Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

push button starting, how secure is it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The Freelander 2 I drove a few weeks back certainly had a steering lock. When it applied it sounded like a miniature EPB at work...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #4781698th Jun 2009 6:33 pm
GaryEss

United Kingdom 

If anyone wants to see how the system will work, go to your local Jaguar dealer and look at an XF with PEPS (passive entry, passive start) system. It's almost the same. On the XF if you are on the passenger side with the key in your pocket then the driver side doors or boot cannot be opened until you have opened the door on your side (and vice versa). FYI Jag has a total of 8 Lf antenna which relate to key position around or within the vehicle, 5 for entry (1 on each door) and 3 for starting (2 in passenger cabin, 1 in boot).

Post #48389719th Jun 2009 7:43 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

GaryEss wrote:
3 for starting (2 in passenger cabin, 1 in boot).

So if you've been abducted and stuffed into your own boot then they can still use your car to drive you to their hideaway. Good stuff Wink

Post #48389819th Jun 2009 7:49 am
GaryEss

United Kingdom 

Use the button on your key fob to open to boot and roll out........

Post #48390919th Jun 2009 8:43 am
GaryEss

United Kingdom 

sorry to open the boot and roll out......

Post #48391019th Jun 2009 8:44 am
Rainor

United States 

Getafix wrote:
...Maybe the D4 will have the freelander setup, where one inserts the "key" into a slot, and then starts with a push button, which is of course just a wa#%, as this is more of a pain than a normal key,

Hello Getafix.. I sat in a LH4 last week (2010 Preview Event) and the keyless entry / start is all proximity. You do not insert key fob into anything to start the engine.

Post #49830722nd Jul 2009 12:21 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I would be more worried about the kids playing in the front and starting the car somehow. I always take the key out when loading the car and kids are in it just in case. Quite often my wife grabs her key to load up the car and I drop her off somewhere, it will be so easy to forget my own key as the car woudl start anyway and then end up with her running off into the shops and the car stopping.

To be honest I don't see the point of it, I drove a Freelander with it and it just made the whole sequence of just turning ignition on/off a pain.

I like technology, but it has to be a benefit and I can't see it with this only potential problems.

Post #49834222nd Jul 2009 8:30 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I agree with countrywide on the Freelander 2; is a pain compared to the D3, however you still have to put the key in.......strangely though there appears to be no selftest on the FL2 that I noticed. Key in, press button and it starts!!!

I find foot on brake, press button and moving gear lever much more complicated and coordination requiring than turning the key to start Whistle Laughing
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #49834422nd Jul 2009 8:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The key fob has to be pretty close to the door (~3ft) to open, and has to be inside the car for the start button to work. GaryEss has it well covered with the Jaguar comparison.

It is quite clever, and won't let you lock the vehicle if the key is inside. The engine immobiliser operates within 5 seconds of the key being removed from the vehicle........even with the engine already running.

Post #51059722nd Aug 2009 11:21 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Drove one yesterday a tried the above issues out.
The key has to be insdie the car to start it. Wound window down and placed key fob on top of door edge, car would NOT start it could not detect th key. Place key on top of instrument binacle and the car started.
Once the car is started the key can be removed and the car CAN be driven off. So in theory if you are driving down the road and sombody flags you down to say there is a problem, you stop get out and leave car running whilst you check the issue, they can jump in and drive off.
The other issue that the sales man pointed out. You go out and start car for you and SWMBO to go out, before you drive off you get a phone call and have to go back in doors but twell SWMBO to carry on out. She drives off soem 50 miles away and does what ever, comes back to car to find she cannot open or start car because her keys are in her other bag at home, to make matters worse you only have one car.
This could be a bit of an issue.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #51063023rd Aug 2009 9:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Quote "The engine immobiliser operates within 5 seconds of the key being removed from the vehicle........even with the engine already running" .Unquote

Whistle
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #51063223rd Aug 2009 9:15 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

That quote did not work on the one I tried yesterday, car started and driven off with no key in car, salesman had it in his hand. Admitedly did not drive far. Sales man also told us that they had been asked to make people aware that once started the car can be driven off without the key being in the car.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #51063723rd Aug 2009 9:30 am
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

That's got to be worrying for people intending to buy a D4, Shocked So the blurb doesn't match reality, more tests needed by the Forum to answer this one. It's good that Russell thought to test this Thumbs Up
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #51064123rd Aug 2009 9:37 am
NJF

Quote:
Once the car is started the key can be removed and the car CAN be driven off. So in theory if you are driving down the road and sombody flags you down to say there is a problem, you stop get out and leave car running whilst you check the issue, they can jump in and drive off.

We have anti-car-jack systems fitted after-market to cars in our fleet. The immobiliser definitely permits a thief to drive the car for a few minutes before it operates (whether on first start or on change of driver whilst engine running). The idea is that if you are forced to surrender your car, you'll be a safe distance away when the thieves' delight turns sour.

Just my ha'penny's worth. IMHO I also think that the button thing is a bit of a gimmick.

Post #51064223rd Aug 2009 9:47 am
GaryEss

United Kingdom 

Answers to above
You might be interested to know that the material I have says that the PEPS system is optional for Discovery 4 (but I have not seen one with conventional key, maybe market specific)
If the car is running and you (or your spouse etc) get out with the key, the car will still keep running until it is turned off. Then it will not start. The immobiliser function is to stop it starting, not stop it running, so once it's going it will keep going. The Message centre should warn the driver that the "smart key not present" if the engine is running and the key is out of range of the vehicle. So if you get out with the key in your pocket , and leave the car running,then someone could in jump in and drive off (which also can happen with a normal mechanical key if you leave the car running when you get out). However, in this case, they could not start the vehicle again once it had been turned off, so on par (or slightly better) than with a normal key if you make this mistake.
The potential for a new mistake is if your wife walks off with the key in her handbag when you are dropping her off (for instance), hence the driver warning if the car is running and the key out of range.
The above is based on Jaguar XF, but I expect that LandRover will follow this model.
FYI LR4/RRSport have a slightly different system than "full size" Range Rover- this has passive start only, not passive entry

Post #51103524th Aug 2009 5:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >