DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Power Steering Fluid Severe Leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Power Steering Fluid Severe Leak

This afternoon put golf bags in boot - no oil spots on rear

Drove about 30k went to open tailgate - noticed a few dark spots on bumper & tow hitch. Had look underneath, nothing obvious.

After golf back on road. After about 5k and at first highway exit noticed funny noise then steering begining to load up. Had a look and could see wet area on underbody near drivers side front wheel.

Got home ok but steering almost impossible on right angle turns, heavy and notchy feeling on normal corners. Underside dripping fluid from front to rear. Power steering reservoir empty.

Nearest dealer is about 2 hours and 100+k away. They said I should drive down on Monday and they would fix.

Any thoughts?
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #45837324th Apr 2009 9:03 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

assuming its not the pump (and it might be for all i know), would you do any further damage running the system dry over 100+kms, or would it be better to be recovered on the back of a lorry Question

Alternatively is it possible to see where the leak is and effect a temporay repair that would enable you to put some more fluid in to get to the dealers.

Hope you get it sorted OK Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45837824th Apr 2009 9:10 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Search +power +steering +leak brought up a lot of results.

Including this one - http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32319.h...ering+leak

Post #45840024th Apr 2009 9:51 am
IanR

Thanks Gareth

Sounds very much like my problem.

I did try searching +power +steering +leak. Unfortunately every time I chose a result and then after reading tried to go back to the search list the forum would drop out. I would then have to log back into the forum, do search again, select result, read, try to go back ......... after a while I gave up and posted the above message. Is there a better way of going from one seach result to another?

Thanks again
Ian
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #45841424th Apr 2009 10:32 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sounds odd Confused

If I enter a search, and it displays the results, if I go into a topic and its not the one I want, I hit the back button on the browser and it returns to the list of topics, If I hit back again it returns to the search page with the query still entered.

I am using Firefox, maybe that makes a difference ?

Post #45842024th Apr 2009 10:43 am
SJR

I always open the search feature in a new tab by right clicking on the search link.

Then do the same for any results that you want to view, it means you can compare results by flicking between tabs and not opening up and closing threads constantly.

It also keeps the forum open/usable all the time for asking supplementary questions etc.

Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45842524th Apr 2009 10:48 am
IanR

Gareth

I use Windows Explorer 7 and almost always have this problem with searches.

Will try SJR's suggestion of opening another tab.
Post #45845024th Apr 2009 11:49 am
IanR

Just tried SJR's technique.

Bow down

It works a treat Very Happy
Post #45845324th Apr 2009 11:56 am
SJR

8) Thumbs Up
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45845424th Apr 2009 11:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >