Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Noisy Engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jimbob Squarepants

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Noisy Engine

I took delivery of my new XS 2 weeks ago. With 400 miles on the clock the engine noise sudenly increased. It sounds like the exhaust is blowing around the manifold somewhere. The dealers have test driven it and say it is not 'fatal', although they did not explain what they thought might be wrong. They will have it back next week to rectify the problem. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Post #21866627th Oct 2007 1:00 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Hi James, and welcome to Disco3 Thumbs Up

Not something I've come across, but doubtless someone will be along with a similar tale soon Wink
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21887428th Oct 2007 1:34 pm
Jimbob Squarepants

Update.....

The stealer took away my car for the day and returned it with a note saying "Unable to find customers complaint. Remind customer that the engine takes 3000 miles to bed in".

They then send me a letter telling me I will soon be getting a questionaire from LR asking me to rate my experience with their service department and would I please rate everything as "OUTSTANDING" Shocked

I still have my engine noise....It sounds a bit like an original VW Beetle is following me around everywhere.

I will be visiting the stealer at my next opportunity and asking the service manager to accompany me on a test drive.
 Too much intellectual firepower can damage your common sense.  
Post #22459316th Nov 2007 12:25 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Who is the dealer ?

Bit presumptuous of them to ask you to complete the questionaire like that. Especially as they say its all normal to sound like a VW Beetle Shocked

Post #22461316th Nov 2007 12:40 am
Jimbob Squarepants

Another update....

I have spoken with the service manager and he has offered to come for test a drive with me at my convenience. I won't be able to get over there for about 10 days. I will wait and see how I get on before I name and shame!

To Be continued...................................
Post #22511917th Nov 2007 2:39 pm
Jimbob Squarepants

I managed to find time to take the D3 back to the stealers(Colliers of Erdington). The service manager was not available, but a mechanic accompanied me on a test drive and told me that the engine sounded perfectly normal. The noise doe seem to have diminished somewhat and can now only be heard when the children are silent and the radio is off.

The people at Colliers have been extremely courteous and helpful, so I can't complain......unless it gets noisier of course!
Post #23529218th Dec 2007 4:37 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

could be a blown gasket on an EGR valve - look for soot either side of the engine cover, could also be a failed (or intermittent problem) with a knock sensor
If the dealer is unable to find an issue, ask for a back-to-back accompanied drive in your D3 and one of the dealers, make sure it has the same gearbox though

Post #23530718th Dec 2007 5:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jimbob Squarepants

Thanks for that 10forcash. I did think about asking for a drive in a similar car, but I was pressed for time (I had a longer that anticipated wait in the dealers as I turned up unannounced).
The noise seems to be louder some days than others - it doesn't seem to be related to whether the engine is hot or cold. I normally notice it most when I alone in the car - but that may be just because it is quiet in the cabin when I'm on my own. I live at the top of hill in a housing estate, I normally drive up to my house in second gear at 20 MPH - that is when the noise is most apparent. Needless to say, the day I visited the dealer was a quiet day! The dealer did say that if I have any more concerns about it the I am to take it staight back.
Post #23531818th Dec 2007 5:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >