DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Positive/Negative comments after 1st month of ownership
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
noreserve

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Positive/Negative comments after 1st month of ownership

Positives

• Impressed with the overall build quality. The components used seem well-made and sturdy – heavy duty. The seat fold-down mechanisms are a good example. They are logically designed with attention to detail. A lot of engineering and usability hours were expended here.
• The frame and body structure are very impressive. The accident we had in the first two weeks of ownership (see Jetta vs LR3 post) made us glad we were in a vehicle built like a tank. You have the feeling that the LR3 could withstand a rollover without ending up crushed like a typical Toyota SUV, for example. The 5,800 lbs of vehicle make you almost feel sorry in advance for anyone in that pulls out in front of you.
• Speaking of someone pulling out in front of you… the stopping ability of the Land Rover line is unbelievable. We can out-brake a number of sports sedans and even some sports cars. 165-170 ft from 70 MPH for a 5,800 lb vehicle makes you wonder what Lexus is doing wrong in the new LS460 with 207 ft.
• The driving feel is unique. I love being able to see the entire hood. The meaty steering wheel feels appropriate for the vehicle, as do the various robust knobs and controls throughout the dashboard. The over-sized, rubber knobs are very easy and satisfying to grip.
• The boxy, tall shape of the LR3 serves well for headroom and load practicality. The design is very clean and modern, purposeful and without bling fortunately. The front and front three quarter views are most impressive. Silver definitely highlights this vehicle’s best attributes. The signature rounded design of the hood is unique and very attractive.
• I think that the tan interior is a great contrast to the silver exterior. The tan leather is thick and well done. It imparts a light, airy feel to the cabin that is much more to my liking than the charcoal. Tan leather is sometimes hard to pull off tastefully (take a look at Acura), but Land Rover does it well. It’s not usually my first choice for a silver exterior, but I’m very happy with it in this application.
• The full rubber mats are very much in keeping with the vehicle’s overall mission and practical design. They are begging for some mud to go with them.
• The headroom all around is impressive, as is the legroom in the third row seating. This is one of few vehicles with a usable third row. The seating versatility in the LR3 is outstanding. I haven’t come across another vehicle with a comparable layout. The stadium seating is more than a gimmick, while the expansive glass sunroofs are unique and welcome to keep the cabin airy. The aerial view of the LR3 with all of the glass is something to behold.
• The sound of the V-8 is muscular and satisfying. It’s quiet when it needs to be, but has enough presence to remind you that it is there to serve up a generous helping of torque when required. Kind of nice in a way to have a Jaguar V-8 under the hood. How much more British can we ask for here?
• The split tailgate is optimal for loading. For dogs, it let’s you control the exit and not them. It allows you to quickly open just the top for smaller items. The tailgate’s ability to hold 650 lbs is something else to remind me of how serious Land Rover was in making this thing a workhorse.
• The Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights are outstanding. I love their swivel dance on startup. It’s also nice to see that orange turn indicators and running lights are used both front and rear versus having red ones. Definitely helps with visibility. It’s kind of interesting to see the reflection on the outside mirrors when the turn indicator is flashing. You always know they’re working and it’s more difficult to leave one on inadvertently.
• The 4x4 display is a damn useful gadget. Same goes for the air suspension. Both are gee-whiz in the driveway, but are actually useful in the rough. The cross-linked air suspension’s ability to mimic the benefit of a live axle on the trail is ingenious. Hill Descent Control is your best friend as you go down a hill that is surely too steep. The Terrain Response system is, of course, the standout feature, taking the guesswork out of many off-road situations.
• The Harman-Kardon 550-watt LOGIC 7 sound system is very nice – up there with just about any factory sound system I’ve experienced. It doesn’t compete with the Mark Levinson, but it also didn’t cost thousands extra. The speakers are also impressive looking – no mistaking their presence.
• The Bluetooth integration is very welcome and useful in keeping your hands on the wheel when placing or answering a call. Park Distance Control is another useful luxury that works well. Add to that list the chilled center console, electronic parking brake and so on that make you appreciate your time behind the wheel.
• The highway ride is excellent. You can easily do 90 MPH before you realize it. Wind noise is surprisingly low, given the boxy design.

Negatives

• The seats – ah, the seats. The design needs to be re-visited. The fixed head restraints are the first problem. It’s the forward angle. It forces you to adjust the rake angle of the seatback further back to keep it from intruding. This is especially true of the passenger seat due to its more limited adjustments compared to the driver’s seat. The next problem is the hard bottom cushion. This is one of the most firm seats I’ve sat on. And where is the lumbar support for the U.S.? Odd. I’ve been able to adjust around the problem enough to where it’s not a show-stopper, but there shouldn’t be a need to do this a top-trim Land Rover. I’m not sure why automakers feel a need to re-design things that are already proven. Just take a BMW 5 or 7-series seat out and copy the damn thing.
• Where is the indicator to show me that the headlights are on? This is a very strange omission. Setting the headlights to auto is nice, but it would help to know if they are on when it is raining and not quite dark enough to know for sure.
• The lurch. Teaches you to be very smooth on the throttle when coasting to a stop and then getting back on it. Other than that, the 6-speed is well done.
• The throttle tip-in is too aggressive. Nothing like being jerked from a stop in your new luxury SUV until you get used to it.
• Rain-sensing wipers could use a lower setting, as they are a bit too sensitive.
• The seatbelt attachment points in the middle row make for a very trying experience when using a child booster seat. They end up being too close to the booster seat and don’t flex much at all to accommodate the tang.
• Fold-in power outside mirrors would be welcome in the U.S.
• The navigation system doesn’t let you enter a destination once on the move. Of course, our legal system in the U.S. is probably to blame.
• An armrest in the middle row would be nice. Folding down the middle seat is a poor substitute. A fuzzy “table” does not make a proper armrest. Speaking of armrests… where is the padding on the door armrests?
• The tachometer has no redline indicator. Did someone forget what the basic function of this thing is?
• What's up with the tow hitch receiver? What a strange design. Why on earth would you design something that hangs so low on a vehicle where ground clearance is so important? Just do it like the Range Rover and have it included.

Post #12401725th Jan 2007 10:09 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Very nice review noreserve. Thumbs Up
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #12402525th Jan 2007 10:42 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

noreserve..the key question is - Do You Like It ...or ...Do You Not???
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #12402725th Jan 2007 10:47 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Great review there...all things have there plus's and minus's....even D3's Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12403125th Jan 2007 10:56 pm
noreserve

ronp wrote:
noreserve..the key question is - Do You Like It ...or ...Do You Not???

No doubt about it - I love the vehicle!

Post #12403825th Jan 2007 11:10 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

8)
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #12404025th Jan 2007 11:11 pm
mrmarklin

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

In general I agree with your review. The seats fit me better, and in fact, I would rate them a positive. This is obviously an individual thing.

As far as throttle take up, or lash, I have not yet experienced it, even off road. But maybe it's my driving style.

The trailer (caravan) towing ability is excelllent. I had my doubts about towing without a weight distributing hitch, but the air suspension overcame all doubts. Held to the road a lot better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, and was wonderfully smooth. I would agree that the towbar setup is a little awkward for a US trailer system. Very Happy

One thing that's a curious omission is any protection of the door sills. I should look for an aftermarket fix for this, but don't see why it should be necessary. Also, the controls on the mirror do not appear to be backlit, making them almost useless at night when opening a garage. Razz
 '06 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Heavy Duty package, Satellite Radio, Luxury Package  
Post #12429226th Jan 2007 6:58 pm
noreserve

mrmarklin wrote:
... Also, the controls on the mirror do not appear to be backlit, making them almost useless at night when opening a garage. Razz

Good point. I agree - those buttons have almost no differentiation, even in the daylight. I prefer the three Homelink buttons on the visor instead. I have these on another vehicle and they stick up prominently.

Post #12435326th Jan 2007 9:50 pm
Mark D

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I, too, have had my LR3 for one month. Some of your complaints (lack of lumbar, headlight indicator) have been addressed on the 2007 model.

Here are some random thoughts:

-I actually preferred the way a 2006 model I was loaned (prior to owning this 2007 vehicle) drove on the highway. I can't quite explain it, but the 2006 model felt more stable.

-I waited on the 2007 model as I wanted adjustable lumbar support. I'm glad that I did as I find the driver's seat more comfortable than the 2006 model.

-I've always liked the "command view" that Land Rovers afford, but I wish the Discovery (all three series of the Discovery) were more like the Range Rover in terms of a lower dash and window sill.

-I haven't been able to enjoy Logic 7 stereo as much as I'd like as I have a very annoying speaker rattle in the passenger front door. This appears to be a fairly common problem. At times, I can't tell if there isn't another rattle from another speaker or if it's just the passenger speaker's rattle seemingly coming from elsewhere. Very annoying.

-Sound quality of the Satellite Radio is worse than I would have guessed.

-Love the Bluetooth phone thing, but it doesn't always pick up the phone when I tell it to.

-Trailer hitch is needlessly over-engineered.

-Feels very solid (unlike other Land Rovers that I've owned). I have some dash creaks that seem to have more to do with expansion and contraction on cold days rather than riding over bumps.

Mark
 2008 LR3 HSE with heavy duty package and satellite radio.  
Post #12442727th Jan 2007 8:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrmarklin

Mark D

It sounds like you should take your car back to have a look at the sound system. The speaker rattle may be related to an overall problem, as my satellite radio works perfectly through the sound system. In other words, it seems to have the same sound quality as the rest of the system ie CD, regular Radio, Ipod etc. 8)
Post #12448527th Jan 2007 5:47 pm
Mark D

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Marklin,

My Sat radio sounds decent (better than the radio), but is not of the same quality as my CD player. You're saying that this isn't normal?

As an aside, do you find the creaks in the dash when starting on a cold morning (i.e. I don't really hear creaks when going over bumps)?

Mark
 2008 LR3 HSE with heavy duty package and satellite radio.  
Post #12449827th Jan 2007 6:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrmarklin

Mark D wrote:
Marklin,

My Sat radio sounds decent (better than the radio), but is not of the same quality as my CD player. You're saying that this isn't normal?

Yes, I guess I am saying that it's not normal. It would seem that they should all sound the same. At least I can't tell the difference. I also plugged my Ipod in the Aux mode, and it sounded very well, too. Maybe bass, treble etc is handled differently with each mode, but I sure don't see why it would be.

Mark D wrote:
As an aside, do you find the creaks in the dash when starting on a cold morning (i.e. I don't really hear creaks when going over bumps)?

No, I don't, and I was out hunting a couple of weeks ago off road in temperatures in the teens. Maybe it will settle in. Very Happy

Mark
Post #12452227th Jan 2007 10:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >