Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Does nose weight matter?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Matts3

United Kingdom 

Interesting stuff.
I have got into the habit of measuring mine with the Milenco device I have, and always try to keep it at 80kg.
Is it worth adding a bit more?

Post #149306126th Jun 2015 1:20 pm
karlosbu

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I measured the nose weight when I first got the van with it loaded as we like it including awning and gas bottles etc. and it was around 90Kg from memory. Now I don't bother as it's always loaded in a similar way and should be just fine always feels fine behind the disco.

Karl

Post #149306626th Jun 2015 1:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Matts3 wrote:
Interesting stuff.
I have got into the habit of measuring mine with the Milenco device I have, and always try to keep it at 80kg.

Yes it's worth adding 15kg so it stays just below the Alko hitch limit ( assuming you have an Alko chassis)

Post #149308126th Jun 2015 2:13 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I have never weighed it, always put the 10m awning in the front and a couple of bikes (plus the usual gumpf in the storage locker.

Always handled well, never looked to be anything other than level.

That's an 8m twin axle 6 berth Sterling though.
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #149309026th Jun 2015 2:36 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

yes, get the nose weight as heavy as you can.

I find the caravans tow much better and more stable the higher the nose weight, obviously with the limits of car/caravan
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #149309126th Jun 2015 2:37 pm
Matts3

United Kingdom 

Wolfpack wrote:
Matts3 wrote:
Interesting stuff.

Yes it's worth adding 15kg so it stays just below the Alko hitch limit ( assuming you have an Alko chassis)

Cool. Yep, it has an Alko chassis and the Alko stabilising system too, so will try it 15kg heavier next time, Cheers

Post #149310126th Jun 2015 2:59 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I'm not sure "noseweight" is relevant with a multiple axle arrangement.

I tried to measure the noseweight of my new van with the time honoured bathroom scales but buddereg the scales. So I got a Milenco gauge and found out it was way over even what that could measure. So emptied tanks, shifted gas inside behind axle and still not below the magic 100kg. Moved everything out of front half apart from battery and got it down to 100kg.

Great, I thought. Then I backed it out on the motor mover and found the jockey wheel kept rising off the ground when moving. Back to gas in the front again and forget the measuring!
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #149331226th Jun 2015 9:05 pm
Riccarton Disco

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Don't mean to be rude but it sounds to me like you made the age old mistake of trying to take the nose weight without ensuring the chassis was 100% level.

On a single axle it doesn't matter one jot - but a twin axle!!!!!!!!!

Try this wee experiment - find a level piece of ground long enough, at least, for both axles to be on. Put your scales under the jockey wheel with the nose down and then slowly raise until the floor of the 'van is level (check with spirit level against reading of ground) and take the reading of the nose weight.

Remember that the weight on the tow-ball will be slightly less than that on the jockey wheel but not much.

Now, wind the jockey wheel down until the coupling has raised 1" (just 25 little millimetres) and re-check the nose weight.

IME you'll be amazed the difference that 1" can make.

Therefore, do not check your nose weights with the coupling high enough to drop over the tow-cars' tow-ball. Make sure it is at the same centre height as the tow-ball, less 1/2" or so, when you're checking the weights.

Out of interest, for those that haven't fallen asleep yet, I regularly transport livestock which is not what you'd call a fixed load. When transporting my bull the Deafner would go from looking at the sky to looking at the road as he moved fore and aft. Trailer nose weight went from + 1te to - 0.75te. The only time you could relax a little was when the bu Censored er stood still near the front of the trailer. Rolling with laughter

Post #149334826th Jun 2015 10:07 pm
Navigator

Oh I wish it was that easy!

Perfectly level front to rear and side to side, brake off, wheels not blocked, jockey wheel up, block under weight gauge so van is level when gauge compressed. All looks perfect. That is until mover is taking it up a very slight slope and it goes tail heavy. Maybe I have a ghost bull walking about inside!

Yet during the 'van cleaning yesterday we had two folk in the rear washroom to get the rooflight open and it didn't tip at all even though steadies were not down. So I'm going to dig out my Meccano and build a model so I can experiment.

Comment on another forum was to park trailer with front two wheels on blocks when measuring noseweight so back two are hanging in free space. Might as well give it a try as otherwise it will be back to chicken intestines.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #149397428th Jun 2015 2:02 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

One axle on blocks so the other 'hangs' could be a way to do it but wouldn't that mean that all of the weight of the van was on one axle i.e. twice the weight that axle normally has on it and more to the point twice the weight on each wheel and tyre? I'm not sure I'd like to do that even stationary to my twin axle caravan for the fear of damaging something.
Or am I worrying for you unnecessarily?

Post #149420928th Jun 2015 10:32 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Actually another thought (based on the previous post) isn't the right way to measure the height of the tow ball with suspension at normal height and ensure that the hitch is at exactly the same height when you take the nose weight? Assuming that the van is on level ground shouldn't that be pretty accurate?

Post #149421128th Jun 2015 10:41 pm
Navigator

On a close coupled twin axle trailer either has to be able to take the full weight. That is what happens on speed humps, hump back bridges, ferry ramps, cattle grids, and anywhere else that there is an abrupt change of slope. And these are dynamic loads, not static. So quite safe to run one set of wheels up onto blocks, although I think it has more to do with fitting the load gauge under the hitch than anything else!
Post #149437729th Jun 2015 11:00 am
al cope

England 

As has been pointed out, Alko chassis/hitch has 100kg nose weight limit, but right from new delivery, with nothing in the front lockers, our Bailey Olympus couldnt get down to 100kg. I have swapped to lightweight gas bottles, and have to pack very carefully over the axles, with some weight behind (but not right at the back of the 'van - dont want the tail wagging), to get down to 110kg - it runs quite well at that

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #149442229th Jun 2015 12:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Navigator

Exactly my problem and the common factor is "Bailey"! I recon they make them that way so you can load the locker under the bed with any amount of stuff and all it will do is level it out.

The 100kg is a laugh anyway. Noseweirght is supposed to be 7% of the total weight so with a MTPM of 1800kg the maximum noseweight is 126kg. So I'm happy to be at 95.
Post #149464829th Jun 2015 9:12 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I have my twin axle Swift Conqueror which weighs in at 1900kg sitting on flat level ground in my back garden. Using a Milenco noseweight guage I can get the noseweight down to 105kg by taking just about everything out of the front locker except the gas. I also have to load behind the axles and empty the internal lockers forward of the axles. Having done all the moving about the Mrs said "do you need the rear steadies down at the back?" Rolling with laughter
I wound up the steadies and found my noseweight to be 80kg. Embarassed
I put everything back to how it was and returned to a noseweight of 105kg.
Censored I'm happy with that, it tows a dream and never gives me any concern regards stability.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #149475130th Jun 2015 7:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >