DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

newbie to site and new d4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Castell

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
newbie to site and new d4

Folks

I am not new to discos (had a couple of D3s) but a new poster on the site.

I found the site a few weeks ago when I was looking at changing my 57 D3 HSE for a D4 and wanted some guidance. I found the various posts helpful and am appreciative.

We use our landies ( apart from Disco we have a 09 County Crew Cab and a 09 HCPU) for work as much as family. The D4 will be used as much offroad on shoot days as on road.

Anyhow the D4 HSE has been here a week and has had a good thrashing offroad as well as on road. Now I am no expert on offroading or indeed cars but I have had a number and refering to various posts that gave me guidance my thoughts/advice in return

1. A D4 or a D3.5. I agree with the later as it is an uplift rather than a significant departure. That aside the bit under the bonnet is certainly differant.
2. Better looks - in my opinion no - the D3 is more symetrical and iconic. Bumpers looked much better as well as front grill on the D3.
3. Drives well?. Certainly the power is impressive and on road handling brilliant BUT is so comfortable its almost borring. Went a few miles offroad this evening over some tough ground and seemed much the same as the D3 -very able but standard tyres US in mud. Brakes are differant and I am still unsure as to which I prefer - in the next few days I need to try slamming them on to find out.
4. Black leather it is not but then it is not grey - rather a light matt lack.
5. auto dip headlights - rip them out in the country as you upset all and sundry whn they dip, you go round a bend - they come back on and the oncoming car thinks you are flashing at them !
6. interior - to begin with I was missing the D3 interior but now prefer this. enough buttons to entertain and very ergonomic. Aft of the helm it is the same as the D3 - all things good. Do miss the little plinth in front of the screen to put fags and phone on and also the passenger cup holder. door handle lighting is sexy but described as "mood lighting" which I expected to be hot tub style ie. you can change the colour and not just the brightness.
7. colour - i went for posh brown (bronze) which is brilliant as I will never have to wash the car again as it matches the mud. Its sort of OK and functional and a change from my normal blue.
8. Fuel - about 3mpg better than the D3.
9. Keyless entry etc - excellent - so easy and have learnt a couple of ways to trick it so as to have emergency keys on hand.
10. phone bluetooth is much etter than D3.

Main gripes

1. My D3 HSE had adaptive lighting - horrified when this turned up with out it and my fault for reading reactie for adaptive. Why put the price up and take essentials off ?
2. Ditto mud flaps.
3. Glad the fridge has gone as it served no purpose with our current weather but refer to point 1 above in exchange.

Overall there is no denying that this is a super product and is where the D3 should have been. Is it worth upgrading - prob not unless you have good reason as the D3 is not far behind. Am I happy with it then yes but I do feel that the price hike on the top model leaves you thinking that those extra bits should be included and thus you have been ripped off.

My thanks again to whoever set this site up and gave me a bit more of an insight.

Regards

Post #51808310th Sep 2009 1:48 am
jkp

Scotland 

Fantastic balanced view and write up Thumbs Up

Welcome to the site Thumbs Up

Post #51808410th Sep 2009 2:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Welcome and what jkp said Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #51808610th Sep 2009 3:03 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Re: newbie to site and new d4

Castell wrote:
colour - i went for posh brown (bronze) which is brilliant as I will never have to wash the car again as it matches the mud.

My thoughts too, although dust instead of mud is threatening to get in mine's way.

A good report - thanks.

Post #51808710th Sep 2009 3:49 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Nice review Thumbs Up

Welcome to the site Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #51810610th Sep 2009 7:54 am
NIDisco3

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Nice Review Thumbs Up