Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Protection of Body Paint
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Alfwarez

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Protection of Body Paint

After reading an article given in "Leisure Wheels" about the new RR diesel being covered with plastic film supplied by Maizey Plastics to protect the body paint I decided to do some investigation. I contacted Maizey Plastics in Longmeadow, Johannesburg and got a sample of their "Promo Series" transparent plastic film which has an adhesive on one side. The main problem that if the film was left to long on the body, one week, it was difficult to remove as the glue stuck to hard to the body paint. The plastic film tore off leaving all the glue behind which I removed with paraffin. I then had a brilliant idea and that was to first apply car polish to the car body before attaching the film. I did not even wait for the polish to dry. The advantage of this is that if you make a mistake of putting on the film you can simply peel it off and reapply. After leaving it for a week I removed the film with ease leaving no glue behind. The big test came when we set off for Botswana for two and half weeks. It took me and my son 4 hours to lay the plastic film on both sides of the vehicle, with the polish underneath.

The big test for the plastic film was at third bridge which was a loop from the place they launched the motor boats down the channels back to camp which consisted of driving on a road where nearly all the bushes and dreaded thorn trees rubbed against the sides of the vehicle. The second test was the Passarge Valley loop which was hell as all the trees in one section covered the road completely and the car had to do some serious bundu bashing.

After coming back today I was nervous that I could not take the plastic film off, but to my surprise it came off with no effort at all leaving no glue behind. The beauty of it that the paint behind the plastic was clean and free of scratches. I would really recommend that anyone going in the bush gives this a try, it does require a bite of effort but well worth it. I have included photos of me taking off the plastic film as well as the product used. If you look closely. you will be able to see the wax layer behind the plastic film.

Post #15142223rd Apr 2007 8:51 pm
Alfwarez

By the way has anyone found a way to remove scratches from the plastic parts such as the wheel arches, door mirrors and plastic fittings on the sides of the doors and pillars.

Post #15143723rd Apr 2007 9:21 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds like a gret preventative step.
Wish I'd thought of this before venturing into the bush first time.
Woodmead carwash did a great job getting rid of most of my scratches, but the plastic remains all screwed up.
I can't think of any way to get rid of plastic damage except to replace the parts before you put the car up for sale.

Post #15154424th Apr 2007 7:08 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

How much does this stuff cost ?

Post #15157524th Apr 2007 9:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Riegs

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Great Idea & I presume it will cost a lot less than the product offered by VPS. By the way what happened to the Rangie in your gallery?

Post #15175724th Apr 2007 8:10 pm
Alfwarez

Very expensive all of R12.00/m2. A hell of a lot cheaper than the Polyurethane film which they are presently advertising in all the 4x4 magazines.

Post #15178024th Apr 2007 9:29 pm
Riegs

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Thanks for the reply!

I would really like to know what happened to the Range Rover Sport - stuck on the beach in PE?

Post #15204525th Apr 2007 6:31 pm
Alfwarez

He was in High Range Sand Mode with air suspension fully extended. By the time they got down there they had snapped 4 ropes. One tug with a snatch strap after breaking the suction with an air jack and he was out. The poor guy was so shocked he asked the rescuer to drive the Rangie off the beach with his 2 water bikes.

The reason I put this on the site is to show that their a lot off people who have 4X4's and think that they can go anywhere. The incident will cost him dearly in the end as its difficult to get rid of salt water completely. To give you more info is that the place is Port Elizabeth at Hobbie Beach. Its basically 20 to 30 long and people use it as a launch pad for jet skies and ski boats. A lot of 2X4 use it with no problem and I have even seen a Ford Granada launch jet skies from this site without incident. Its also a place where people get a kick off by been seen in their latest 4x4 especially when a lot of people are around. This ass must have gone down their with full tire pressures and to far into the sea think "hey look at me I have a RR" and "bang" with the result he got stuck.

Post #15207725th Apr 2007 8:01 pm
STEVEGABS

Botswana 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just the thing I have been looking for (Apart from the magnetic stuff)
I presume the name on the photo insert is the name of the product?
How many meters to cover the D3 sides?
Is it on a standard length roll?
Is one layer good enough?

Post #15222526th Apr 2007 1:19 pm
Alfwarez

The product name is the one given on the photograph. The height of the roll is 60cm. I used 12m to cover both sides of the LR3. I don't know if this company is represent in your country. The product is made in Belgium. It is basically a SELF ADHESIVE VINYL SIGNAGE MATERIAL.

Post #15242526th Apr 2007 10:07 pm
Alfwarez

Sorry, forgot your last question. Yes one layer was found to be more than adequate to take on thorn bushes. If you are concerned you can always stick another layer on on top of the first film layer.

Post #15242926th Apr 2007 10:10 pm
Alfwarez

Embarassed this product is supplied in whatever length a customer requires in South Africa, so the advantage one does not have to buy a whole roll, thus making it very cheap.

Post #15243026th Apr 2007 10:13 pm
dbregman

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I just found a supplier here in the states and ordered some - I will report back - I ordered Silver to match my paint (I hope)
 David
'05 LR3 Zambezi Silver
ARB Bull Bar
Superwinch EP9.0
Rasta Sill Guards
Land Rover Raised Air Intake
Hannibal Roof Rack
Rear Access Ladder

Post #15250127th Apr 2007 6:22 am
STEVEGABS

Botswana 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Thanks

Have located similar product locally.
Will keep you informed

Post #15250327th Apr 2007 7:05 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I found a place that sells thin magnetic sheets in 6 m rolls - it's going to be a Censored ache to cut to size , but at least it is reusable and easy to apply - I'll let you know how it goes

Post #15886218th May 2007 8:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >