52%  [10]
NO, it's crap - leave it alone
47%
 47%  [9]
Total Votes: 19

Albourneboy

United Kingdom 
OH NO, NOT AGAIN!

Got home last night, applied handbrake and just before I switched off the engine noticed that park brake light wasn't on. Not unusual cos sometimes I don't pull the switch up positively enough to operate the EPB.

Gave the switch a good tug and both amber and red lights started to flash and dreaded park brake malfunction message appeared Censored Censored Censored

Opened window and pushed and pulled switch a few times - zilch! Handbrake definitely not applied cos if I took the gearbox out of park, the car rolled downhill Censored Censored Censored

Got in car this morning and no lights and no message Thumbs Up Got to work and used my Faultmate to see if a fault was registered. It was - an EPB switch failure (or words to that effect). Cleared fault and all seems OK but have left the car in park with the handbrake off.

So, a dilemma - should I use the EPB or not. Question Question Question

Trouble is, I use it all the time so unless I really concentrate and tell myself not to, sooner or later I will so perhaps I'd best test it in the work car park rather than have it stick on at the first set of traffic lights Laughing

Post #70533219th Oct 2010 8:19 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The EPB has two switches within the main switch assembly in the centre console - if something strange is detected (i.e. one switch closes, but the other doesn't), then you will get the fault that you mention (EPB fault, but not attempt to apply the EPB).

As to the dilemma as to whether you should use it or not, I guess that it's not that difficult - if the EPB won't apply, then you don't really have a choice Whistle Laughing

Just try buying a new switch and see if that cures it (it probably will). Fitting should take around 2 mins at most Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #70533619th Oct 2010 8:25 am
A1GSS

England 

As you've got an auto, same as me, you might like to adopt my (very immature) policy on this.,..

I apply it when I'm parking at the LR dealer
I apply it once I'm at home
I never apply it anywhere else.

That way it gets a bit of exercise, and if it breaks I can either get it fixed there and then, or wait in comfort for rescue...
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #70533719th Oct 2010 8:26 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

PaulP wrote:
As to the dilemma as to whether you should use it or not, I guess that it's not that difficult - if the EPB won't apply, then you don't really have a choice Whistle Laughing

True enough and to be honest, if it doesn't work, I don't really care - the next MOT isn't due till next September so I can live without it Laughing

What I don't want is the lights flashing at me for the next 12 months - had enough of that the last time it packed in (that was caused by a broken wire) Twisted Evil
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #70534319th Oct 2010 8:37 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I can't remember the last time I used the EPB...

Which probably means I'm between a rock and a hard place - using it and run the risk of it failing (again...) or using it and run the risk of it failing because I haven't used it in a long time... Rolling Eyes

(just as antoniasdad says - I need to leave it with the dealer as they always put it on...so they can fix it if it breaks when they have the vehicle... Laughing )
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #70534519th Oct 2010 8:39 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

1) use the EPB and maintain if often

2) only use it when you need to. if auto then only when parked on hill

simples...... mmmmst (as th meerkat)
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #70534719th Oct 2010 8:43 am
PaulP

Albourneboy wrote:
What I don't want is the lights flashing at me for the next 12 months - had enough of that the last time it packed in (that was caused by a broken wire) Twisted Evil

Just buy a new switch Whistle - it shouldn't cost you more than 20-25 quid and will take just a few minutes to swap over. Then just clear any faults in the EPB module with your Faultmate and job done...

The reference is YUG500320PVJ Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #70535119th Oct 2010 8:48 am
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

I am being thick here as I understood the EPB engaged as soon as you remove the key from the ignition?
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #70535619th Oct 2010 9:12 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Use mine all the time. Had one screamer in four years; fixed by an adjustment did not need a clean. I love the ease of use and not having to release on drive off. Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #70535719th Oct 2010 9:13 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

digitaljunior wrote:
I am being thick here as I understood the EPB engaged as soon as you remove the key from the ignition?
Only on a manual The End  
Post #70536119th Oct 2010 9:21 am
PaulP

digitaljunior wrote:

The OP has an auto Whistle

caverD3 wrote:
Use mine all the time. Had one screamer in four years; fixed by an adjustment did not need a clean.

Amen to that brother Caver Laughing Bow down

But I can beat you......My D3 is 4 years and 1 month old Laughing and I've also had only one single screamer in this time, fixed by a simple re-adjust immediately after it started to "sing".

I try and clean all the crap and mud from the actuator module every few months or after an outing in mud/water and use the EPB at least once a day every day. Thumbs Up

Maintenence is (unfortunately) the key to a happy coexistence with the D3s EPB.....(still doesn't stop it being a s_hit design for a 4x4 though Rolling Eyes )
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #70536219th Oct 2010 9:21 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

PaulP wrote:
Just buy a new switch Whistle - it shouldn't cost you more than 20-25 quid and will take just a few minutes to swap over. Then just clear any faults in the EPB module with your Faultmate and job done...

The reference is YUG500320PVJ Thumbs Up

It's no good you trying to convince me I need a new switch Laughing .

The last 2 failures have been caused by a broken wire down by the EPB module. The last one was reported to VOSA and finally investigated by them and LR - conclusion: wire broken by "unknown external factors" and their recommendation "replace wiring harness as insulation has been compromised" but "as warranty has expired and failure due to external factors, cost of repairs are owners responsibility" Twisted Evil
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #70536619th Oct 2010 9:31 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Never done any preventative maintainance just washed well after getting muddy. However I do make sure I let it sit and drain before appying it after mud or muddy water.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #70536719th Oct 2010 9:33 am
bigtam64

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

On a manual box you can prevent the EPB
Activating automatically when the ignition
Key is removed by holding down the switch as you remove the key
And just leave it in hear. Thumbs Up
 Weekends are to short
Egr valves removed 

Post #70537619th Oct 2010 9:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Albourneboy wrote:
It's no good you trying to convince me I need a new switch Laughing .

OK....I'll stop trying to convince you Laughing

Albourneboy wrote:
The last 2 failures have been caused by a broken wire down by the EPB module.

I must have missed that rather important bit of information in your first post Whistle Confused

OK.....back to business.....you said that both the orange and red indicator lamps on the dash started flashing.....are you sure about this?

Are you sure that the orange wasn't fixed and it was just to red flashing? Or did the red also stay constant? Question

caverD3 wrote:
Never done any preventative maintainance just washed well after getting muddy.

This is what I call preventative maintainence Laughing You didn't think I meant getting tools out and getting my hands dirty did you? Shocked Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #70537719th Oct 2010 9:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >