DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Possible new Owner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
baz

Possible new Owner

Hi

Please be gentle as I’m new.
I have been trawling through various posts for weeks now and am ready to take the plunge (GULP)
I currently have a BMW 335D M Sport, 18 months old, but want something more comfortable for long journeys, the german beauty has been a fantastic car, great economy considering, solid built quality and 100 reliable.
I just hopefully don’t want to run into some of the problems I read about on here constantly. Although I’m willing to take the chance I guess.

Below is the spec I have opted for and the price quoted from Hillendale in Nelson, are there prices over the odds and should I be paying much less.
I will haggle there socks off but would like some opinions on the price anyhow.

Land Rover Discovery HSE TDV6 ( colour to be confirmed )
Privacy Glass
Carpet Mat Set
Front Lamp Guards
Rear Lamp Guards
Mud Flaps Front
Mud Flaps Rear
Side Steps

Total on the road price …. £46216.00

Post #23387413th Dec 2007 11:44 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's worth trying a few dealers, and also do it towards the end of the month, if it been quiet, they may be keener to sell.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #23387613th Dec 2007 11:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Try Lakeland Land Rover (site sponsor) for a competitive quote and see what price they come up with, i suspect it might be less than £46k (which i think is a bit expensive)

After market features such as mats and lamp guards can be picked up much cheaper either via ebay or from Nick@Yeovil. Make sure your not paying dealer inflated prices......

Welcome to the site btw Thumbs Up

Post #23387913th Dec 2007 11:53 pm
JMC

Scotland 

If you can't get the best of deals at this time of year then something's wrong! The price shown seems a bit steep to me, but I haven't looked at costs for almost a couple of years.

Speak to Ryan at Lakeland Land Rover (RPJ on here). I'm sure he will point you in the right direction. Mind you, they have sold so many cars this year that they don't need to sell more......... Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #23388013th Dec 2007 11:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi Baz, welcome to the site Thumbs Up

With the exception of the privacy glass (assuming it's the factory fit version) all the other accessories can be had from Nick (Yeovil) with 20% off list so if they're not knocking that much off don't bother getting them from them. Don't know what the list price of an HSE is nowadays but I know some owners have got them for under £40k in the past, definitely worth shopping around other dealers
 The End  
Post #23388213th Dec 2007 11:55 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Welcome Baz Thumbs Up

I'd be getting a target price by looking at what one of the Brokers can do one for, then consider how much the direct contact with a friendly dealer is worth to you, add that amount, see where you get to with the dealer, & if not...

... Talk to Lakeland Thumbs Up

& if all that doesn't work ... buy (carefully) from the broker.

FWIW, I reckon about £40k at that spec??
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #23388713th Dec 2007 11:57 pm
JMC

Scotland 

I was thinking just over £40k but this has now been backed up by a couple of people.

Six grand (+ change) more than £40k is a lot of christmas presents..... Neutral
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #23388914th Dec 2007 12:00 am
lafona00

United Arab Emirates 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hello,

As a very recent new owner of the car, you should make the step foward. It is fantastic.
I have to admit, I was into LR before.

Why don t you try

http://www.trade-sales.co.uk

34 or 36 k for an brand new HSE.

Before knowing this site, I bough mine for 32k buit it is onnly an XS with leather. Big Cry

This has been used by some friend before.
 Arno
No more LR... but a Toyo
Java Black Disco 3 XS Auto - MY2008 - Leather, heated seats.
Series 3 Def 90 - 1993 

Post #23395014th Dec 2007 9:06 am
Snowy

England 

http://www.drivethedeal.com/ quote £39.5K including privacy glass, and any colour you want... You'll have to get the other bits from Nick@Yeovil. Whistle
 The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us yet.  
Post #23395814th Dec 2007 9:35 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Welcoem to the site Baz.

£46 is the standard price. You should be able to lose 4k off that price with no problem & then another £1k with a little more work, then maybe somethign else if you're really really good.

Otherwise, there are endless web suppliers with a better price, but you don't always get to choose the dealer. So if the dealer is important, then somewhere between 41 & 42 realistically. If it's not, then anywhere 39.5 - 41.

I've had no problems with mine , 13k miles since March. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #23398114th Dec 2007 10:26 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Baz

To back up the others. The base car staring price for a standard new HSE should start just under 40k before you start any real negotiation Wink

Don't be afraid to buy form the other end of the country if necessary to get teh right service and deal.

Good luck Thumbs Up
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #23398514th Dec 2007 10:30 am
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Baz,

Basically what everyone else said. £46k + is steep. Mine was a factoy order HSE with privacy/side steps and TV (which is now standard) carpet mats and rubber mats. £42k (in July 08MY).

You should really aim for this or less if it's a dealer stock car. Thumbs Up
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #23399714th Dec 2007 10:57 am
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Spend half an hour on Google and find the best price from a broker.
Print it out.
Go to you local dealer, they will match it.
If they don't, go to another til you find one that will.
If buying on finance, no way pay the landrover rate, at least negotiate a "landrover contribution" of at least £1500 which will effectively get the apr down to something more sensible.
I have to say, Lancaster in Reading were great. Dealt with a young chap called Mark Jeffrey and he couldn't have been more helpful. No fuss, had a price match in within 10 mins.
(The dealer in Ascot would have done a smilar deal, Hunters in Guildford didn't even keep my test drive appointment. I wasn't wearing cordory trousers and checked shirt that day...w..anchors)
Get all your removeable extra's as the other guys have said from Nick or try and get them to throw at least the mats in for free. A set of rubber mats is an extortionate £80 odd.
Save yourself a bundle of cash.

One other thing, if you want GAP insurance, LR were going to charge me £800. I picked myself up off the floor, stopped laughing and said I'd only pay £300 max (£100 a year) and I got that too which seemed pretty cheap.
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #23402214th Dec 2007 12:11 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Some good advice there.

Although for GAP insurance, if you get insured with NFU.com, they include off-road cover as standard and GAP insurance is not needed as they do new for old in the first two years. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #23403714th Dec 2007 1:03 pm
baz

Thank you for all the replies, very quick they were too.

I phoned the dealer and low and behold he told me that Discovery 3 stock is very limited at the moment….. yeah right
But he may be able to forge me a better deal, as you have all said it seems to be
4-6K overpriced now I’ve had a look around.

I’ll call in and have a chat with them and hopefully get them down to a more sensible price.

See ya soon…

Post #23436815th Dec 2007 12:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >