Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Oh my life .... people and standing water.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Oh my life .... people and standing water.

Well never have I seen such stupidity in large quantities than this evening.

We have had a whole days rain in the Midlands (20 miles south-west of East Midlands Airport) and the little streams and brooks have burst their banks all over the place (A and B roads). A couple of feet of sideways running water in the worst places but nothing biblical (yet)!

The Disco has brought me home no issues ( 8) ) but there are cars strewn all over the place. Bonnets open, folks stood next to them on the phone and even sat in them but stationary (in the water) Shocked

Why - Because they hit the water at speed and at best have got water-logged electrics or at worst, a hydraulically locked engine Rolling Eyes

I'm assuming this story is repeated up and down the country as many have seen the same rain.

Slow down people. Golden rule. If you do not have any indication how deep the water is ahead of you - DO NOT ENTER IT.

The water seems particularly good at stopping German cars tonight including some soft-roaders (whose owners think they own a Land Rover). Just amazed at the sights. There go the insurance premiums again.

Outside of that, I hope the collective are all safe.
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #209967514th Nov 2019 7:00 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Totally agree with you, they seem to be of the opinion the faster they go through it the better, I too have seen incidents tonight that are almost unbelievable and I only walked a few hundred yards to a location that is notorious for flooding near a school, the tactic by many was to stop at the edge of the water, think about it, then make a mad flat out dash to get through the water regardless of other road users or pedestrians. Even a disability ambulance (none emergency) went through it at an estimated 30mph, spectacular site but crazy.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #209967914th Nov 2019 7:28 pm
Lee Trinder

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I agree, what gets me is the roads are flooded by us in some places, but only about four or fives inches on the edge, but everyone seems to insist on driving in the middle of the road, thus bringing traffic to a standstill.

Post #209968014th Nov 2019 7:28 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Four detours tonight x-country due to stranded Censored in 2-3 foot of water (Micra, Merc coupe, Corsa, etc.) and when abandoned they block the road and hence a detour (that was on top of slalom course of dead ‘floaters’ on multiple other roads Rolling Eyes ). Went up to Liverpool this morning and back this evening. The last 10 miles took longer than the first 115 tonight Rolling Eyes

Post #209968714th Nov 2019 8:02 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I don't know why insurers cough-up. Fair enough if the water rises and floods you car in a car park, but if you have deliberately done something stupid, that's down to you.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #209986315th Nov 2019 2:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >