Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Power feed from trailer electrics (inboard)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Alex08

Scotland 

Thanks Richard & Will. I'll tap into the purple wire and let you know. I'm not averse to scotchlocks for some low current non-critical apps, but this is definitely not one of these. Yes it is for an HF set - I probably won't need the full 25A, but it is sensible to be there just in case. However I don't know how long I would have to use it with the engine off before I flatten the battery. Might be best to put it through an ignition switched relay. Is this wire fused at the back (I can't see one of that current in the block), or is it fused in the battery compartment? The radio has inline fuses and an EMC filter in any case so the ferrite probably isn't necessary.

Looks like it might be worth surface mounting a power connector fed from this wire to give an accessible permanent live feed in the back - that way I can plug in the radio or anything else. Oh well, an unplanned trip to Maplin today Very Happy

Post #23781228th Dec 2007 7:17 am
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Yes, it's fused at the front I think.. Luckily not blown it yet! Battery should be fine for several hours. If it's a SSB rig then the average current draw in a/h will be pretty low, and you are only Tx-ing part of the time so not an issue for an afternoon of playing. If you have a ignition relay and have to have the ignition on to run the set but no engine running, this will soon flatten the battery as the D3 is very thirsty for power as all the electronics and gissmo's are powered up. Crying or Very sad

Post #23794928th Dec 2007 6:14 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

Point taken - it was to force me to keep the engine on! Anyway I connected it up today without any major issues - the only problem is the lack of 'give' in the wire so getting access to it was tricky as someone else had the same idea before me and tapped that wire! In the end I couldn't get it soldered without causing too much collateral damage so it has been choclate blocked. Seems fine - I'll have a think about the relay - just not very keen leaving live feeds lying around....! However it seems a good feed point to keep the antenna cable short and use a remote head on the radio.

Power wise, at the moment it will be mainly FM but I'm not discounting SSB at some point on a hill. Either way power levels should be fine for the wire's capacity.

Post #23809429th Dec 2007 12:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >