Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

One week & 900 miles in (D4 HSE)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
highlandcow

One week & 900 miles in (D4 HSE)

Well, I got my D4 a week last Wednesday and have done some wild and varied driving: country roads, offroad at Glentarkie, and a 480 mile round-trip on motorways with some driving snow. These are my thoughts on the D4 (coming from Saabs to a Freelander 2, then an Audi A5).

Compared with the FL2, the D4 is much more composed on the road. No drifting feeling on roundabouts or country roads as I experienced with the FL2. Ok, the A5 stuck to the road like glue, but it had sports suspension and a very hard ride on 19" wheels with low profile tyres. The D4 came with 20" wheels and the ride quality is much softer/more comfortable than the A5: a sit-on lawn mower would probably be softer than the A5 to be honest, so I laugh at some of the threads wondering about ride quality between the various wheel sizes for the D4, and the seats are much more comfortable than the A5's.

The D4 is my first automatic and it's taking a wee bit to get used to. In fact, I'm driving in manual Command Shift mode most of the times because I don't like the way the D4 wants to change up at 2,500 to 3,000 rpm. However, when i was offroad I drove in automatic.

Glentarkie was the first time I'd been properly offorad: green road runs and muddy fields the furthest I'd ventured before, but I went last Sunday with a group of people from the Scottish Land Rover Owners Club. I found it useful to follow a couple of older Discoveries: if they could do something, then i ought to be able too. However, the Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyres did prevent me from tackling some of the very steep ascents - nothing to do with my lack of nerves, honest.

I really enjoyed going through deep water: bow waves lapping the bonnet. However, somewhere along the route, I sustained a puncture: probably a piece of slate gashing the sidewall of the front nearside tyre. Mmm, and today somebody is round refurbishing all four alloys.

The thing I learnt the most was that I have much to learn about driving offroad.

There are some niggles: why aren't there active door reflectors or illuminated air vents? Why did LR remove the rear air con? Why does mine have rear headphone sockets? Why don't the 3rd row reading lights come on with the other courtesy lights (the boot light is quite ineffective)? A telephone signal status would be useful on the dash between the speedo and rev counter. In fact, the screen between the speedo and rev counter is largely unused and an iPod browse screen could have been accommodated. The cruise control is a bit jittery when I engage it: it often surges and I have to keep it 1 mph less than the desired speed. A handle (grab-hole) for the loadspace cover would be useful. The brakes make a terrible squealing while reversing. A couple of tracks on the iPod cause terrible bass rattles.

I've disabled the high beam assist because it doesn't change (dip) as quickly as I'd like on country roads. The FL2 I had had adaptive headlights, something I don't feel moved to pay for, but given the choice between high beam assist and adaptive headlights, I'd go for the adaptive headlights.

Oh, I suppose I ought to mention the fairy lights: fairly sh**e! Not a good implementation in my opinion. They're not DRLs because they're not constantly on and no obvious means of making them so from the user-configurable set-up menus. I feel that they ought to have been more numerous and spaced closer together to form a continuous ribbon of light. Compared with the D3, the D4 is bling enough.

Those are niggles and the real test is when I had the A5 I often missed the FL2, do I now miss the A5? Not at all. Razz

Last edited by highlandcow on 4th Dec 2009 7:14 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5605364th Dec 2009 4:59 pm
Supercharged

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I am much in awe of you taking a ten-day old D4 off road, up ascents, through water, dinging the alloys - but that's what the car is for as well as soft-roading!

You earn my respect Bow down
 Paul

D4 HSE Zermatt Silver / Ebony 

Post #5605504th Dec 2009 6:10 pm
oddboy

United Kingdom 

taking them offroad is what they are built for !!! the last brandnew range rover i had i took to an offroad day but i did trash the front bumper and it was 2 days old (most peeps there in old defenders thought i was mad) the main downside was getting it proper clean again, it took 2 days Big Cry
 Richard
club none owner 

Post #5605554th Dec 2009 6:25 pm
Supercharged

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Indeed that's what they are for. Just a bit different doing it with £50k's worth of your own new kit rather than an LR press car! After a few months, sure, but brand new Surprised
 Paul

D4 HSE Zermatt Silver / Ebony 

Post #5605604th Dec 2009 6:47 pm
highlandcow

Supercharged: in awe of me? How the others laughed at my folly.

There's a video taken by one of the SLROC members. It's quite long, but my D4 appears from time to time.

Post #5605704th Dec 2009 7:22 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

supercharged, it took me 8 days for mine to get off-road when I first bought it Mr. Green

Next years Billing event, we'll help you take your around the course or you can jump in mine if you haven't broke it in yet Laughing Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5605934th Dec 2009 8:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Back in the early 1970's - (damn that's nearly 40 years ago) I had a 2 door 3.5 litre Fleetline.

When it was less than a week old I took it on the military ranges at Gosport, and broke a front stub axle - no warantee problem replaced without comment from me or the stealer.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #5606134th Dec 2009 9:35 pm
eaglesrest

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Highlandcow, the cruise has a software fault which landrover are working on a patch for. I'll post when its available.

Post #5607415th Dec 2009 12:37 pm
highlandcow

eaglesrest: thanks.

Took part in my first Tyro event yesterday. Definitely need a second set of wheels with All Terrain or Mud tyres.

Post #5612136th Dec 2009 7:58 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

eaglesrest wrote:
Highlandcow, the cruise has a software fault which landrover are working on a patch for. I'll post when its available.

Ooh, so it's not my imagination...! Dealer of course couldn't repro, but I'll be on the look out for this post - thanks!

Post #5612626th Dec 2009 9:39 pm
highlandcow

And here's a photo of the D4 (with a Series 1 in the background) at my first Tyro event yesterday:

Post #5613437th Dec 2009 12:15 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

That video is a great ad for buying an old Defender (or even Series Landy) and using your shiny D4 to tow it to a play site. And that site looks very good - where is it ? IMHO the Wrangler does rather spoil the otherwise great beauty of the place and assembled Landies.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #5613877th Dec 2009 8:56 am
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

Smart it is the Scottish offroad Driving Centre at Strathmeiglo in Fife. It is normally referred to as "Glentarkie" as that is the farm it is sited at.I have been there a lot with all my Land Rovers. The only one that the owner had any doubts about was the Freelander I took there - his reaction to seeing it was "last time we had one of them here it was on launch day and it went home on a flatbed truck with no oil left in to..." My little TD4 had a great day out with only a dented sill to spoil the fun. I took the FFRR there too and it went everywhere.
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #59148527th Jan 2010 7:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >