Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

overland trip to Morocco in D3 v8 - ideas
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

An expedient, cheap and low-cost low-volume solution to a punctured 19” Tyre is a 19” inner tube. No idea why more ppl don’t have ‘this as a reserve. Spent a lot of time in the desert as a soldier and we gave up with replacement tires after 5 mins. Most modern tires (less bespoke) are not up to off off-rosding in the dessert. An inner tube fixes a puncture in a heartbeat. No doubt someone will pipe up about the risks. Plenty of times have I driven in the desert then on the road using inner tubes in no-tube tires. Never have I seen a problem. I’d like to hear of anyone who has dxperienced a problem using a tube in a tubeless tire.

Take one and a compressor. Any roadside shop can put it in for you for a few shekels.
 PAGODA  
Post #193192831st Mar 2018 2:54 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Don't take risks don't drive at night. Get the car serviced and check wheel bearings are 100%. If you are not going off road then no mods are required, you wont even need a RAI.
Make sure your AC all ok perhaps get it re-gassed/serviced.
Buy a plug into power supply (fag lighter) cool box, as long as its in the car and the car is cool it will work ok.
Keep it simple.
If you encounter washed out river crossing drive them with care and slow enough to cross safely. Dont go charging through as its likely you will damage a tyre or rim, again don't take risks.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #193195531st Mar 2018 8:56 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

disco_v8 wrote:
hi james thanks for the input i was just reading this neat install besides i like to install the monitor right unde the arm rest which i sw from another forum member and it looked pretty cool. also, i am planning a drawer system so i better have all the plugs usb sockets next to the rear cubby box on drivers side. i want to be able to close the cover of the 2nd battery so yellow optima seem to be out of question and the biggest battery i can place there (so i can close the cover) is 80 amps i believe.

idea is to feed from the second battery below, am i missing anything?

- fridge,
- winch,
- usb sockets,
- invertor,

With the 2nd battery there is a nice easy/cheaty way to pipe the power round the car, use the car's own wiring. You can run a wire from the 2nd batt, which is piece of weewee on the D3, to the right slot of the relay socket for the aux sockets. Then the front, middle and rear sockets are on the aux batt.

Click image to enlarge

Obviously subject to load limits but with the right thickness of wire fine for light stuff. That cable is fused straight from the battery and another fuse downstream of the relay port. I run my Engel and charge tech this way, but cigar lighter socket off the crank battery and only ignition live. Bow down Bow down to Beanie for the suggestion.

This is the battery I got, half the price of a Yellow Top and half as much more capacity. The battery box needs a bit of trimming to get it in but nothing too bad. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Pic taken before I wired up the fuse box and cables that were taken through the hole into the cabin. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #193197331st Mar 2018 9:45 am
disco_v8

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

what is the part number for the aux battery bracket? does it go in the existing holes or needs drilling etc?
 2005 D3 V8 SE
2005 D3 V8 HSE gone 

Post #193203331st Mar 2018 2:42 pm
acidliam

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Something I really want to do later this year, probably around end of October.

How are the roof tents? Big enough for 2 adults and a kid?

Post #19433728th May 2018 11:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >