Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

The Official 5th Gear response (Disco V Espace)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
The Official 5th Gear response (Disco V Espace)

Quote:
Hi Richard,

Thank you for contacting Fifth Gear with your opinions. I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed with this feature but we greatly appreciate your feedback and all of your comments will be taken on board by the production team.

The purpose of the Fifth Gear crash test between the Land Rover Discovery and Renault Espace was not to discredit either vehicle but simply to find out which faired better in an off-set head on collision. It is very common for people to assume that a 4x4 is always a safer option than an MPV and we set out to investigate the factual accuracy of this generalisation.

In this instance we used a Discovery which, although older than the Espace, was made with the same chassis as a newer vehicle of the equivalent value to the Espace. Essentially the “ladder” design of the chassis was used in the Discovery up until mid 2004 and the crucial point was that a vehicle of this age would now be worth the same monetary value as the 2003 Espace. Our test, therefore was credible in that we used two vehicles that were comparable as an option for a family wishing to spend £10,000.

In no way did we suggest that a crash between different vehicles, for example a brand new 4x4 and a brand new MPV would end with the same results. I quote Jon’s closing comments in the piece…

“The result of the match is clear – in this crash between these two cars you’d be better off in the MPV. Which many 4x4-loving school run parents wouldn’t have expected. If you’re in the market for a new family motor, don’t automatically assume that bigger is better.”

Fifth Gear will be back next Monday at 8.00pm on Channel 5, but in the mean time don’t forget to visit the website for regular updates on our filming progress: it's the only place you'll get a sneak preview of what's still to come!

Best wishes,

Suzanne Tennant

Fifth Gear
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5486225th Apr 2006 5:43 pm
SN

I see they're still missing the point - a 4x4 with a 60's design chassis (which must now be deemed in a minority of 4x4's) against an MPV with a 21st century chassis
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5489225th Apr 2006 9:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: The Official 5th Gear response (Disco V Espace)

fifth gear wrote:
Our test, therefore was credible

So there you have it......................I'll say no more.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5491025th Apr 2006 11:15 pm
JMC

Scotland 

I was going to post my response which I received from Suzanne Tannant @ 5th Gear,..... but,.... guess what..........

"Hi John,

Thank you for contacting Fifth Gear with your opinions. I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed with this feature but we greatly appreciate your feedback and all of your comments will be taken on board by the production team.............."

Strangely enough, the e-mail goes on to say EXACTLY the same as the one Richard has received. Twisted Evil

What's even worse was that my e-mail to 5th gear spent most of its time complaining about the Audi Q7 piece - however, it looks like I have been thrown into the pile marked 'Disco' and dealt with the same way. Evil or Very Mad

Ah well, at least Top Gear is back on soon........ Very Happy

Post #5492526th Apr 2006 3:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >