Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Price, Alloy, Tyre Protection - Good idea for who?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ChrisA

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Price, Alloy, Tyre Protection - Good idea for who?

Hello,

I was offered these options...

Price Protection: If you write off your car, it gets nicked etc you'll get the full time of purchase invoice amount back for 3 years - £599
Vehicle Protection: They spray something like scotchguard on your leather seats £199
Alloy Protection: If you kerb your alloys they fix them up to 10 times for free £199
Tyre Protection: If you ruin your tyres somehow or have a blow out they'll replace a tyre upto 4 times in 3 years £199

...I'm not convinced they're worth it from my point of view as a rule of thumb I think if they are trying to sell this type of insurance then it's probably in thier interest but not mine.

My thoughts are: I've never had a blow out (touch wood) and maybe had 1 or two tyres ruined by a nail in around 20 years of driving, I've not scuffed my alloys on my current Freelander, surely leather is wipable anyway, I have a good insurance company.

Thoughts anyone?

Post #7560513rd Feb 2011 2:43 pm
mwhwsmith

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I tend to think these are all very poor value products. In general, insurance sold at 'point of sale' is very profit for the provider and hence poor for the customer. Because it is so profitable, the insurers can pay large commissions to dealers to push it. Hence it is pushed quite hard. For example mobile phone cover at PoS has a 5-10% claims cost (ie the insurer only pays out 5-10% of the premium to cover claims made).

You have two choices: a) leave it or b) haggle very aggressively.

Just my opinion.

Post #7560583rd Feb 2011 2:55 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Never had tyre/alloy protection, so can't comment on that - my experience is that AutoGlym and interior protection/Scotch guarding can be done a lot cheaper by going to an independant.

Gap insurance is also cheaper elsewhere. However, I got a quote for gap insurance from another company and then when the dealer asked if I wanted it I told him "yes, but only if you match/beat this quote" - and they did Mr. Green
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #7560873rd Feb 2011 3:58 pm
Phil1644

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

About 15 years ago I worked for a large company that had a big fleet of vehicles. They had very basic third party insurance but were "self insured" for all other risks on the basis that if a vehicle got damaged a) did it need repairing at all or was it still serviceable and b) if they pooled all the premiums into a notional "pot" they would spend less in an average year on repairs than they paid out in premiums (because an insurer is out to make a profit).

To some extent I follow the same idea with my home and car insurance, buying the cheapest fully comp with a big excess. I never take Appliance insurance and just basic holiday medical insurance, never covering lost property etc. I hope that over say 10 or 20 years what I save in additional premiums will more than pay for any "losses".

I would be tempted to keep your money in your pocket and take a calculated risk!!

Post #7561733rd Feb 2011 8:21 pm
DrLex

Iceland 
Re: Price, Alloy, Tyre Protection - Good idea for who?

ChrisA wrote:
[...] I think if they are trying to sell this type of insurance then it's probably in thier interest but not mine.

Ding ding ding! You've got your answer. You'll often get Gap insurance with your motor insurance policy - NFU for example. Save your money.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #7561853rd Feb 2011 8:53 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Yup, but the NFU gap insurance only covers 1st year - I wanted years 2 & 3 cover as well.
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #7561903rd Feb 2011 8:58 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Do you want fries with that? Laughing
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7562083rd Feb 2011 9:30 pm
WelshDisco

Wales 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Price Protection: If you write off your car, it gets nicked etc you'll get the full time of purchase invoice amount back for 3 years - £599

I was offered this on Monday for £399 - Landrover Solihull did not take it out!

Vehicle Protection: They spray something like scotchguard on your leather seats £199

This was done free of charge!

Alloy Protection: If you kerb your alloys they fix them up to 10 times for free £199

Did not take it out!

Tyre Protection: If you ruin your tyres somehow or have a blow out they'll replace a tyre upto 4 times in 3 years £199

Did take the tyre protection as my Disco 3 had a coach bolt in one of the tyres at just two week old and it cost me £250 for a new tyre!

Its just another way they get money out of you!!
 2010/60 Discovery 4 XS Zermatt Silver - Privacy Glass, Timed Climate (with remote), Voice, 4x4 screen, Bong on lock/un-lock (Pete BellAutos)
Discovery TDV6 SE (06) Gone!
Military 90 (1986) gone but not fogotten!
TV Option (Thanks to Wiggs)
Parrot CK3100 

Post #7562143rd Feb 2011 9:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ChrisA

Thanks for all your comments. This forum's great!

Here's what I've decided/concluded:

I think the chances of me writing off the car/having it stolen AND ruining a tyre/blow-out AND crunching my alloys AND spilling something damaging on the leather seats are pretty small.

Perhaps I will need to repair an alloy and maybe it's my time for a bolt through a tyre but even if I do odds are I'll still be better off overall by not taking out these POS policies.

Thanks again everyone.

Post #7563464th Feb 2011 11:13 am
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

Chris

i have sent you a PM

B

Post #7564274th Feb 2011 2:09 pm
Edd

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

MrH I think you'll find the NFU offer a two year cover deal now - I asked recently as I thought it was only one

Post #7568805th Feb 2011 12:08 pm
ChrisA

Hello,

After the reading your replies and talking to my insurance bloke I told the Land Rover finance guy that I didn't want the extra cover and he instantly dropped the price to £500 all in. When I say "all in" that didn't include the Price Protection insurance but all the others. I countered with an offer of £250 which he declined and delightfully he followed it up with a very good impression of a grumpy teenager for a while before sulking off. I was unimpressed with this, he'd effectively said "Yeah, last week I was trying to rip you off and this week I'm going to try and rip you off a little less". If he'd given me this price originally I would've been more inclined to go for it - maybe.

Coincidentally, I was in Mercedes buying an E Class (with someone else not me personally buying it - I'm not a footballer) and the salesman also tried to push the exact same insurance schemes. This is not surprising as both Mercedes and Land Rover are "owned" by Inchape. What was surprising is that all the policies were £100 more each. I'd could understand that if the car was more expensive or had more wheels than the Disco but it was about 10K cheaper, and had four similarly sized wheels. I don't begrudge these guys making an honest profit out of me but the key here is "honest"...

...and I suppose, for me at least, that sums up the bitter sweet that is buying a car from these people. On the one hand I get a superb new car, my nostrils are even now anticipating the new car smell and on the other hand no matter how good I think the deal is, regardless of the free rubber mats and the warm salesman's smile there's always a little nagging feeling...that I've been taken for a ride.

Happy motoring people!

Post #7585318th Feb 2011 12:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >