Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

From a newbie - Roof mounted DVD player query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
leady

United Kingdom 
From a newbie - Roof mounted DVD player query

Firstly - I picked up my second hand D3 HSE the other week and loving it Very Happy Secondly, this site was a great help in deciding what to do regarding buying a D3 - I just hope no one here is biased about the D3 Rolling with laughter

So, I've read lots of posts on DVDs - some of which are a little old so I thought I'd put my plan out to the group to get it given the thumbs up or down as there may be new kit available or changed views based on the last few years experiences with the kit. We've 3 young kids and figure a DVD would be a real asset. So I am currently thinking about Alpine PKG1000P screen (screen only) to go with a changer hidden in one of the rear seat passenger holdalls (anywhere better for it ?).

What do you think ?
Lots of people seem keen on installing Rosens - should I be doing this?
Has anyone got experiences either way about Alpine ?
I'm not up for installing this kit myself and will be using a audio guy who has done some D3s but doesn't appear to be overly familiar with the car - do I need to give them any pointers (we have a 2005 HSE with no rear AC and no bluetooth). Additional complexity is that they may be doing a parrot install as well (MKi9200)

This cunning plan has come from simonsi (btw - pics on earlier post seem to have gone ?) and WhatPotHole earlier threads - so thanks to them for getting me going.

Any advice from the masters out there will be gratefully taken on board.

Post #56574816th Dec 2009 12:04 am
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If you have three children, why not look at Head Rest options, there are quite a few

Just to confuse you of course! Whistle Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #56575716th Dec 2009 12:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tallmat

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I bought a car with the OEM Rosen fitted. It didn't work.I explored all alternative options and ended up buying a replacement 10" Rosen mainly due to ease of installation (a swap for the dysfunctional unit).

Positives:

- It's brilliant. Full surround sound through the car.
- Big screen means all rear seat occupants (both rows) can see the movie.

Negatives:

- It obstricts rear view mirror
- Playing the sound via the main audio system is a pain. I've lost count of the number of times I've listened to - but not watched - Bolt, Cars. Kung Fu Panda, Bloody Ben 10, etc...

Post #56580516th Dec 2009 2:22 am
fade2grey

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

If you remove the plug in the rear aux socket (behind the centre arm rest) the DVD won't play through the car stereo - all viewers will need IR headphones though.. works well on mine.
 56 HSE  
Post #56595216th Dec 2009 2:03 pm
wilsonmg

England 

I got the LR head rest ones retro fitted by TFC (forum sponsor).

They look the bee's knee's, and the best of all is as I run it from my phone or Ipod, then no additional perm fixing had to be done. . just plug it into my phone inside the central armrest, and all sorted. The sound is via IR headphones and all LR branded Thumbs Up

I believe a very cost effective install and very versitile as you can plug whatever you want into the video source.
 Still miss my D3 Sad  
Post #56595816th Dec 2009 2:14 pm
Tallmat

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

[quote="fade2grey"]If you remove the plug in the rear aux socket (behind the centre arm rest) the DVD won't play through the car stereo - all viewers will need IR headphones though.. works well on mine.[/quote]

Yes, I have three sets of headphones, but the kids prefer playback via the speakers.

The other disadvantage is changing DVD on the move is difficult.

Post #56602216th Dec 2009 5:20 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi,

I,m just looking into this option in a Disco i have just bought.

Is the Unit roof mounted to the head lining ? if so is it substantial enough to hold the weight ?

Cheers. K

Post #56607016th Dec 2009 7:19 pm
leady

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the tips ..

I was thinking like tallmat that the large drop down was going to make the DVD usable by all 5 rear seats (are the headset items only usable by the passengers directly behind ?) and with young kids using the car hi-fi system was likely to avoid having 3 sets of headphones stashed in the car together with issues when they drop them whilst on the move ! I like the idea of having video fed from the iPod .. nice

- do you loose a lot of the visibility ?

chalky - are you local to Leeds / Bradford - perhaps we can get a joint deal from the guys I am talking too ! Thumbs Up From what I have read there are no issues with wieght of the unit in the roof. Check out WhatPotHole gallery for installation photos - though this is the unit with the dvd in roof and not the screen only unit that connects to a changer else where.

Post #56612416th Dec 2009 8:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >