DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Norway trip 2016
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Norway trip 2016

Hello all,

SWMBO and me have decided that in summer 2016, we want to travel with kids and caravan to Norway. We're currently looking at either taking the bridge from Denmark and drive up to Oslo, then do something like Kristiansand, Stavanger, Bergen, Trondheim. Not decided after that but considering Swedish lakes and then Stockholm, Legoland in Denmark on the way back.

We'll have about 5 1/2 weeks to spend and my first estimate is that it is going to be about 5000+ kms round trip.

The reason I'm posting here is I'm looking for someone (or a few someones Smile) willing to give me advice, directions, must-do's, don't-do's, must-avoids, etc. So ideally someone from around there who'd be willing to communicate with me on this and share his/her thoughts. I assume this would be too far off-topic on here so possibly by direct email contact.

Anyone volunteering?

Regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #142959619th Feb 2015 9:43 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Take good water proofs and enjoy the place it's an amazing place tad expensive so take your own beer/whiskey

Post #142962019th Feb 2015 10:15 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

We were there three years ago in search of the Northern Lights (found them too, absolutely stunning), it is an incredibly beautiful country and without exception we found everyone very friendly and helpful.

But, as Sean said it is hugely expensive for pretty much everything.

We particularly liked the Lofoten Islands, but really everywhere is so picturesque.
 Andy

Post #142966919th Feb 2015 11:01 pm
Makoo

Scotland 

Bergen is amazing as helped skipper a fishing boat from Mull once, but take your own grog as I think a pint of Guinness worked out at about £12.20 a pint!!!! Shocked

Make sure to go up the hill in the railway and to try the little hot dog shop behind the harbour / main street, next to the laundry!!

Norwegian women, fond memories indeed.

Post #142967019th Feb 2015 11:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

In my top 5 'to do's' is the Atlantic Coast Road

Click image to enlarge
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #142972520th Feb 2015 1:13 am
wvlenthe

I have been looking at the Atlantic Coast Road for a bit, had already seen some video on it before. Deffo on my list but I'm not sure I'd like to trek that with the caravan on tow... may be a nice day out though.

We're dropping Stockholm as too much distance, so from Trondheim to Oslo and then either drive via Goteborg or take the ferry from Larvik to Denmark.

Would have loved to do the Sont bridge but this doesn't make sense - will have to do Sweden some other time then.

So, any people from Norway willing to give me some tips maybe?

Regards,
Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #143099522nd Feb 2015 3:16 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Heading up to North Cape again this summer, North Norway Bash #2. Thinking about up to Malmö via the bridges, to Lake Inari then bit of bondu to North Cape. Then down the W Coast probably til Mo I Rana with a few branch trips. About 6k miles (10k kms) with just me, the road and the bangin toonz, all wild camping or D3 Campervanning. Looking forward to it big time. Mr. Green Mr. Green

A few pics from North Norway Bash #1

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #143103822nd Feb 2015 4:15 pm
Darlip

Sweden 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I would recommend that you visit Lofoten and Andenes where you can enjoy the midnight sun on a sandy beach. At Andenes you can also join one of the whalesafaries which is a nice experience.

Post #143136022nd Feb 2015 11:12 pm
wvlenthe

Might be a good idea for DSL.
As Trondheim will be the northernmost point of our trip, Lofoten is a bit of a detour Smile.
But thank you very much for your input!

Wiljo
Post #143156623rd Feb 2015 12:52 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Pray for little rain...

Post #143159323rd Feb 2015 1:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
D3Norway

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I would be glad to guide you a little bit as I'm planning a trip to the UK either this summer or 2016, and will bring the D3 over for a full service etc.. I've been several times to London as that is just a very cheap ryanair flight away, but NeXT trip will be With the Family and could need some tips on some light greenlaning, Nice Places to stay overnight etc... but I will start a New thread on that later on..

Anyway...Norway..:
If you are planning on doing the west coast I would suggest to either og via Denmark and take the Colorline Superspeed www.colorline.no Ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand. It would be a huge detour to og thru sweden and around Oslo. Oslo you can see on the way back..

Then you will hit E39 towards Stavanger. If you are towing a caravan there is some nice places along the waterfront for camping. F.eks Brusand Camping along the Rv44. take off E39 towards Egersund and follow these coastroads towards Stavanger instead of E39.

Once you have had enough of the Beach and sand head to Stavanger and take the Ferry to Tau. From there you can drive towards "prekestolen" going up there also includes a 2 hour hike, but its well woth it! Ferry across the fjord and back to Stavanger.

Then hit E39 towards Bergen. A detour of about 4 hour will take you towards Odda and you can drive up to the glacier..

The Atlantic road mentioned before is no problem With a caravan, its just a regular 2 lane road..
From Trondheim to Oslo, you should avoid E6. I would reccomend that you go thru Røros and Femunden lake, OR drive a littlebit on the E6 and take the mountain passes.

I've tried to make a Google map link... not sure if this will just create a mess but I'll try..

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Kristiansan...585723!3e0
 [email protected]  
Post #144094311th Mar 2015 2:27 pm
wvlenthe

Hello Christian,

Thanks for this elaborate plan! I will certainly make use of it (and maybe ask you some more questions).
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Wiljo
Post #144103011th Mar 2015 4:31 pm
D3Norway

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sure! happy to assist!
 [email protected]  
Post #144144512th Mar 2015 12:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >