Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Optima Red or Yellow top?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
opodden

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Optima Red or Yellow top?

I'm installing a second battery in my TDV6. It will be used for powering cooling bags, radio/ cell phone chargers, hopefully the Webasto FBH when I get my timer fixed, and I hope to install a winch some day.

I know most people install the D34 Yellow Top. Is there any real advantage compared to a Red Top? My dealer says the Yyellow top will recharge faster. The yellow top is also said to tolerate deep discharge better? The fast recharge rate doesn't interest me at all, but he durability and longevity of the battery do. Is the yellow top 21% better than the red top, because that is the price difference at my battery dealer's.

Post #2556585th Feb 2008 11:04 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I have yellow tops and a friend of mine has the equivalent red top . No real noticeable difference in performance - but the yellow tops have thicker cells so they can handle deep discharges better (guess that's where the price difference comes in) . I suppose in the long run the yellows will last longer , because they are more suited to use as a "deep cycle" battery , while the red is designed more as a cranking battery

I decided to go for the yellows despite the higher price purely because I hope they will last longer and I will recoup the difference then .

The following link sums it up quite nicely

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/

Post #2557296th Feb 2008 7:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

On previous LRs I've had yellows tops, they take a bit more abuse than red tops. Winching certainly kills lesser batteries quite a lot faster, and the recovery rate of a yellow top taks some beating.
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #2557416th Feb 2008 9:03 am
Hollywood619

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I have a yellow top that has been used in 3 different BMW's with 1000 watt+ stereo systems used at shows without a hickup. I have also removed it and put it into a small boat to power an electric trawling motor for hours and then replaced it to the car and still start it. Yellow tops are awesome! My newest Bimmer ate it's battery after only one year and I had the Yellow top sitting in my storage closet as a spare/emergency battery for over 6 months, when I grabbed it on the chance and put it into the car it started on the first turn of the key.
 "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"  
Post #2557836th Feb 2008 10:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >