Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

old/new crank shaft design VIN numbers for TDV6?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
WILLF

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
old/new crank shaft design VIN numbers for TDV6?

I think the TDV6 Crank shaft design was changed in '06 or '07 - ?. There have been big end failures that I have noted in the brief period I have been a member, but not sure for which models these were predimonantly for.

Have these all been pre 06 or 07 models? Have members been able to deduce that it was clearly a bad design that caused the failure?

Which are the VIN numbers with the old or new design? Would it not be beneficial for those with VIN numbers relating to the old design to do oil tests?

Just a thought I had this morning. Obviously I dread this happening to me one day - but I also feel terrible for the owners of the horror story failures, and would like to try and assist where possible.

I have owned a TD5 so know the feeling - the split second of denial, that deep down hollow, empty feeling, a quick flash of the bank balance, a logistical mapping of how to deal with the family and bookings many miles from home - all this going around in ones head like a coleslaw salad. Oh dear the flash backs...

Hi, my name is Will and I have had engine failure... Big Cry

Post #84902519th Oct 2011 9:26 am
WILLF

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Maybe I was mistaken about the crank shaft re-design. There is only one part number from '05 - '09 for a short engine. I am sure there would be a different part number if there were any changes to it.

This means that all TDV6 engines are susceptable to this crank/ big end/ oil starve issue. Confused as nothing seems to have changed in the design... ?

Post #84910819th Oct 2011 12:00 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Its a tiny percentage of all D3's produced, its not a major problem affecting lots of cars. Those that have experienced crank failure have been exceptionally unlucky.

Post #84929119th Oct 2011 5:08 pm
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Willf,
There was talk on here that miss-fuelling might be a cause of big end failure, (damaged injectors overfueling and diluting the oil).

Post #84939819th Oct 2011 8:24 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Also suggestions of loose big end bolts reulting in the shims wearing. I intend to get the sump removed when the cam belt gets changed and bolts checked.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #84957020th Oct 2011 9:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >