Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

OMG -What's happening
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4
OMG -What's happening

Last summer I had my MY2011 245BHP 6 speed D4 re-mapped by Pete Bell Thumbs Up which took it to just over 290BHP Whistle It certainly made the car drive a lot smoother and you could definitely feel a big difference in acceleration, especially in sport. The good thing about it was that SWMBO who often drives the car quite sedately didn't even notice it had been done Wink

Anyway, for the last few days I've been driving a bog standard MY13 HSE loan car with 6k miles on the clock as mines in the dealers with fuel pump problems Big Cry but JEEEEEZ does this thing go Shocked it is unbelievably quick, even SWIMBO commented last night on just how fast it was. Surely the 8 speed gearbox alone wouldn't make such a big difference to performance.......would it ?

I'm just wondering now if I've just got used to my D4 and maybe the re-map could have been flashed over and lost at some point, but even so, the difference between the two cars is still simply staggering. Any thoughts on this.

Chris
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #107415119th Mar 2013 9:56 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Maybe just that new car feel?
Or is there something else that makes it feel sluggish?

Post #107415419th Mar 2013 10:04 am
SimSamSeven

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have a D4 XS MY10 TDV6 without any re-map. I recently drove a MY12 HSE SDV6 at a LRE centre and the difference is very noticeable. The smoothness of the gear change and the smooth powerful acceleration are very marked between the 2 IMO.

Post #107415519th Mar 2013 10:05 am
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I upgraded mine in the last couple of weeks as I really didnt get on with the early D4 after my D3. Just felt sluggish compared to my manual D3 and always felt like it needed more gears - probably just me.

Anyway, picked up the new one and its soooooo smooth. Only done 500 miles so not thrashed it yet and told SWMBO not to do over 2k revs, she thinks its slower than the old one.

Just wait until it hits the 1k mark and I tell her to open it up Rolling with laughter
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #107415819th Mar 2013 10:10 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I had driven a few of 245bhp 6-speed (non-mapped)....but once I drove the 8-speed 255,there was no going back...I haven't seen the torque curve figures,so maybe its the extra ratios,but the poke seems more accessible Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #107418519th Mar 2013 11:25 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

They do fly Mr. Green
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #107419119th Mar 2013 11:43 am
highbayrack

Well there certainly is a huge noticeable difference with the 255 + 8 speed, not only the smooth gear change, but also outright performance. But I'm stuck with mine for the next 12 months, maybe I'll get Pete Bell to check I still have the re-map Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)

Post #107420019th Mar 2013 11:59 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

I'm on my 4th 8-spd D4 now and they do indeed drive very well. Apart from the well documented "Hesitation at roundabouts etc" issue that has been present on all them. My current MY13 seems to suffer with it less so than before but maybe I am just used to it now. Ali s' MY13 FL2 doesn't suffer with it at all and it really drives well at 190bhp. Wonder how well these would do with Pete Bells' BAS remap? I'm willing to be a guinea pig! LOL

Best,

Steve Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #107423319th Mar 2013 12:53 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #107423719th Mar 2013 1:00 pm
highbayrack

steveraspberry wrote:
I'm on my 4th 8-spd D4 now and they do indeed drive very well. Apart from the well documented "Hesitation at roundabouts etc" issue that has been present on all them. My current MY13 seems to suffer with it less so than before but maybe I am just used to it now. Ali s' MY13 FL2 doesn't suffer with it at all and it really drives well at 190bhp. Wonder how well these would do with Pete Bells' BAS remap? I'm willing to be a guinea pig! LOL

Best,

Steve Thumbs Up

Steve,

I think you should indeed give it a try and let us know how she goes, maybe you'll need to upgrade the brakes as well just in case Thumbs Up I'm curious to know however, if you don't mind me asking, why would you change your D4 4 times in less than 2 years ?

Chris

Post #107428719th Mar 2013 2:31 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Hi Chris - it's quite simple really - I like them! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Will have to speak to Pete - I understand that it is close to being possible but tbh I don't really need it to be any quicker ! I have a BAS remap on my G4 and the difference is astounding. I did do the V8 brake upgrade to it too though. It REALLY needed them given the G4 dry weight is around the 3 toonne mark before fuel,oil and passengers! ! !

Best,

Steve
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #107429419th Mar 2013 2:53 pm
highbayrack

Steve, that sounds like a good enough reason to me Thumbs Up I think your right, the 8 speed is plenty fast enough given the weight of the car, but no doubt someone will go down the re-map route. I'm just waiting till the end of the month to see if the new RRS is going to be available as a 7 seater, if it does I could well be tempted to get an order in straight away and change early Very Happy

Post #107434519th Mar 2013 5:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >