Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Part time ‘retirement job’
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

You’re correct. Had to read up on it. Makes more sense now but I’d imagine ‘typical’ van driver would likely pick a traditional diesel power unit?

The mpg I got was on a ‘good run’, not thrashed (but was brand spanking new too) Started in full EV and then, as far as I know, engine running 100% there on apart from some short distance on take off from stand still. Didn’t know/play with the EV modes so was just in ‘auto’ mode of whatever it defaults too. Will play around a bit when I next get one.

Post #22451934th Aug 2021 9:08 pm
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Im on a transit forum and a lot of the guys don't get it. They think a 1.0l in a transit is pointless and they moan its only got 27 mile range. Id say that having the 1.0l "range extender" is probably the best way as the electric should be a good power plant with good torque and I would even consider one if I was to change my current custom as I work locally and could stick it on charge when I get to site (potentially at the customers expense!! Laughing ) However the combined mpg you achieved is poor for those longer journeys and combined with its high price tag I think it still needs more work.
Good real life test though Thumbs Up
 Today is the oldest you've been and the youngest you'll ever be again.  
Post #22451994th Aug 2021 9:35 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

astonbuilder wrote:
Hardware wrote:
astonbuilder wrote:
some of the 'lane assist' functions are almost dangerous in their own right I'm finding on various cars.

Do I recall correctly that you also found problems with this or adaptive cruise when between the concrete "central reservations" on an M6 trip ?

Yes, correct. When the major M6 works going on they had one lane ‘on wrong carriageway’ with solid concrete ‘fencing’ either side. Spoke with engineers and they said this wall either side for long distances can fool the radars so radar cruise defaults to ‘off’ after a couple of miles. Cleared itself as joined all carriageways. I always switch lane control off, don’t find it useful at all TBH.

My Defender has done this a few times. Usually with a “Take Control” alert and lots of chimes and bongs. Certainly gets your attention. I’m used to it now and ready for it. I don’t think this is a fault as such, just beyond the capabilities of the system.

Post #22452195th Aug 2021 7:14 am
astonbuilder

mine always stated a sensor was blocked (or something like that) for the period system was off/in the 'walled' lane

Post #22452305th Aug 2021 8:52 am
astonbuilder

More Rangers delivered......

Understand a bit more now that the 3.2 litre engine is the 'old' unit and has been discontinued for some time so I was driving old stock/pre-reg' vehicles.

I started to prefer driving the 2.0 litre diesels, they seemed to go better than the 3.2 lump (200bhp or so?).

Had to read up on it and now the engines fitted are all 2.0d but in 140, 170 and 210bhp variants (or thereabouts in rounded numbers) and I'd say even the base 140bhp (only fitted to boggo spec manual variant) one drives nicer than the 3.2 Shocked

The auto box you can option on the upper power units is ten speed - does any car need 8-9-10 gears? Can't imagine it is so good if you decided to use the flappy paddles, always be going up and down I'd think? I just leave them in auto mode and have to say they are really quite good to drive

Post #22452325th Aug 2021 9:01 am
IanMarsh

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Should think the 10 gears would come into their own when towing...
As I understand it when the vehicle is not laden the gear box actually skips out a few of the gears.

Post #22452415th Aug 2021 9:57 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

astonbuilder wrote:
does any car need 8-9-10 gears? Can't imagine it is so good if you decided to use the flappy paddles, always be going up and down I'd think? I just leave them in auto mode and have to say they are really quite good to drive

Pretty much this. I have a 9 speed with paddles on the Merc. If you're not on the ragged limit it constantly nags for an upshift on the dash - the moment you ease the throttle (even when in Sport+ mode with the driving aids dialed back). There's no appreciable engine braking unless dropping 3 gears and that leaves you changing back up the moment you exit the bend as you're at the upper end of the power curve for that gear.

Paddles made sense in a 5 or 6 speed box, but as you say, with 9 and 10 gears available, just let the drive modes decide.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #22452495th Aug 2021 10:54 am
astonbuilder

IanMarsh wrote:
Should think the 10 gears would come into their own when towing...
As I understand it when the vehicle is not laden the gear box actually skips out a few of the gears.

Really struggle to think of a scenario with a ten speed 'box where, say, 5th is too low and 7th too high.... Confused

Post #22452895th Aug 2021 4:22 pm
Journeyman

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Really enjoying your posts.

Totally agree about some of the lane assist function in some vehicles. Whilst in Ireland a while back, we had a big Peugeot hire car and it was scary. Some of the main roads in Ireland have a hard shoulder you pull over to to let faster cars pass and the Peugeot was just trying to forcibly take control the whole time and was over sensitive. In the end I had to pull over and found out how to turn the thing off.
 Cheers,

Jez

Discovery 3 HSE Stornaway Grey
MY 2008 2.7 TDV6

Discovery 2 2003 - gone 

Post #22453225th Aug 2021 7:01 pm
astonbuilder

wait until you can't even turn the tech off.........

Post #22453946th Aug 2021 10:04 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I had exactly the same on a new loan Discovery Sport the other day… went for an overtake on an A Road the other day and the steering wheel started fighting me … downright dangerous…
Was not even aware it had lane assist which made matters worse….

Why would anyone need it? Maybe it’s time to hang up your driving gloves if you consider it a valuable option?

Post #22454006th Aug 2021 10:38 am
astonbuilder

So this week mostly Rangers and Transit's going outbound for deliveries, the depot seems to have had a huge influx of these in last week or so, guess maybe not affected by the 'chip shortages'?

Homeward bound if not on the train I've mostly had Mercedes to return; an S350d (lovely car) and then CLA hatch and saloon hybrids.

1.3 engine mated to small battery with about 40 miles pure EV range, goes well all round really,

The CLA has very obviously been built 'down' to a price, the TV widescreen style dash looks like it's bigger siblings but is actually smaller screens in a big bezel to look the same. The dash top and door top materials feel a bit cheap but the 'controller' in centre console is same as all the expensive ones. The column stalks (lights, wipers, all on LH stalk and gear change on RH lever) are really cheap looking and feeling. The actual drive comfort is very smooth though.

Had a minor 'scare' in one of them though as set off (about 150 miles back to base) showing about 90 miles range of petrol and 20 miles of electric range but fast cruise on motorway saw petrol range lift and electric regen a few additional miles (lift off the throttle and you feel the 'braking' effect quite strongly). About 15 miles from base had 20 miles of petrol and 8 miles of EV, no issues, make it back easily.

Little bit of fast acceleration to get off traffic congested roundabouts and looked down to see zero range for both petrol or electric and 5 miles still left to travel in the 'middle of nowhere'. Eeek..... Laughing

The ability to control the dash screens is a bit over the top; you can use the actual screens as touch screens, use the central controller like a mouse, use the central 'writing pad' and then on both LH and RH steering wheel spokes there is a touch sensitive tiny pad able to control them too. Takes a bit of getting used to as quite 'sensitive' to touch, etc.

Taxi driving is a black economy 'cash only' business now it seems. I get the impression morning shifts are seen as their cash-only shift/perk not recorded anywhere Whistle

Post #224652114th Aug 2021 10:39 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Farmer Chalk wrote:
I had exactly the same on a new loan Discovery Sport the other day… went for an overtake on an A Road the other day and the steering wheel started fighting me … downright dangerous…
Was not even aware it had lane assist which made matters worse….

Why would anyone need it? Maybe it’s time to hang up your driving gloves if you consider it a valuable option?

You can disable it - you use your indicator when you start the move and it doesn't fight you. Whistle Rolling with laughter
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #224654214th Aug 2021 1:26 pm
astonbuilder

more cars starting to have 'passive' lane-keep assist so even if turned 'off' it will still warn/bong/flash and give some slight assistance but not a hard tug but most do recognise use of indicator as a planned manoeuvre. That's BMW drivers fooked then Laughing

Post #224656814th Aug 2021 4:17 pm
astonbuilder

Yesterday a Merc’ S500 AMG. Today this….. Laughing

Post #224699217th Aug 2021 11:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >