Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

please dont flame me for my ignorance FBH question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
amneme1

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeLR4
please dont flame me for my ignorance FBH question

what is a FBH and could I retrofit to a stateside petrol? It sounds as if only avail on diesel vehicles. We have car fob starters here to start the car from a distance to warm the cabin, but this sounds like something to look into for my vehicle since I cannot install a starter. Thanks in advance.

Post #212337224th Feb 2020 1:13 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Webasto heaters in automotive applications are generally Diesel fired. That said I think the Webasto Thermo Top C is both Diesel or petrol fired but I'm not sure of its suitability in a LR. Even so, personally I would not be comfortable with a petroleum spirit fired heater combined with forced air induction in a vehicle parked outside my family home! Shocked

The Webasto Thermo Top V is Diesel fired and fitted to D3/4 Diesel's in cold climate conditions for vehicles sold in this part of the northern hemisphere. Diesel's are more efficient than petrol, and therefore less heat is lost into the water jacket during warm up, hence the need to assist the heating system until the optimum heat range is reached. I do not think the loom in your vehicle exists to allow you a direct fit for the Webasto TT V, and if it did you would need to fit the fuel pump and diesel tank also.

You might be able to fit an aftermarket Diesel fired system similar to that found in marine applications, but you would obviously need a small auxiliary diesel fuel tank to power it.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #212337424th Feb 2020 2:12 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Euhhhhmmmmm sorry professor slightly different story.. Wink

(General story)
Do not confuse auxiliary heaters with parkingheaters, although both Fuel burning heaters (FBH) and sometimes use the same burner.. they (can) differ in software and (mostly) ancellary’s (waterpump, driving the fans, etc..)

They used to be sold more as parkingheaters in petrol fuel / gasoline version than diesel... in the past..
Only when the diesels started to become so efficient that motors/cars needed extra heating, they did become common practice in diesels as auxiliary heater... hence there are more diesel units aurond.. BUT most of them are car brand and model specific, do not work in other motors/cars..

I think in the general use parking heater models market the petrol/gasoline vs diesel rate is still 50/50

Both Webasto and eberspacher have petrol fuel / gasoline burning heaters available...

The modern Webasto thermo top V/evo/vevo is also available in a petrol / gasoline version..

Not more dangerous than diesel... sold hundreds of them, used them in our own motors/cars, never a problem... they also do not cloak like diesels Very Happy

For USA Webasto info:

https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-us/heat...t-heaters/

They can be added in a petrol/gasoline Land Rover... there is a webasto kit for retrofitting a parkingheater for petrol/gasoline...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #212338624th Feb 2020 8:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >