DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Newbie tyre queries
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Redroof

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Newbie tyre queries

Hi all,
Firstly, apologies if these questions have already been asked!
I am a long term lurker on the forum after buying a 2016 Waitomo D4 Landmark in April 2017 and so far found the forum a huge help in answering loads of questions to the point where I’ve not needed to post, until now!
The car is great, pity the service from the dealer cannot match it, but I digress....
I have recently been finding the ABS deploys earlier in the wet than it had when the car was new to me. I am putting it down to tyre wear, current situation is 20” Pirelli Scorpion Zeros with circa 5mm, and just clocked over 17k miles. Amazingly this was flagged as an advisory during her recent service! Normally I wouldn’t be bothered by this amount of tread depth but with the ABS kicking in so early I am considering swapping.
So, on to my questions....
1. What are recommendations for tyre replacement - summer?
2. Any recommendations for all season tyres?
3. Any recommendati9ns for getting a set of 19” wheels and winter tyres?
I mostly drive on road with the odd foray into a wet field or gravel track, but for more off road type stuff I have a defender that ticks those boxes!
Any suggestions would be a huge help!
Cheers
Garry

Post #198310313th Sep 2018 12:20 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The Pirelli Scorpions do seem so inconsistent, mine have now covered over 32K still have 3mm of even tread and handling is still consistent. Mostly road use I hasten to add.

I'll be changing soon probably for the General Grabber GT, I had them in 19' on my D3 and they were excellent.

I would change to a 19' wheel on my D4 but I like the style of my 20' wheels compared to the offerings in 19' that I'll probably stay with them.
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #198310513th Sep 2018 12:33 pm
Redroof

Interesting about your Scorpions. I was wary after coming from an Audi RS4 where the forums all berated the Pirelli P Zeros even though I put P2000s on most previous cars and sang Pirelli praises. It’s horses for courses I guess. I’m just trying to find out which horse for this particular course!
I also felt some understeer the other day, somewhere I wasn’t expecting it, even though it was wet. On the whole, I’m not hugely impressed by my Scorpions.
I am considering a new set of summer tyres on the 20” wheels and going for a wheel and tyre package with winters but again unsure of what to go for.
My first instinct is that all season tyres are a compromise and therefore jack of all, master of none, however I am happy to be advised otherwise.
It’s not desperate at the moment, though the seed has now been planted!
Cheers

Post #198311413th Sep 2018 1:26 pm
33Lurcher

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I had Michelin Cross Climates on my previous Discovery Sport and was very happy with their all year round performance , would have put them on the D4 when I got it last year but they weren't available then .
I believe the Cross Climates are now available in D4 Size .
BTW I put Vredestein Wintracs on mine back end of last year and have kept them on since .

Post #198314513th Sep 2018 3:17 pm
al cope

England 

My 21" scorpion Verdes are down to 4mm and I get no ABS kick in, or understeer, and were at 4.5mm when I put then on in April, so 0.5mm wear over the summer, can live with that, sounds like at least next summers running is covered.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #198345314th Sep 2018 3:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My Scorpion ATRs are on almost a year now so approx 20K KM with no noticeable wear at all.

Post #198345514th Sep 2018 4:00 pm
Washwipe

England 

Scorpions Zeros here also, no issues in the wet, currently down to 5mm having done 27k in them, though they do get removed for four months of the year during winter when Vredestein Wintracs were fitted, time for a change this year though. Previous D4 again with Scorpion Zeros, no issues in the wet.

Post #198345614th Sep 2018 4:02 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Erea wrote:
My Scorpion ATRs are on almost a year now so approx 20K KM with no noticeable wear at all.

Discerning tyre. Thumbs Up

Gratuitous pics from last road trip. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #198345814th Sep 2018 4:07 pm
Redroof

Thanks for the replies folks!
After another run out I feel the ABS is still kicking in earlier than I’d expect in the wet. I was thinking it could be the roads (proper crap round here!) but I don’t get the same effects in my RS4 in similar conditions. As this is the West of Scotland, wet performance is pretty much top of the requirements. Cost isn’t really a factor as I believe tyres are one of the most important components on a car. I am wary of all season type tyres as I can’t help but think there is compromise somewhere. I am however happy to be proved wrong!
Perhaps as the Dora the Disco is my first big SUV it’s just a idiosyncrasy that I wasn’t expecting and maybe I’m breaking too heavy and cornering too hard! It certainly doesn’t feel like it!
I wonder what new Scorpion Zeros would be like? I might try another set and see how I go!
Thanks again, I’m sure I’ll have more questions in the future as we intend to keep this one for a while, if she behaves!
In the meantime here’s a gratuitous photo from last year’s holiday on the South Coast!

Cheers
Garry

Post #198592024th Sep 2018 7:28 am
2Springers

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'd take a look at the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season if you are mainly on road. I have run Scorpion Zeros, General AT on my Disco and General Grabbers on a RRS and of them all I would put the All Seasons back on in a heartbeat.

They are good in wet and dry and not found any compromises tbh - have run them in +40 degree heat and in -15 degree winters and never had a problem. If you are suffering wet grip issues on the Zeros these may well help you.

Durability is good, road noise low, handling spot on and even my fuel consumption increased albeit by two mpg lol.

Think I posted something on these tyres earlier in the year - rushing so can't find it to cut and paste but will be there somewhere.

Good luck with whatever you choose Thumbs Up

Post #198600424th Sep 2018 12:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >