DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Odd front PDC Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
js671gb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Odd front PDC Problem

Hi folks,

A few weeks ago the PDC packed up with the 'inactive' message/beep. Traced to the usual chaffed blue wire against the crash bar this morning, found the problem right behind the O/S fog light without having to take the entire bumper off - result!

Spliced by yours truly, and wrapped in a nice layer of self amalgamating tape after working fine on the drive. Now, the system works but it acts strangely as follows:-

Engine off, gear in reverse - Initial 'Beep' from rear then fine
Engine off, gear in drive - Initial 'Beep' from front then fine
Engine on, gear in reverse - Initial 'Beep' from rear then fine both front & back detect obstructions & react
Engine on, gear in drive - Normal initial 'Beep' from front but that stays on as if you are parked with the nose against the wall.

I'm a broadcast engineer so I'm assuming the feedback from each sensor is some kind of resistance value. My splice wouldnt be making much difference to that - I've used core from some 'FST' cable (used for wiring in studios) which is stranded & high quality. If it was my wiring or anything I'd expect the same symptoms no matter what I did...but what do I know?! haha

Any idea amongst the learned on here what could cause such odd symptoms?! Probably me being a complete numpty & missing something no doubt. I've seen comments elsewhere on here about X/Y sensor calibration but being an auto not sure this is relevant?

Cheers! Bow down

Post #202906216th Feb 2019 2:11 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

probably one of the front sensors starting to go faulty.

So you only get the problem when the engine is on... strange.

Cheap sensors have been blamed for this before.

Really need an IID to see which sensor is triggering it

Post #202909216th Feb 2019 3:11 pm
js671gb

Cheers Pete

Yep very odd it only acts up in drive !

I don’t suppose the wire gauge I’ve used would make the blindest bit of difference as it’s fine in reverse?!

Don’t have an IID but willing to bet it’s the O/S/F outer as this was the one with the stuffed wire.

Might go pop the fog light out again today & have a bit more of a fiddle !

Post #202931817th Feb 2019 10:37 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Wire gauge should not make a difference.

If you have a repeatable fault like you do, it maybe worth getting a sensor or 2 off ebay. (less than £15 ea) and swapping it about the front to see if that fixes it.

Also what is worth doing, is lowering the window down, so you can hear the beeps, and with the engine off test the performance of the front sensors with a length of wood/plastic.
Check the 4 sensors individually work as expected. If one is different then it will need to be changed anyway, and may fix your other issue

Post #202932417th Feb 2019 11:13 am
js671gb

Great minds think alike, Pete - I've just been playing.

I've toned out the wires with a meter for continuity & resistance - as we suspected, they all behave the same & there are no shorts between any pins which is a decent result. Glad I didn't make anything worse.

The O/S/F outer (which was the suspect all along having had its wiring severed by the crash bar) behaves differently to the rest with the engine off - its either 'on' with a continuous audio response (i.e: thinking its close against something, or 'off', there are no intermittent tones. With the engine running its just on all the time.

Also in reverse with the engine on - if I get something close to the O/S/F outer its 'on' or 'off' there is no middle ground. So I reckon the wiring loom rubbing for ages has done for the sensor & I'm going to order a replacement & probably have to bite the bullet + have the bumper off.

My guess is that the short caused by the chaffing, which has repeated itself daily for a long while, has just banjaxed the sensor.

Did try to get to the clips to punch the sensor out & put the meter on it with the bumper on, but certainly not a one person job if doable at all via the fog light access.

Can live with it until I get the replacement haha on the upside, I also cleared out my misted up front fogs whilst I was at it, so, not a wasted morning Smile

I'll post back in a couple of weeks with an update in case anyone else has the same problem - hopefully with good news! Cheers! Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #202934417th Feb 2019 12:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >