DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Oil Level Warning Sensor Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
moles

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Oil Level Warning Sensor Fault

Hi,
On the way to work this morning yellow triangle and warning stating Oil Level Warning System Fault displaying.
On the way home light and warning come on again. Stopped at RCV (they have serviced the car for 6 years) to ask if this is serious. They said it could be. The only way for them to check if the oil level is correct is by draining sump and refilling with correct amount.
The fault could be oil in the plug or loom or could be a faulty sensor. They say this is in the sump and is a big job - over £1000
Does this seem the correct way to handle this issue and is the cost what would be expected?
The engine has never used oil between services and has covered 35k.
Any advice would be appreciated. I have driven home hoping it is just a faulty sensor and trying to convince myself all is well with the oil level - am I burying my head in the sand and hoping the problem will go away?
I am not aware of any posts with the same issue but if you know better please let me know!!!
 moles  
Post #212709810th Mar 2020 6:42 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

I think my first port of call would be the cheapest option which is probably to drain and refill the oil. It certainly wont hurt the engine and at least you can be confident you have enough oil in the sump.

If that doesn't work then move onto the next cheapest option. I was only discussing this another forum member yesterday and we both agreed they shouldn't have got rid of the dipstick
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #212722511th Mar 2020 8:57 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

RogB Thumbs Up

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #212722811th Mar 2020 9:02 am
moles

Thanks for confirming the best way forward. I was just hoping that it would cure itself!!!
 moles  
Post #212735711th Mar 2020 5:40 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

It's best to avoid

Thumbs Up
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #212736011th Mar 2020 5:46 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #212746412th Mar 2020 8:40 am
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

Ask them to check the connector block on the side of the sump. We've seen rodent damage on the cables before.

If they have to change the sensor in the sump, the job will run in to 2 days. Also, make sure they change the cabling inside the sump to the sensor as this can chaff sometimes.
 Joe  
Post #212747712th Mar 2020 10:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
moles

Thank you for this advice. This information helps me to understand how the system works.
 moles  
Post #212758712th Mar 2020 6:59 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Buy beg or borrow about 1metre of curtain wire, the springy/stretch type, remove the outer plastic covering, look at the end, it usually ends in a point when it is cut, if it is sharp just rub it on a stone to take the sharp point off, clean the wire thoroughly,

Take the cap off the engine oil extractor pipe and insert the pointed end of the curtain wire into the extractor pipe, when you meet any resistance push and twist the wire, you will find three places where this has to be done, when the wire will not go any further stick a band of electric tape round the wire(see photo)

Withdraw the wire and measure the distance from the bottom of the tape to the oil level, when full the distance should be 96cmtr when the engine is cold.

If you have any problems reading the distance lay the wire on a sheet of newspaper after extracting it.
Replace the extractor pipe cap.
Congratulations you have just made an emergency oil dipstick for a Discovery 4. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Last edited by M3DPO on 14th Mar 2020 9:33 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #212769713th Mar 2020 12:53 pm
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hello,
Super idea and I asked this Q on another post if anyone had done it or if it could be done.

QQ though - If the distance between the tape (top of extraction tube) and the begining of the oil is 96cms what is the measurement of the oil stain/depth of oil (top to bottom)?

Just thinking that the length would need to be more than 1m - say at least 1.5m to allow for oil depth and big fat hands to grasp it? How long is yours? Laughing

Don't do a lot of window dressing so what is the diameter of this stuff with the plastic on before I look on eBay?

Thanks
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #212770513th Mar 2020 1:45 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Think you’ll find it’s quite a common fault....the switch failed on my 13 MY HSE Lux ...fortunately it was replaced under warranty but the sump had to come off...

Post #212772313th Mar 2020 4:49 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

RATA1 wrote:
Hello,
Super idea and I asked this Q on another post if anyone had done it or if it could be done.

QQ though - If the distance between the tape (top of extraction tube) and the begining of the oil is 96cms what is the measurement of the oil stain/depth of oil (top to bottom)?

Just thinking that the length would need to be more than 1m - say at least 1.5m to allow for oil depth and big fat hands to grasp it? How long is yours? Laughing

Don't do a lot of window dressing so what is the diameter of this stuff with the plastic on before I look on eBay?

Thanks

If you buy 1.5metres it can easily be cut to length, it’s available from any DIY, handy centre, Wilkos, Boyes type of shop cut to any length.
It cannot do any harm as the extraction pipe enters the sump at the same level as the drain plug at a sharp 90degree angle and the wire will stop abruptly At this point, there is no reason I can see why it cannot be left in that position, possibly with a rubber “O” ring at the top to make a seal and as you say cut long enough to be pulled out, The levels could even be marked with paint!
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #212784014th Mar 2020 9:29 am
InTheHighlands

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

What a great solution! If it's not snowing in the morning I'll give it a go.

Driving home at the end of January, I had a "Critical Oil Level" message come on - crawled home, added 1L oil and the oil level then showed full - should have added 0.5L and looked for it to be half full....

As I've been in the Far East for a month since, the car has done about 450 miles since.

Driving this evening, the same has happened - "Critical Oil Level" message. There's no sign of oil where the car as been standing and no clouds of oily smoke driving. I suspect a faulty sensor / wiring.

Apart from the plug on the side of the sump, any other locations to check re wiring? Any thoughts as to where oil might have been going otherwise?

And does anyone know if / where the oil pressure warning light is? I seem to recall reading that it doesn't do an illumination check when turning the ignition on - can anyone confirm?

Many thanks for any info / suggestions.
 Disco 4 65 Landmark  
Post #212805614th Mar 2020 8:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >