Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Pain in the brake!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4
Pain in the brake!

Yesterday on the way to work I noticed a metal to metal scraping sound from rear left rear at low speed without braking. On setting off back home in the evening, applying foot brake, there was a clear grinding of metal to metal. Inspection found that rear left disc was heavily scored (maybe half a mm deep) in a band about 1 cm wide. Right rear had no marks.

Limped to dealer and left it there. This morning they say the left pad was worn out and rear pads and discs need replacing for £434.96 +VAT thank you very much, Big Cry

I queried why there had been no warning light and they said that there is only a wear sensor on the right hand side and that pad was ok! Another piece of wonderful design. Now I have to replace discs instead of just pads. Rolling Eyes

Question: is there any way, apart from depending on the warning lights, to tell when to replace pads? Visual?
Should I aim to replace at fixed mileage interval? Say every service? I do about 16k miles per year, D4 has now done 50k miles, 3.5 years old.
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #108707712th Apr 2013 9:28 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Visual really is the only way to do it!

I'd expect them to have given you the pad thickness when they did the service, just so you have an idea of what is full, what the current wear is and what the minimum should be.

Having said that, when I had a Mitsubishi the dealer told me I had 2000 Miles left on all the pads on the vehicle. 150 miles later, the rear drivers side inner pad wore down to the backing and ruined the disc, much the same as has happened to you. When I challenged them, they said "we can't be expected to gauge the wear rate of the pad material"

So why bother telling me there was 2000 Miles left on the pads? Censored

I check my own now.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #108708712th Apr 2013 9:51 am
Reginald Molehusband

Cheers for that J@mes. I'd better take note of what they look like new so I can tell when they are warn. Whistle

At service last November replaced front discs & pads due to vibration under braking.
I might have to learn how to replace them mi'sel if it carries on like this.

Post #108711212th Apr 2013 10:48 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

IMHO the price from the dealer whilst probably in line with what you might expect, is Censored high! I recently replaced all four discs and sets of pads for around the £600 mark. The parts from TLO and the fitting by Geoff. These were the V8 Discs, carriers and pads so in your case, like for like wouldn't carry the cost of the different carriers. Not trying to ruin your day just saying that there are cheaper ways of getting the same job done with OEM parts!

Hope it's all sorted now?

Best,

Steve Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #108714712th Apr 2013 12:00 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

I have seen this a lot on D4's both front & rear pads.

I am thinking it might be a good idea to make up a small loom to allow the wear indicators to be fitted on both LH & RH inner pads, which looking at the ones that I've had to replace the discs on, would have brought the warning up before disaster.

Mileage depends a lot on the driving style, I have some which have worn out in as little as 18,000 miles (pads)
others, do twice that!

regards
Steve

Post #108715212th Apr 2013 12:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Quote:
Mileage depends a lot on the driving style, I have some which have worn out in as little as 18,000 miles (pads)
others, do twice that!

I blame SWMBO !

Post #108715712th Apr 2013 12:22 pm
Reginald Molehusband

Thanks guys.
Not got it back yet.

Yes, I guess going to a non-main-stealer would help with price - next time ...
Would anyone care to recommend a good independent near Livingston or west Edinburgh?

Do the wear indicators give you advance notice (orange ala low fuel light) or is it a go-straight-to-the-stealer-without-passing-go-or-collecting-£200 light (red ala low oil light)? If the latter then not necessary as there is a perfectly adequate audible warning - a metal to metal scraping kind of noise. Embarassed

Post #108717412th Apr 2013 12:47 pm
MHP

England 

We have just had one of our rear ones done on dads D4 Big Cry We went up to Gaydon and noticed a lot of vibration under heavy braking, got up there no problems Mr. Green On the way home we noticed it getting worse and worse, stopped to have a look and as soon as we got out the car we could smell burning Shocked At this point we were round the corner from the dealer (thank god Laughing ). So we went in there and explained what had happened, the lady on reception booked it in and they did it there ad then Shocked Mr. Green they took a look and then said that they need to replace part of the brake due to some lining comping of or something like that Laughing about an hour (maybe more) later we were back on the road with no problems Mr. Green Bow down And it was all under warranty Mr. Green Couldn't believe they did it there and then without any warning of us coming in!

Fingers crossed you get yours done without any problems Bow down

Mark
 2009 Discovery 3 HSE - Gone
2019 Anniversary Edition D5 - Going
2019 HSE D5 - coming! 

Post #108719112th Apr 2013 1:18 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

The wear indicator brings up an amber led & a brake pads worn message. This is supposed to come up when you have at least a few hundred miles+ left before wearing right out.

regards
Steve

Post #108719512th Apr 2013 1:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >