Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

ron Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #3069605th Jun 2008 6:14 pm
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Chris

Thats a useful piece of information - is that Mobil the oil company?

I don't tow or do much stop-start driving and drive fairly gently so I reckon around 10-12K is OK. But I think the 15K service interval is too long for oil change if you drive mainly in town or do heavy towing.

Post #3071936th Jun 2008 10:02 am
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nigel C

Yes it was Mobil the oil Company who did it (http://mr2.com/ARTICLE/Mobil1.html) . But I had just read an really interesting article in a bike magazine about the additives added to oils and why modern synthetic and semi synthetic dont need changing like old oils. It also explains how synthetic does not mean good its what chemicals are added and the quality. There is no cheap good long life oil apparently because of the cost of the raw ingredients that make up a long life oil.

If you notice there are new oil specifications for oil in long service interval cars. My Audi is upto 20000 miles between changes but you need to use a different specification of oil which according to the manufacturers can last upto 30000 miles depending on driving (50601 I think look at Castrol SLX longlife).

I totally agree that oil changes depend on useage. However if you are going to change say every 6000 miles there is no need to use a very expensive high specification oil designed for long service intervals.

Oil I notice is one of those subjects people never agree on but thats my two peneth.

Cheers
Chris

Post #3074276th Jun 2008 9:41 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
....agreed

cmyers_uk wrote:
Oil I notice is one of those subjects people never agree on but thats my two peneth.

...agreed long life oils can do vast distances - 18k in the case of my VW...what concerns me is highly contaminated state of the oil at the change point....the VW's a company lease car so not my long term problem...if it were my own it would be done far sooner....any amount of additives cant offset contamination (in simple terms water. soot etc )

.....start of this thread was what to do if the D3 was a long term proposition to preserve the engine........about somebody's prized possession which is an entirely different situation when they are faced with repair / replacement bills or ultimate value of vehicle....the way I look at it is "the frequency of changes provides the life in the engine in later years"..
.....are the compressions still there....
.....does the engine burn lots of oil...
....how many turbos have been fitted...
there may be regrets that a different strategy wasn't in place 0 miles to 100,000miles
Optimum oil change in a vehicle engine is the essence of preventative maintenance
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #3074586th Jun 2008 10:10 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

You only have to look at the problem Audi/VW are facing with their PD diesels now they have more miles on them. Small ends on the conrods worn, causing bad piston slap, cam lobes completely wornaway, all symptoms of extremely long drain intervals.

The question is, how long do you intend to keep you D3? If you want to keep it for a long time, then one change in between shouldn't break the bank.

Regards
Steve

Post #3075507th Jun 2008 5:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As I said its something people dont ever agree on. For me 1, 000,000 miles on mobile 1 and 374,000 is good enough for me. Very Happy

Enjoy

Post #3075757th Jun 2008 8:45 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

SteveNorman wrote:
You only have to look at the problem Audi/VW are facing with their PD diesels now they have more miles on them. Small ends on the conrods worn, causing bad piston slap, cam lobes completely wornaway, all symptoms of extremely long drain intervals

I take it that is the variable (long life) intervals and not the fixed (10k) intervals?
Got me worried a bit there Big Cry Thumbs Up

Post #3076557th Jun 2008 4:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Yes variable interval servicing. Can be up to 30,000 miles & 2 years!!! Shocked
I haven't heard of it on 10,000 fixed intervals
Regards
Steve

Post #3077337th Jun 2008 9:28 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Well, iv got a Fabia vRS with the PD engine, maybe just Skoda have the 10k intervals, which isnt a bad thing Thumbs Up

Post #3078478th Jun 2008 8:17 am
dgrr

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

ronp wrote:
Neil Pettersen wrote:
ronp wrote:
...... also invested in a K&N Filter with a 'milllion mile' warranty......

...I've got a JE re-map, but yes there is an improvement in performance and also MPG
Was getting around 27mpg at best, now getting 29mpg = +7%

Hi Ronp,
I've not yet had a re-map, but seriously considering it... meanwhile, I had planned to fit a K&N air filter. Are you saying that your extra 2mpg is DIRECTLY resulting from the K&N filter? If I have understood this correctly, I will definitely get on with this! If 50 quid or so's worth of K&N filter is giving you an extra 35 miles (or using 1.5 gallons less) per tank, then it's paid for itself after only 8 tankfuls. Mmmmmm...
 DGRR  
Post #3081389th Jun 2008 8:26 am
Jamo

Australia 

I have been advised that filters such as K&N types provide better performance/economy as they let more air through at the expense of filtration. Thus you get better economy but the downside is greater engine wear over time.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #3081749th Jun 2008 11:19 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

SteveNorman wrote:
Yes variable interval servicing. Can be up to 30,000 miles & 2 years!!! Shocked
I haven't heard of it on 10,000 fixed intervals
Regards
Steve

Varies over here but mine is serviced ast every 15 thousand Kilometres or 9300 miles.I do anything up to ( in extreme cases) 2000 kilometres per week so it's necessary.

Post #3081869th Jun 2008 12:24 pm
Andrew A

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

ronp wrote:
Got mine from Twisted Performance - £70.
Not aware of any upgrade kit???

My local supplier is ordering one for me (have to confirm it is the correct one still) and its only £39 Shocked He recons oiling is done every 10K odd and the service kit is about £20..

Here are the details of supplier :
UPAUTO SHOWROOM & WORKSHOP
UNIT 2 CANDLEBY COURT,
CANDLEBY LANE,
COTGRAVE.
NOTTINGHAM
NG123JG England
0115 9127010 3 / 5
 2005 TDV6 HSE, Dual battery (TFC) with 1000w inverter,

Fitted finally, rear ladder and mantec plate - wow too easy Smile

To be fitted : Thinking about ARB bumper Smile 

Post #30858110th Jun 2008 1:13 pm