies!"

Post #4780068th Jun 2009 12:01 pm
Getafix

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DG are u sure? The vehicles I have driven, once started, can drive without the key. Borrowed a new toyota, had key in my pocket, got out and lent the car to someone (engine running), had to ring them desperately saying not to turn it off as the frig'n key was still in my pocket!!!

Hate the system myself, but because its trendy, all the manufacturers are doing it. Much prefer a key myself.
 <*(((<<  
Post #4780118th Jun 2009 12:04 pm
jkp

Scotland 

As with renaults/ audi's and all other makes who use this system you have to have the key/fob within a certain distance to even start the car. The wifes scenic has this and the only thing that causes concern is that it is actually locked, as if you have it in your pocket you can open the doors.

Better to lock with alarm fob when walking away.

Not new technology by any stretch of the imagination

Post #4780278th Jun 2009 12:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Getafix wrote:
DG are u sure?

Well I'm not 100% sure at this stage obviously ...but a proximity key is the only logical answer for decent security.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4780308th Jun 2009 12:25 pm
Getafix

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think the reason Toyota do not have a proximity key, is that the battery in the "key" can go flat. Therefore the car needs to be able to be driven without receiving a signal. In this case, to start, one has to hold the fob against a certain part of the dash, a magnetic key, if you will.

Maybe the D4 will have the freelander setup, where one inserts the "key" into a slot, and then starts with a push button, which is of course just a wa#%, as this is more of a pain than a normal key, as the rest of the keys on your keyring scratch the dash as they swing back and forth annoyingly as you drive. And why the heck do you want to have to lean into the vehicle and muck around inserting and pushing buttons to start the thing. In the Toyota, you have to have your foot on the brake for goodness sake. My back can do without that. Am I the only person who wants to start the vehicle and not actually be sitting in it. (in Summer, get the aircon going, in winter, start warming the car up whilst strapping the kids in)

Can you tell I have "issues"? Please understand, love the landies, have a friend with a Freelander, great vehicle, just think the whole keyless entry is an unnecessary complexity, that is actually a step backwards. No manufacturer is going to listen to me though, so I should just get used to it huh???
 <*(((<<  
Post #4780318th Jun 2009 12:41 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Getafix wrote:
In the Toyota, you have to have your foot on the brake

You also have to depress the brake pedal in the Freelander and press the start button to fire it up

Post #4781068th Jun 2009 3:24 pm
SN

so what is the eff'in point - in a D3 you just poke key in and turn it and it fires

on an F2 you have to put key in slot, press brake pedal, then press button

RIDICULOUS overcomplication for no good reason (like the entire stop-start F2 TBH) Evil or Very Mad
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4781098th Jun 2009 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I like the following senario:

You're in your house, car parked on the drive, close enough to the card. Someone nicks the car roars off down the road and gets (say) 100 yards when car shuts down. You go running after the thief to get the car back with the keycard thingie in your pocket. You get 20 yards from the car and the thief starts it up and gets another 100 yards. Repeat until knackered!!!

It would be like something out of Tom & Jerry, would certainly be good exercise! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #4781148th Jun 2009 3:37 pm
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #4781298th Jun 2009 3:56 pm
pko

England 

TazDaz wrote:
Getafix wrote:
In the Toyota, you have to have your foot on the brake

You also have to depress the brake pedal in the Freelander and press the start button to fire it up

So is there still a steering lock of some sort?

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #4781548th Jun 2009 4:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >