Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Very poor MPG - Going back to LR after fuel pump mod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
Very poor MPG - Going back to LR after fuel pump mod

I know this has been discussed at length, but after logging fuel consumption for a few months after the recall, and having allowed for warmer weather (so no effect of FBH) I am now certain that I've lost 4-5 MPG after the fuel pump mod. (Like a sad git I keep the fuel consumption figures, mostly to calculate mileage for the tax man).

Anyway, my TDV6 is returning 23.3 on motorway runs at a steady 70mph (standard car, largely empty, no external bits to drag, tyre pressures correct, etc). It used to return about 27-28 or slightly better. I tend to drive the same roads, so am pretty sure I have a problem here.

I wondered if anyone has approached LR with this given the number of people who seem to think they have a similar issue? I am going to ask them to take a look and see what they think.
 PAGODA  
Post #6330777th Apr 2010 8:08 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I found that mine was more responsive, and marginally better on fuel consumption following the FP recall.
Yes, i confess, I'm another sad git that has a record of every litre of fuel thats gone in it for all 72k miles Embarassed
(27.7mpg by the way)

So it sounds like you have an issue somewhere.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #6330787th Apr 2010 8:14 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

pagoda remember other things may give you that sort of low mpg, and it may be a coincidence after the fuel pump work. I had same 24 months ago, changed air filter and immediate rise in mpg. LR deem the air filter only needs changed every 45k miles, Rolling Eyes I change mine every 15k.

2nd time mpg took a dive it was a partly seized on brake caliper (have had 3 out of 4 do same). After a 70mph run just carefully test the temp of the wheels with the back of your hand, if one is more than luke warm you prob have a seized on caliper (or binding EPB) if rear wheel. Worth checking. Thumbs Up

Post #6330807th Apr 2010 8:20 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Dave/DSL,

Thanks. I haven't checked the calipers/EPB - good point. The reason, though, that I'm slightly suspicious is that the change in MPG occurred at the same time as the recall was completed. I realise this could be coincidence, but I'm betting something else has gone pear shaped.

I'll check the brakes and the filter also.

It's really Censored ing me off - especially since Gordo the Magnificent and his Band of Merry Men have added 6p per liter to fuel since Jan.

Roll on the Revolution....
 PAGODA  
Post #6331647th Apr 2010 10:13 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Poor fuel consuption on mine was caused by leaking thrttle body seals. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6332128th Apr 2010 12:26 am
StephenM

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I just clocked 42.2mpg all the way back from Scarborough to Wokingham Smile
Steady 50 - 70 mph helped along, no doubt, by the incessant roadworks and traffic jams on the A1 & M1.
 Stephen
-------- 

Post #6333058th Apr 2010 10:34 am
Blobby

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

StephenM wrote:
I just clocked 42.2mpg all the way back from Scarborough to Wokingham Smile
Thud Is that all downhill with a tail wind or were you being towed? My best ever was 27.83 mpg. Average 23.57mpg.  
Post #6334478th Apr 2010 5:20 pm
al cope

England 

I've just done birmingham to camberly (m40,m25,m3) and back, kept the revs at 2k or just above (running at around 75 apart from through roadworks at 50mph). Trip comp showing 33mpg, will go and fill back up in a while as actual is usually 4mpg less than trip comp.

Just filled back to brim, actual was 28.8mpg

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #6334538th Apr 2010 5:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >