Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

"Normal height only" intermittent suspension fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
webego

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Right, busy delivery day! I have received a new GAP IID tool, new AMK (type) compressor form AF, and new ratchet spanners to get at that top bolt easier.

I was thinking that maybe it is worth reviewing various data from the IID with the current AMK still on. Beyond fault codes, what sensors/data are worthwhile taking note of?

The idea being that once I fit the new compressor I can compare data and see some improvement somewhere other than (hopefully) getting shot of the error.

Post #197647522nd Aug 2018 1:33 pm
webego

Does the fact that the Current Info - Strategy code matches with the AMK Assembly code (9H22-5A919-AA) mean I have the AMK software running?

Also I grabbed a few live stats on the suspension. Can anyone please confirm if these all look normal (bearing in mind I haven't put the second new AMK on yet)?

That offside rear calibration looks way off. Is it possible it can be so different to the others based on how the car is sititing at the time on the ground?

I also pulled the Exhaust valve too but it just showed 0%.

Is there anything else I should check specifically around the fault "C1A2064 - Pressure increases too slowly while filling reservoir"

Post #197674423rd Aug 2018 1:17 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Suspension height values are arbitrary! That is to say they are just numbers which can be manipulated so that the desired height can be achieved at each corner! However, the incremental adjustment values will not be arbitrary, ie each mm + or - adjustment will result in that corner responding likewise! The correct measurement for each corner is assessed at each wheel, and not the tool itself Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #197674723rd Aug 2018 1:58 am
webego

Thanks. I was thinking in particular about the calibration numbers. Do they also change dynamically based on the current ground you are sat on? I had assumed these were your ideal flat ground values (set when you do some sort of calibration) and the actual was showing the difference. If you were parked on a slope then some corners would be a bigger difference than others in an attempt to self level. This is why I was concerned that the offside rear calibration was so much lower than the others. I wondered if self levelling would be chasing this low calibration on that one corner.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge here, just trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible to get this fixed before a week in the lakes.

Post #197680323rd Aug 2018 9:33 am
PROFSR G

I'd suggest you fit the compressor and leave well enough alone. If the car was sitting correctly previously it should do so again with the new compressor, as the programmable data is stored in the control module and not the compressor itself.

If after you have fitted it, and have not unplugged any of the height sensors or control module, all should come back as before. If not, you can then use the tool to calibrate the correct values. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #197692023rd Aug 2018 3:47 pm
webego

True enough. I guess I am just paranoid that I'll miss something and shorten the life of this new compressor assuming the last AMK didn't last because of some previous issue. Hopefully having replaced the tank (which was rusty as hell on the front and top) and the both the reservoir and front valve blocks, it should last longer.

Are there any specific metrics I can obtain for the IID to give an indication of a healthy starting point once the compressor is replace?

Post #197692423rd Aug 2018 3:59 pm
PROFSR G

Yes, if it throws up a fault code Crying or Very sad Seriously though I don't think so other than a DTC. I'd be interested to see what was wrong with the old unit though! Perhaps running it from a battery might yield some results before you dismantle it, limited and all as that is!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #197692823rd Aug 2018 4:07 pm
webego

This is why I also wanted to try to get a good snapshot of the current state of play before I remove the goosed compressor. Like pressures and temperatures so I can compare and hopefully see an improvement.

Post #197694023rd Aug 2018 4:45 pm
PROFSR G

Yeah that might be helpful in determining the reason why such a recent unit failed, or if there's something else lurking Twisted Evil
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #197694823rd Aug 2018 5:14 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Here’s a chart for u in what they should be Thumbs Up

Agree what profsr has said, best to fit the compressor first and go from there

Post #197695823rd Aug 2018 5:55 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

PROFSR G wrote:
I'd suggest you fit the compressor and leave well enough alone. If the car was sitting correctly previously it should do so again with the new compressor, as the programmable data is stored in the control module and not the compressor itself.

If after you have fitted it, and have not unplugged any of the height sensors or control module, all should come back as before. If not, you can then use the tool to calibrate the correct values. Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #197696023rd Aug 2018 5:58 pm
webego

Good News!!!

I hope I'm not tempting fate saying this but it does appear to be fixed!!! Front raises up nice and quick from access to normal and normal to off road. No bong! I still half expect it to reappear but let's see, I have a long drive coming up soon so I'll find out soon enough.

Took some data before and after:

Old

As you can see raising from access to normal, the gallery pressure maxed out at around 1200kPa.

New
Starting from access height:

Raising to normal:

Raising to off road:

All raises were very quick and the gallery pressure was significantly better but also never went above 1700kPa (which looks good according to your chart). The compressor does run for a minute or so after optimum height is already achieved but I assume that is normal?

It is a little noiser than the previous one I think and also I never previously noticed the 'fart' at the end when it opens the exhaust (I see the reservoir valve drop from 100% to 0% and the exhaust valve flash from 0% to 100% and back to 0%)

Post #197710724th Aug 2018 12:32 am
webego

Also just for comparison's sake here is a shot of both the old OEM AMK and the new AF/Bearmach AMK (type)

From a quick overview whilst the new one is obviously a copy, they are pretty much like for like. One difference I did pick up on was the exhaust connector on the new one is steel rather than plastic as on the old one:

Post #197710824th Aug 2018 12:42 am
PROFSR G

All looks perfect to me! It will / should get quieter over the coming weeks as the rubber noise suppressors settle in. The compressor "run on" is normal and will vary, so nothing to be concerned about. Job looks good, well done Thumbs Up

Now all you have to do is find out what happened the old one so soon? Twisted Evil
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #197711024th Aug 2018 1:03 am
webego

Thanks mate. Yeah, i'll investigate it further when I get back from the lakes. I suspect it has just been working overtime due to a leaky reservoir tank.

Which actually, now I come to think of it, means the Old data above doesn't really give an accurate picture because I had already swapped out the tank and the front and reservoir valves.

Post #197711224th Aug 2018 1:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >