Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Newbie question about types of issues...stranded or no?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RHW

United Kingdom 
Newbie question about types of issues...stranded or no?

Afternoon Folks,

I am on the cusp of getting into a D3 as more space is needed (currently in a lovely albeit boring Subaru Outback H6) but as obviously usual have read about the supposedly bad reliability of the D3's.

Part of me wonders if this isn't just the type of folk that bought these as new and rightly expected a totally trouble free experience but got upset at non major faults popping up too regularly.

I am happy spannering myself so all service items (save main belts) will be done by myself.

My main question really is: how many of the known faults will actually leave you stranded?

Niggles and warning lights I can deal with but I need something that is still drivable.

For example, a previous Mercedes I had became undrivable after a single speed sensor pick up went faulty which is bonkers to me...does the D3 have a similar system that get's thrown in to limp mode at the first sign of non essential errors that then requires dealer resets?

Thanks folks

Post #228105727th Feb 2022 4:52 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The the oil pump can fail on 2007 models and destroy the engine.
So change your oil pump when doing the cam belt.

Otherwise the car can lower the suspension on a error or whim and leave you bumping along.

Post #228107627th Feb 2022 6:32 pm
nebc100

Luxembourg 

I have had a D2, D3, RRS (2007), 2004 FFRR and now have a D5.

The D2 only ever ONCE left me stranded and that was actually at home when I was replacing the injectors and the previous owner (or LR) had over tightened the bolt and it snapped in the engine block when I was undoing it.

The D3 left me stranded ONCE. Battery failed and out the vehicle in to limp mode. Replaced the battery next morning (stayed in a hotel overnight) and drove the next 600km home with no problem.

The RRS never let me down.

The FFRR never let me down.

The D5 has (so far) never let me down.

BUT.....

On the RRS, D3 and FFRR the previous owners had not done the maintenance as well as they should. This meant that I had to have the whole gearbox overhauled on all 3 of them at approx 200000km.

My advice is to make sure that oil in the gearbox has been replaced regularly, as if not you will probably need to replace the torque converter, and maybe even the internal clutch packs.

Then make sure that timing belts, tensioner pulleys and oil pump have all been replaced, as they can destroy you engine if any of them fail.

Replace the EGR valves regularly (I am not going to suggest you remove them as this is not 100% legal)

Even then... There is always the risk the crank will snap.

Having said all this... I would willingly have my RRS back (or my D2!!). I loved that vehicle and it was hard to see it go!!

I find that my LR vehicles have always done everything that I have asked of them, have been suppremely comfortable, and so far I cannot really complain about my LR vehicles.

I am not very impressed with LR customer support, but once the vehicles are out of warranty find a good independent garage you can trust and simply go to them.

Good luck making you decision!!

Be warned though... If you buy a LR, I doubt you will want to switch to something else afterwards!!

Post #228109127th Feb 2022 7:22 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Like everything mechanical if not maintained (and I don't just mean serviced) then things can/will go wrong, but most issues (other than the crank/shells) are fixable and if you're good with spanners than you will have hours of "fun" Laughing

The engines, despite what you may read, are no more unreliable that BMW or even other makes, it's just LR owners seem to expect more and shout louder (especially on here Rolling with laughter )

Jump in with your eyes open and you will have a lot of car for very little money and sooooo much fun Thumbs Up
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #228109627th Feb 2022 7:31 pm
RHW

United Kingdom 

Thank you for the replies everyone, very much appreciated.

Every time I have talked myself out of buying one I find myself browsing adverts two days later so I am kind of resigned to finally getting one I think.

When the suspension does lower and drop into emergency mode for whatever reason does it drop into some rev restricting limp mode and make it silly slow to drive?

I’d be trying to get a manual SE spec I think as I’ve been in autos for too long and fancy a change so no auto mega flush to worry about.

I’d likely be getting the belts changed immediately along with the egr blanks and oil pump…any rough guidance on a price for belts and oil pump from an indie?

Thanks again chaps, the search in earnest begins unless someone here is selling a 2005 manual se?😀

Post #228113527th Feb 2022 10:52 pm
RHW

United Kingdom 

nigethecat wrote:
it's just LR owners seem to expect more and shout louder (especially on here Rolling with laughter )

Jump in with your eyes open and you will have a lot of car for very little money and sooooo much fun Thumbs Up

I had thought it maybe something along those lines (hoped really).

I know two people with a d3 and the guy with the all steel bumper adventure ready hse has had a new gearbox, new suspension, egrs and other bits at a hefty price, the se manual has only the boot actuator problem…I initially thought that meant no boot access at all but perhaps the top section of the split tailgate still opens when the lower part breaks?

Post #228113627th Feb 2022 10:57 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

There is a very simple manual release (available as a kit) that you can fit so you can still get access if all else fails.. I’ve not had my SE many Al long but have four other D3/4s and loved every one…

The manual is very good for towing and capable of 600 miles on a full tank.. Cool go on get one and join the party Laughing
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #228113927th Feb 2022 11:17 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The suspension doesn’t limit the speed.

I think the top part of the boot opens first

Post #228114227th Feb 2022 11:27 pm
RHW

United Kingdom 

Speedy replies, thanks guys. I think I’m going to like it here

Post #228114327th Feb 2022 11:29 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi , welcome!

Have a good read here on the forum, use the search button also if you have a question, most if not all of your questions have been covered many times before..

Gearboxes manual and auto almost never breakdown on the LR’s.. same with a total replacement of suspension system, almost never happens….. valve blocks, airpump etc. Do need maintenance time to time and if not, need to be replaced…. (Struts as said not very often) ..
every brand motor with an auto box can become troublesome at the time converter if not serviced regularly….

However LR’s are not Subaru’s (i have owned 3 Subaru’s and two LR’s) regarding maintenance costs…
Iike night and day.. simple (but that is mainly because we compare it with a Subaru they are so Censored good)

If your lower actuator fails, both the tailgate parts will remain shut!
Buy the kit, to have a failsafe or mount a cable (search and you will find it)
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #228114527th Feb 2022 11:32 pm
RHW

United Kingdom 

Thank you Motolab Thumbs Up

Post #228117428th Feb 2022 8:33 am
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Pete K wrote:
The suspension doesn’t limit the speed.

Correct it doesn't affect the ability of the engine to still develop full power/speed but no way could you drive any real distance at much over 30mph, if even that due to having no suspension and bouncing around on the bumps stops. You would destroy the bump stops and probably cause further damage.

Maybe on a smooth straight road it wouldn't be too bad for a bit, but I had to drive mine a few miles through town to get home and it was an experience Surprised

Post #22813721st Mar 2022 9:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >