DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Portable fridge set-up?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Disco Driver

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Portable fridge set-up?

Howdy folks

Just wondering what set-ups D3 owners have gone with portable fridges, Engel or Waeco? Slide mount systems? Size? Fridge/Freezer?

Cheers

DD

Post #6993453rd Oct 2010 12:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi DD,
This is very much a personal choice & dependent on requirements.

I have a 39L Engel fridge, which I bought years ago (before combination fridge/freezers). I now use it with a Black Widow slide in my D3.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #6993503rd Oct 2010 3:04 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Lots of choices, I have an engel 30, I have removed the 1/3 split seat on the right side ( 5 seater) and used and engel fixed mounting plate bolted to the seat mounts. Easy access.
 TDV6  
Post #6993533rd Oct 2010 7:16 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I run a 39l Engel as the main frig. On a slide for long trips. Also have a 25litre Waeco for the long trips and it is run purely as a freezer. Prefer my engel, would like to trade the Waeco for a small engel.
You must have a dual battery sytem and a Traxide controller.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #6994393rd Oct 2010 2:53 pm
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My Waeco keept blowing the fuse on the Disco but since getting the dual battery and with two additional outlets in the rear it works a treat. I use a fridge slide which makes getting things in and out so much easier.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #6995794th Oct 2010 1:55 am
evan

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I have a Waeco 40 litre fridge/freezer. It sits loosely in the back. I have a few options for power. I have 2 power points from the car battery mounted in the back on the LHS - one is the standard cigarette lighter type; the other is an Anderson plug. This was wired so that it only gets power when the car is running, hence no flat battery!
The other option I have is a second battery in a battery box. On the outside of the box are 2 plugs - one for power back to the plug mounted in the car and another plug for running the fridge or boat winch. I then made up different power cables so I can always match the appliance.

Regards

Post #6995904th Oct 2010 7:25 am
RSAChris

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

evan wrote:
I have a Waeco 40 litre fridge/freezer. It sits loosely in the back. I have a few options for power. I have 2 power points from the car battery mounted in the back on the LHS - one is the standard cigarette lighter type; the other is an Anderson plug. This was wired so that it only gets power when the car is running, hence no flat battery!
The other option I have is a second battery in a battery box. On the outside of the box are 2 plugs - one for power back to the plug mounted in the car and another plug for running the fridge or boat winch. I then made up different power cables so I can always match the appliance.

Regards

This is pretty much my setup as well - 2 x 40Litre Engel fridges in the back [one set as freezer]. From the main line off the primary battery in the engine via a Cole Hersey relay and 50 Amp fuse it terminnates in the boot and at the tow bar with Brad Harrison/Anderson plugs.

I have 2 x Delco 102A/h batteries in the boot box with plugs for the fridges. The box is also fused with 50A.
I also tow an Xplorer off-road caravan with it's own 2 x batteries - this was usually plugged in at the tow bar's Brad Harrison plug - Same setup on my 2 previous defenders.

On our last trip the fuse in the box blew after some time when the Caravan was plugged in as well. Since then I just kept the Solar pannels on the caravan roof plugged in - no further issues with fuses in the box.

Cheers
CS
 Proud owner of an IIDTool
2010 Disco 4 TDV6 SE
R2D3 the 2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE... gone now
Romulus [Defender 110 CSW Td5] will always be missed
Rofty [Defender 110 CSW Td5] first Td5 and start of motor electronics...
www.flickr.com/photos/the_steyns 

Post #6996064th Oct 2010 9:00 am
Preacher

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

This is pretty much my setup as well - 2 x 40Litre Engel fridges in the back [one set as freezer]. From the main line off the primary battery in the engine via a Cole Hersey relay and 50 Amp fuse it terminnates in the boot and at the tow bar with Brad Harrison/Anderson plugs.

I have 2 x Delco 102A/h batteries in the boot box with plugs for the fridges. The box is also fused with 50A.
I also tow an Xplorer off-road caravan with it's own 2 x batteries - this was usually plugged in at the tow bar's Brad Harrison plug - Same setup on my 2 previous defenders.

On our last trip the fuse in the box blew after some time when the Caravan was plugged in as well. Since then I just kept the Solar pannels on the caravan roof plugged in - no further issues with fuses in the box.

Disco Driver

I also have 2 batteries in the van and 2 extra yellow top under the bonnet to run a 40 lt Engel for a freezer and a bit bigger "Bushman" with extended tops for my fridge.
For my recommendation - go the "Bushman" bigger size, far less cost, extra height modules included and a great co to deal with. Way up there in the magazine tests.

dj
The engel is fatter than the 'Bushranger' (which is longer)

Post #70219711th Oct 2010 11:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Preacher

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

woops - pushed the button twice

sorry

Post #70219811th Oct 2010 11:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >