Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

No heat or hot water for five days - rented property
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

My heating has broken down twice in the past 12 months, and the quickest I could get it fixed was along the same timescales as the OP’s. Should I ask a solicitor to send a letter to me?

As for the Brexit thread, perhaps you could point me to any post I have made that is moronic. I don’t go around calling people morons just because they have a different opinion on a political matter. Thumbs Up

Is al cope a moron too because he wasn’t able to magic up an instant fix when he found himself in the landlord’s position? Rolling Eyes
 An ex-Disco3 / FFRR owner ......

..... now on the JLR electric highway. 

Post #219414215th Dec 2020 10:24 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Been on both sides and seen the issues from both.
We let a property but before the tenants went in there we put in a new boiler, 2 months later it packed up and was under a warranty with WB, they arranged to go to the property two days later to fix it as the tenant had a baby. In the mean time we asked legal advice as to what we had to do and was told the following by two different sources.
Arrange for the boiler to be repaired at our cost ASAP, supply a couple of electric radiators to keep tenants warm and offer a reduction in rent for the issue.
Again both sources told us that as long as we had done all of that we were not liable for anything else and providing the repairs were carried out in a reasonable time we were not liable for moving the tenants into a hotel, if they wanted to do that it was at their cost and they would also still be liable for the reduced rent. We did look after them and did ensure they had a rent reduction and the boiler was fixed in two days.

We were then caught in the same situation when my daughter living in rented accommodation had the same issues, the landlord and letting agent were very very slow to react and they were without heating or hot water for nearly two weeks. We sought legal advise and was given basically the same advise as above. We didn't get a reduction in the bill and no heaters were supplied. I did however after lots of aggro and going direct to the director of the lettings company get some compensation for the girls, not a lot though
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #219416416th Dec 2020 12:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
My heating has broken down twice in the past 12 months, and the quickest I could get it fixed was along the same timescales as the OP’s. Should I ask a solicitor to send a letter to me?

It depends entirely on the contractual position.

I have a maintenance contract which provides for a 5 working hour response, 7 days a week.

I also have back-up, more expensive, forms of getting hot water & heating the house. If I have to use them, because the maintenance contract is breached by the contractor, I am recompensed for having to use them & for the inconvenience.

If you choose not to have a contract then your position is entirely different.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #219417916th Dec 2020 8:01 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Paul.J

I think you are confusing the legal position regarding renting a property (and paying more than a mortgage would cost) with someone that owns their own home.. If you own your own place then it is your call as to what provisions you have in place for boiler cover and the only obligation you have is to yourself and your family..

Renting however is a contract to provide a service, (which includes maintaining the boiler and fixing the boiler) and therefore the tenant has no control over who the engineer is or what service is provided (in this case I was EXPRESSLY forbidden by the managing agent to bring my own gas engineer in who could have resolved the issue in 10 minutes). BY refusing to allow the problem to be fixed in a reasonable timescale the agents (and therefore the landlords) are in breach of contract.

Add further to this that any reasonable managing agent would have access to more than one gas engineer and therefore by refusing to allow any other engineer (from another local firm) to attend to resolve the issue they are again in breach of contract.
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #219418116th Dec 2020 8:27 am
al cope

England 

@ Nigel - check what your tenancy agreement says on this point:

Renting however is a contract to provide a service, (which includes maintaining the boiler and fixing the boiler)

Because our tenancy agreement states clearly that the TENANT is responsible for the maintenace of all electrical and mechanical devices in the property. I however do hold a maintenace agreement for the Boiler/cooker and C/Heating, and have it serviced along with providing the annual Gas safety Cert, as I deemed that was what a good landlord would do.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #219418616th Dec 2020 8:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigethecat

Al,

In my agreement it is "the landlord who is responsible for fixed items" and it specifically includes the boiler and gas hob... (in some places the landlords don't provide a hob or cooker so that becomes the tenants responsibility).

In my case the managing agent expressly prohibited me from fixing ANYTHING in the property as they get paid kickbacks from local trades people who do the works... the only thing I'm allowed to change are light bulbs (but even that is now thrown into doubt Laughing ).

Extract from the managing agents below:

"I am confirming that you do not have authorisation to carry out any works at the property."[/u]
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Post #219419416th Dec 2020 9:11 am
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

nigethecat wrote:
Paul.J

I think you are confusing the legal position regarding renting a property (and paying more than a mortgage would cost) with someone that owns their own home.. If you own your own place then it is your call as to what provisions you have in place for boiler cover and the only obligation you have is to yourself and your family..

Renting however is a contract to provide a service, (which includes maintaining the boiler and fixing the boiler) and therefore the tenant has no control over who the engineer is or what service is provided (in this case I was EXPRESSLY forbidden by the managing agent to bring my own gas engineer in who could have resolved the issue in 10 minutes). BY refusing to allow the problem to be fixed in a reasonable timescale the agents (and therefore the landlords) are in breach of contract.

Add further to this that any reasonable managing agent would have access to more than one gas engineer and therefore by refusing to allow any other engineer (from another local firm) to attend to resolve the issue they are again in breach of contract.

Is there a service level agreement in the contract to cover such matters? If not, then the landlord only has to make reasonable endeavours to resolve the matter promptly. I understand your frustration in not being able to arrange the repair yourself, but looking as a neutral observer, I see it as a situation that was resolved within a reasonable timescale. Yes, it's annoying to be without hot water, and having to reply on a kettle to wash etc. I also think that it would have been reasonable for the landlord to provide some portable space heaters (as per Russell's experience). I do, however, remain surprised that you felt the justification to send solicitors letters. What if the landlord decides that they have a 'problem tenant' off the back of this experience, and decline to renew your tenancy? Who wins then?

Post #219419716th Dec 2020 9:11 am
nigethecat

I don't want to renew the tenancy agreement... I actually want out sooner if I can... they've been a crappy landlord/managing agent from the word go so no loss there..

Place not cleaned when I moved in (umpteen viewings and not required to wear masks or sanitise hands)
No water available due to leaks (fixed by me)
Blocked toilet (fixed by me)
Broken shower
Boiler not working properly
broken window locks (fixed by me)
Damaged broken plug sockets (fixed by me)
No Gas Safety Certificate for four months
Warped and damaged flooring (still not fixed)

This list is from DAY 1!!!

The list goes on... created by an argument between the manging agents and the landlords,

I'm sure you are a far better landlord than this (no argument there) but there are some crappy agents/landlords out there...

Post #219420016th Dec 2020 9:24 am
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

Post #219423016th Dec 2020 11:58 am
recordman

@nigethecat

Given the disgraceful behaviour of both your landlord and letting agent (particularly the absence of a Gas Safe certificate), has your deposit been protected legally?

Also, I believe that if your tenancy commenced after June 1, 2020 an Electrical Inspection Condition Report is required by law.
 Visitor from FFRR  
Post #219426216th Dec 2020 3:59 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Im with paul on this one boiler fails on tuesday and its fixed on friday . some people want the earth Censored happens move on.. How quick to respond was that solicitor ? better get suing him as well.
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #219446417th Dec 2020 12:38 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Sorry I restarted reignited this thread!!! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #219446617th Dec 2020 12:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to: