Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Petrol V8; How do you keep your license clean?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Petrol V8; How do you keep your license clean?

My TDV6 went in for some warranty work today, and I got a V8 as a loaner. Good grief, what an amazing engine! I almost thought I was back in my Volvo T5, but with not quite such tight handling Wink

Not being used to the initial surge when you first touch the throttle, I accidentally embarrassed some guy in a TT at some lights, who thought he had time to squeeze in an overtake before his lane ran out; sorry! You were wrong!

OK, so you could see the fuel guage dropping, but that is a car that needs to be driven; so owners of V8s here, how do you keep your cool and avoid the ever increasing speed taxation? And if that's what the normal engine map drives like, has anybody ever seen the need to chip it?

Just for the record, I'm not interested in trading up (though a lottery win might now change my mind, I don't think I could otherwise afford it), but I'd be fascinated to hear what you V8 drivers do to protect your licences.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #1553088th May 2007 10:16 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Think diplomatic plates would help - or two licences Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #1553118th May 2007 10:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

I understand! So can you bid on eBay for someone to take your points for you? Rolling with laughter
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #1553208th May 2007 10:29 pm
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Simple answer... my license isn't clean!

Seriously, I got a "Speed Exceeding 100" ticket on the 5 about a year and a half ago, and then a ticket for 80 in a 65 about 9 months ago.

So now I really have to be careful!

Post #1553278th May 2007 10:42 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I feel a need to go check out your dealer next time my ARB stirrups need replacing Thumbs Up

Post #1553318th May 2007 10:52 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Re: Petrol V8; How do you keep your license clean?

stapldm wrote:
I almost thought I was back in my Volvo T5, but with not quite such tight handling Wink

Very Happy Mr. Green Very Happy 8)

What's the 0-60 time for the V8? Something like 8 sceonds isn't it? I've got to say - that's pretty frightening for 3 tonnes of the worlds most capable 4x4 Thumbs Up

Not as frightening as the fuel consumption though Whistle Whistle
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #1553458th May 2007 11:17 pm
stapldm

simon wrote:
I feel a need to go check out your dealer next time my ARB stirrups need replacing Thumbs Up

They've been very good to me on the whole; felt a little flat today after booking the car in for the mirror memory TSB, gave them over a weeks notice yet today they said that they'd have to order a part (drivers seat module) which had no ETA.
I guess they have to check that there's not another problem instead, especially when the customer walks in with the right TSB details, but it's still frustrating. V8 made up for it tho Thumbs Up

CY wrote:
I've got to say - that's pretty frightening for 3 tonnes of the worlds most capable 4x4 Thumbs Up

I would have been less happy if I didn't know I could stop quickly too! It rained here a couple of weeks ago after the long dry spell, and I tried out the EPB emergency stop on the resulting greasy surface (well, I didn't want to scrub the tyres on my own car Wink ). If you've not tried this yourself, get yourself some of these first Shocked and make sure there's nothing behind or in front of you at the time (I don't think Priuii count Very Happy )
I just tried from 25MPH in an empty car park with no obstacles; now I'd feel confident of using it in real emergency.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #1553588th May 2007 11:43 pm
simon

On a serious note...

Don't rely on using the emergency EPB routine unless it really is your last resort.

The delay in its activation would probably lead to you hitting what your trying to avoid by stopping in the first place.

Always best to stamp on the brake pedal like its your worst nightmare insect under your foot... and then keep pushing HARD.

The emergency EPB is pretty mind blowing when used but just watch how many feet of road pass under your wheels before it kicks in Shocked

Boring note over Thumbs Up

Post #1553618th May 2007 11:51 pm
stapldm

Simon, there's nothing boring about avoiding a collision! Good point well made, thanks. If I used it I'd be stamping on brakes AND holding up EPB lever to gain every inch I could.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #1553628th May 2007 11:54 pm
simon

Thumbs Up

mmm not tried the EPB and brakes - wonder if it really does assist ?

Time to experiment I think Wink

Post #1553648th May 2007 11:55 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

05MY Handbook wrote:
Dynamic operation
In an emergency, the parkbrake can be applied ’dynamically’, i.e. with the vehicle travelling at more than 3 km/h 2 mph). Pulling up on the lever and holding it up gives a gradual reduction in speed. The brake warning indicator will illuminate accompanied by a harsh sound and ’Caution! Parkbrake applied’ appears on the message screen. The top lamps will illuminate. Releasing or depressing the lever will cancel the parkbrake application. The parkbrake should not be used regularly to decelerate the vehicle or to bring it to a standstill; this facility is intended for emergency use only.

Basically it'll apply the brakes and stop you damn quick Very Happy
Find a nice clear straight road and try it Wink
 The End  
Post #1553699th May 2007 12:12 am
simon

Slimer wrote:
holding it up gives a gradual reduction in speed.

This is the bit that implies to me 'not as quick as if you'd stamped on the foot brake'

I guess dynamically would mean it can be used in conjunction with the insect killing routine Thumbs Up

Post #1553719th May 2007 12:15 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Try it and be surprised, AFAIK know what it really does is apply the normal brakes (pads/disks) not the parkbrake (shoes/drum). Should also add..
05MY Handbook also wrote:
Caution: Driving the vehicle with the parkbrake applied (other than in the emergency situation described above) or repeated use of the parkbrake to decelerate the vehicle may cause serious damage to the brake system.
So give it a try so you know just how good it is but not too often The End  
Post #1553729th May 2007 12:18 am
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Petrol V8; How do you keep your license clean?

stapldm wrote:
... but I'd be fascinated to hear what you V8 drivers do to protect your licences.

1 - I don't speed in a 30mph zone - seems to be where all the mobile cameras and hand-held traps set-up and without preaching, 30 mph zones also tend to be poor roads for racing (schools, shops, built-up etc).

2 - A Road Angel

3 - Outpace the Police TDV6's when in pursuit (OK so this one I made up). Laughing
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #1553929th May 2007 6:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

This thread worries me a little. What affect does applying the EPB and the footbrake together have with regard to the anti lock braking mechanism?

I strongly suspect the EPB will over ride the anti lock brakes making the car less efficient at stopping in an emergency and more prone to going into a skid. Exclamation

Someone needs to test this theory on a skid pan or more scientifically at least.
 Life is what you make it.  
Post #1554169th May 2007 8:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >