Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Poor Manual gearchange
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bct20

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Poor Manual gearchange

I'm still experiencing an intermittent gearchange problem on my 06 TDV6 S. The gearchange from 1st to 2nd can sometimes be very stiff/notchy, almost feeling like the clutch is not dissengaging fully or there is wear in the synchro unit. This problem manifested itself within a week of buying the car.
The car was immediately returned to the supplying dealers, who were initially more than helpful, firstly changing the gearbox oil, then the complete clutch and dmf(so they claim) and finally bleeding air from the clutch system.
However the problem still persisted and reassured by the the service managers words of " any problems, give me a shout" I tried to contact him. Eventually I spoke to the Salesman who sold me the car and told him how fed up I was, he said he would speak to the dealer principal and get him to ring me.
When the principal rang me he told me they would not look at the fault again until it had developed, or I got a second opinion from another dealer. They basically claimed there is nothing wrong with mine as "all Discovery 3 manual gearboxes are like that".
As a fitter/mechanic with over 20 years experience I cannot accept that the problem I am experiencing is merely a characteristic of this gearbox. I would be grateful to hear if anyone else has had similar problems and what was done to resolve them. It would be great to hear from any Manual Disco 3 owners in South Cumbria, possibly with a view to meeting up and comparing gearchanges.

Post #87611528th Dec 2011 8:46 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Interesting. I had a new clutch and DMF fitted by a main dealer last week. Mine is now notchy from 1st to 2nd and i also get clutch judder pulling out of junctions on a hill. Also pick up on the pedal is much higher.

None of these things have happened in the last 107k since i owned the car. The gear change used to be super smooth and very precise.

It will be going in next week for them to look at again.

Post #87611728th Dec 2011 8:53 pm
Darryl

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

BCT i thought it was just me Shocked mine has the same feeling from 2nd to 3rd ive moaned about it sine i got the car a couple of years ago seems very notchy and not like a car with 50000 miles should feel like Rolling Eyes pity your not near me to try ,P.S how many miles has urs done Question

Post #87612428th Dec 2011 9:14 pm
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

my recently purchased 2006 manual is notchy between 1st and 2nd. its worse if i force it, but after a few weeks of driving find that if i "gently flick"it into gear its a lot smoother. Not ideal but very similar to my td5 disco 03 plate i had.

I have however fitted a tuning box giving it some more umph when i first bought the car and this eliminated the notchiness!
Today i took the tuning chip box off and had it properly ecu tuned. Still no notchiness. I believe this is probably down to a smoother engine beat or poss a few extra rpms at idle/gear change speed.

May well not make any difference to your car but just my offering from own experiences.

Ps my car has done 52k, and had a new clutch and flywheel at 39k at main dealers
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #87613328th Dec 2011 9:36 pm
Hollywood

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My 2006 D3 is a little notchy too from 1st to 2nd.

I was told it was just the way the gearbox is Confused

Post #87613428th Dec 2011 9:40 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Yep
Same here too, mine's notchy from 1st into 2nd
It's really the only niggle I have with mine and find it happens more when I try and drive it consetavivly if I give it more throttle it helps the throw of the lever seems to mesh the cogs that bit better !

Being cold or hot doesent seem to affect it, it can do it after 2 hour motorway journey where you sometimes join stop start traffic on an A road !

It doesent bother me too much now I've got used to it over the past 2 years, I sometimes double the clutch which eliminates it completely !
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #87614628th Dec 2011 10:10 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'd suggest getting your dealer to check the condition of the gear stick ball socket

Click image to enlarge
 The End  
Post #87615428th Dec 2011 10:34 pm
bct20

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks, nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. My Disco's just turned 40k, with a full main dealer history and 1 owner.
I've also found that if I'm pulling out quickly at a junction the change is better. I'll be having another try with the dealers in the new year as the front diff oil seal appears to be leaking, hopefully it'l be covered under warranty.
I'd still like to hear from any Disco 3 Members with manual boxes in my area(South Cumbria), for a comparison. Other than this problem the car is faultless, and a great improvement over my old TD5(gearchange excepted).

Post #87616028th Dec 2011 10:59 pm
Darryl

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Slimer (re your post) did you have any trouble with yours? and did this make any difference ??

Post #87616228th Dec 2011 11:03 pm
cja1579

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have had my disco two years now and it is also notchy from 1st into 2nd and even 2nd to 3rd,

I find it worse when its cold but beening a wagon driver I just double the clutch,

My disco had just had a new clutch in it when I got it, I have also changed the oil myself last year witch did make it a little better but not by much,
 JE Remap, De-cat, Blanked EGR's, Allisport intercooler, Samco intercooler hoses, D4 rear lights, A bar, Big spot lights, Front headlight guards, 20'' Stormer wheels,  
Post #87616428th Dec 2011 11:18 pm
mordueman

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have a manual 2006 S with 42,000 on the clock and the gear change is smooth as silk, so they are not all bad Wink
 Helping ugly people have sex since 1995 !  
Post #87660330th Dec 2011 12:11 pm
Windy Corner

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Mines a 55 plate S with 60k, wouldn't say it was smooth, but not overly notchy either.

I do find that if you rush the change it is worse, so I take my time and it slots in soon enough

Rik
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 Baltic Blue
Discovery 3 S TDV6 Zambezi Silver - Now gone........
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response 

Post #87666330th Dec 2011 2:22 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I find that if you wait until the N shows on the gear indicator on the dash before moving to the next gear, its very smooth. If not, it can be slightly notchy.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #87666430th Dec 2011 2:23 pm
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Agree with two posts above, if you change too quickly and race it, its worse. Only just changed to a D3 from a bmw 650 smg so i am learning to drive a manual again! If this is to be my only complaint, i will be well suited.
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #87672730th Dec 2011 4:53 pm
matthewjamesbates

United Kingdom 

I have a 2007 manual with 86k on clock, only had it a fortnight. My gearchange is fairly heavy but fine if you dont force it - I reckon its a big car with a heavy duty gearbox so its normal - was never going to be like flicking an mx-5 around!

Post #8779172nd Jan 2012 8:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >