Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Planning Committees : Are they worth it.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Planning Committees : Are they worth it.

I’ve just got back from a planning meeting which I lost. I objected to 3 houses being built 5 mtrs from my house which will be 40ft in height so way above mine and 22ft beyond our front and 16 ft beyond our rear. So in effect a 40ft wall across our property. None of the 12 planning committee members had looked at the detailed plans on the Council web site and they took no notice of any of the points raised by 9 objectors.
Never been to a planning committee before but if they are like this up and down the country they are a farce. The 3 applicants spoke about how wonderful it would be for their families which had no planning points at all but that seemed to carry the vote. What is the point of planning committees when objectors are raising flooding, overbearing, overlooking etc?

Post #208487517th Sep 2019 10:27 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

If the Local Authority isn't meeting its housing supply figures, then there's no point refusing housing applications - they'll lose the appeal and so waste money. Govt policy to blame, I'm afraid.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #208487717th Sep 2019 10:37 pm
terryall

Yes, I agree and understand that. I just thought that some if the Councilors were so unprofessional at the meeting. One very large female councilor actually sat through the whole preceding eating a huge slice of cream topped cake with a mug of coffee beside her. I was not surprised to her that the council, Canterbury, are under official scrutiny as they passed so many dubious planning applications. I just witnessed another one!

Post #209563528th Oct 2019 7:58 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

There’s a new build PP for a two story house not far from me. It will be less than 6m from a single story old cottage. The builder has already put up a solid fence, which blocks any view from the rear.

The owner/occupier of the cottage didn’t object, but his neighbour did. The PP still got the go ahead.

Post #209563728th Oct 2019 8:08 am
drmcw

United Kingdom 

Same here. Agree with RRSTDV8 the housing policy is to blame; rather than planning new towns to cater for the so called housing shortage, they are forcing local authorities to squeeze as many houses as they can in totally inappropriate places. Can see it all around the country. Where I grew up there were school playing fields behind my parents house. Its a housing estate now.

Post #209565928th Oct 2019 9:31 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Sadly the demand for new housing is driven to a great extent by immigration.

Until we control immigration demand will continue to rise, and each couple we admit are likely to breed....

The problem is that politicians are very disinclined to express what might be thought to be "Non-PC" views.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #209566328th Oct 2019 10:07 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry Nigel but I'm calling you out on that. Where is your evidence?

I'm a former councillor that sat on planning committees (I did read the applications but do recognise some of the OPs observations). Immigration was not a concern or an issue raised as part of developing planning policy.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #209568228th Oct 2019 11:17 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

There have been suggestions that one cause for housing demand is the increase in the number of single occupiers - more single people are living alone these days. There were 8 million single person households in 2018 - that's 29% of all households.

There are over 600,000 vacant dwellings in the UK - no doubt a number of these are "second homes" used for holidays / occasional weekends. I know people who have "holiday homes" that are actually just pension investments, in effect. These drive up overall demand, of course.

Overall, there are about 24 million dwellings for 66 million people. As many of these people will be in family groups, there ought to be enough housing for them all. If all were in the right places, of course, and all were available and affordable.

The reasons for why there is a housing shortfall are many and varied and simple sound bite "it's because of X" isn't helpful.

Edit:removed stuff that might be considered overly argumentative. Don't want another thread closed / moved by becoming too political. Embarassed
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #209571828th Oct 2019 1:02 pm
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

As well as older folk living longer as point above, there is also a growing number of youngsters who wish to live alone (without old f4*t parents reviewing lifestyle) and immigration may also be a factor but the evidence is so thin on any one cause for an unmet demand. As is usual there are many contributing factors but I can understand the “stop immigration” argument as it chimes with so many that see the quart and pint pot!

The OP may not be aware that there is set criteria upon which to object / refuse a planning application. “Spoiling my view ....” is not material but overlooking maybe and of course there is the predisposition to approve. Many developers regularly attend planning meetings to record notable comments from councillors and other attendees. Councillors falling asleep is common as is relevance of side conservations which often support evidence at appeal.
 D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #209575628th Oct 2019 6:13 pm
Pelyma

England 

Surely youngsters live in flats or HMO which must be a more effective use of space?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #209576728th Oct 2019 6:48 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

apparently more people want large 3 and 4 beds for 1 and 2 people
 Mike  
Post #209579328th Oct 2019 8:07 pm
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

^^^ about right by my offspring, apparently additional bedrooms for visitors!
 D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #209579428th Oct 2019 8:11 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Pelyma wrote:
Surely youngsters live in flats or HMO which must be a more effective use of space?

Interestingly, older single men is the major group in single occupier accommodation.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #209580228th Oct 2019 9:08 pm
terryall

Interesting replies chaps and valid points. At the planning meeting I attended I was appalled by the lack of preparation by councillors in what are possibly decisions that alter peoples lives forever assuming they stay at their property. I had neighbours who is an architect and his objections were totally ignored although valid. The committee seemed to rely on the opinion of one well informed councillor who said he had visited the offices to look at the drawings and was appalled by the lack of supporting drawing etc.
He said that in future the council must make sure that adequate documentation is supplied to make a decision and then proceeded to recommend the application which, of course, all the other 12 or so members agreed with. It was then that it was admitted that no there councillors had looked at any drawing etc on the application and that was a surprise. I subsequently discovered that councillors are not required to look at drawings and make their decision based on what's said by whom on the night. That seems very amateur to me. One application prior to our's was concerning a tennis court, part of a large sports complex, that was to be covered like a dome but with huge lighting and all this was at the end of peoples gardens. The lighting went on till 10.30 or more each night so their properties were blighted by this intrusion or so I thought.....but what do I know....

Post #209581028th Oct 2019 9:24 pm
Grianaig

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I expect the members were only there to get paid their attendance money. No interest in anything else.
 2014 MY Discovery XS Indus Silver. Sadly gone. Second last LR of forty eight years continuous ownership.  
Post #209584028th Oct 2019 10:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >