DISCO3.CO.UK > General

One Small Step for Man One Giant Leap of Faith
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Top Cat

England 2007 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
One Small Step for Man One Giant Leap of Faith

Hello D3 Forum!

I've been looking at a TDV HSE as a company car (alternate personal choice a Chrysler 300 C Touring), at first I felt that the extra tax was too much (+£180pcm on the LRD3over the 300C V6D) but having the "the hots for the styling" decided to check out any forums that existed, I am quite stunned and at the same time curious as to the (lack of Shocked ) reliabiltiy and (as a counter) the customer loyalty 8) . For sure a Modern Prestige Car cannot suffer such a multitude of failures ? Confused or are these short commings now resolved on newly manufactured (Nov06) cars?
Having owned 7 Chryslers/Jeeps, I'm quite happy with the quality enjoyed/ customer service received to date, and don't wish to buy into needless trouble???!!!!!
You feed back as to real-life ownership would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Top Cat

Post #982312nd Nov 2006 1:07 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Welcome Top Cat Very Happy

Well..... if you've had all those jeeps in the past then you needn't worry about the D3 Laughing

I'm now 11 months in with 14k on the clock and I wouldn't change it for anything Wink Yes there have been teethers that you can expect with a new vehicle but these have all but been resolved and with the advent of the 07 model there will be nothing to worry you at all 8)
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #982332nd Nov 2006 1:17 am
Top Cat

England 2007 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

dickgriff wrote:
Welcome Top Cat Very Happy

Hi DG, thanks for the welcome.

Well..... if you've had all those jeeps in the past then you needn't worry about the D3 Laughing

1 Jeep Cherokee & , 2 Jeep Grand's along with 4 Grand Voyagers hasn't left me with too many bad memories! Wink small issues for sure but a real good ownership experience!

But I love the new LRD3 styling..... Rolling Eyes

Post #982342nd Nov 2006 1:30 am
Mike

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've owned 3 grand cherokees from new and finally made the choice earlier this year for a Disco3.

I loved my jeeps whilst I had them but since owning the disco I realise it is much better. There is no way I would ever move back. Both on and off road ailities of the disco are far more refined and it is a much more capable vehicle in all situations.

Yes I have had a few problems but the benefits far outweigh these small issues

I would recommend a disco to anybody
 '06 D3 HSE
Zambezi with Alpaca, F & R light guards, side steps, privacy glass, MTR's, rear access ladder, roof bars, RAI, walnut trim and a few other little bits and bobs 

Post #982802nd Nov 2006 11:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My experience of the cherokee and grand cherokee is that at 6'3" I simply cannot get into the back, and if I eventually do fit in, my thights and knees are way above the low seat height.....confy in the front but been in hatchbacks with more space in the rear.

Dealers up here are a bit supercillious!

the D3 has VASTLY more interior space than the jeep equivalent (don't know about the voyager though It might not like the mud!)
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #982822nd Nov 2006 11:52 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Top Cat! I have only owned one Jeep and it was a 'to be restored' MB Willys Jeep (Ford version). Sold it before getting to drive it but have owned 3 four wheel drives since and the Land Rover Discovery 3 is the absolute winner in all stakes.

And yes, I had some initial electronic glitches (suspension faults) that have been resolved and recently drove from Brisbane to Far North Queensland and loved every minute whilst doing so. We returned from Cooktown via the 'Bloomfield Track' and can say that I thoroughly appreciated the Discovery's air suspension on corrugated roads. And it is not too bad around town either. Now covered 18 000 kilometres.

Whilst I haven't driven any new Jeeps past 2003 I am sure that the D3 is all that you might desire and expect of a modern 4WD.

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #982832nd Nov 2006 11:58 am
oliver77

Wales 

Some of the early moans were probably mine. When the D3 first came out I was stunned by the styling and waited a year or so before buying one. My first car had problems but many of these could have been fixed before I had the car. The dealer was the main problem, they were rubbish and this added to my frustrations. I took the car to another dealer, they fixed it and all was fine. I have recently taken delivery of an 07 Model HSE, the dealer was superb and the car is superb.

I'm not a Land Rover fan as such so I needed the car to perform and be as reliable as a BMW or a Merc and I have now got that but I can't emphasise enough how important the right dealer is.

Look for a family run company like Marshalls, Lakeland, J.V.Like etc rather than those who are part of a group.

Those members who read my early posts are probably picking themselves up off the floor now but I did have high expectations of the car and they have now been met. The car just gets better and better and I'm now one of those fighting it's corner! Wink

Post #982842nd Nov 2006 12:00 pm
catweasel

oliver77 wrote:
The car just gets better and better and I'm now one of those fighting it's corner! Wink
yes , I believe it's corner has been in training for at least six months now and is in good shape with some big companies wanting to sign sponsorship deals.  
Post #982872nd Nov 2006 12:35 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think overall, the new Ford owned LR models are pretty reliable and would match brands like BMW and Merc for reliability now.
Much of this stuff discussed on this forum are little niggles that are often fixed with software updates and maybe a someone new to this forum could get the wrong impression about the D3. A forum like this would be used for discussing problems, rather than discussing how good your ownership has been.
The D3 and RRS are very different to other vehicles in that they rely so much on software and as LR improve their software, the existing vehicles are constantly being upgraded and (hopefully) improving. This process does product a lot of 'chat' on this forum and again maybe could give a new user the wrong impression. Even an old car is always evolving as it gets the upgrades. Coming from the IT industry, I'm used to this as I'm always installing the latest firmware patches into hardware. It's fantastic that this approach is now in cars.

True, the first D3s did have some issues. But I owned a new RRS for nearly a year and did 20k miles in that, then a new D3 for the last six months and have done 12k miles in that. Both cars have been completely reliable and have never let me down. They are my first Land Rovers and I've been extremely impressed with them and even if I won the lottery tomorrow, I don't think I'd drive anything else (maybe get a FFRR!).

If you're used to Jeep/Chrysler vehicles, then a D3 would *really* impress you once you get used to it.
 Matt  
Post #982902nd Nov 2006 12:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I bought a HSE in april and liked it so much changed wife's D2 for a D3 S Auto (which I use for some offroading). Minor glitches only & no regrets!

Post #982932nd Nov 2006 12:59 pm
dflo

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Top Cat...
The most effectual Top Cat.
Who's intellectual
Close friends get to call him TC
Par-tic-ularly in a D3 - Exclamation

Don't listen to anything Dibble says... Wink
 "Funny, mine doesn't do that......."  
Post #983042nd Nov 2006 1:46 pm
Mikely

South Africa 

TC, having owned a '98 P38A Rangie, ''00 D2 and an '03 G Cherokee Overlander I would go for D3 anytime. Yes the early LR's had numerous problems, and early D2's quite dismal, but none left me stranded. The key, as in many posts in this forum, is choice of dealership and how they address the problems.

As for the Jeep, well I think the most useful feature is the bus and train timetable on page 4 of the owners handbook!

Good luck whatever your choice.
 Mike  
Post #983092nd Nov 2006 2:00 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the D3 is in a different league. The D3 is better in all aspects and you don't need to service it every 6 months!
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #983142nd Nov 2006 2:20 pm
Angel1403

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Agree

Hi Top Cat,

I would agree with general opinion.

I have also owned Grand Cherokee and Grand voyager and three D2s. While I liked all of them, esp the Voyager, The D3 is far better.

Cheers

Allan Smile

Post #983152nd Nov 2006 2:29 pm
swan63

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Top cat

I just recently swopped my S for a HSE after 18 months I was so impressed with everything about the car. Father in law drives a jeep and his smart comments have all but stopped Embarassed and he now druels over my car everytime we visit. The Jeeps are not in the same league, take a leap of faith and you won't regret it. Very Happy

Post #983232nd Nov 2006 3:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >