Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

New V8 owner – Issues & question about parts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MintyHit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
New V8 owner – Issues & question about parts?

Firstly, hello everyone! I’ve been lurking for a year or so whilst I made up my mind about buying a Disco3. I am now the owner of a 05 4.4 HSE V8 in Java Black.

It’s great and I’ve already christened with a few scratches driving around green lanes near Thetford Forest and along Peddars Way – I highly recommend the ViewRanger app for finding these.

So as usual I have a few issues:

The front suspension knocks and feels a bit loose
    A whining/scraping noise from about 10mph (wheel bearing?)
    Air suspension dips at the front overnight (valve block seals?)
    Parking sensors inoperative (wiring or sensors)

I’ve been through the MOT history on https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ (great service) and found a load of advisories that have yet to be done:

• Nearside Front wheel bearing has slight play (2.5.A.3c)
• Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear (5.3.4 (a) (i))
• Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear (5.3.4 (a) (i))

I guess this would explain my first two issues?

My question is where is the best place to get quality parts (OEM or aftermarket) to fix these? I am a pretty competent mechanic so happy to do the work but I have a personal hatred of cheap chinese parts made of cheese.

I know Timkin good bearings for the front, any suggestions for the rears? I noticed britishparts do cheap front arms or rebuild kits, are these any good or should I buy a £300+ pair of OE ones.

Thanks in advance all!

Last edited by MintyHit on 14th Aug 2018 1:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #197387214th Aug 2018 12:43 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Advanced Factors and there is a forum discount,look in the sp9nsors section.

And welcome to club V8
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #197387614th Aug 2018 12:58 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

+1 for advanced factors. I used them heavily when I rebuilt my disco recently. Advanced factors do kits for suspension arms/anti roll bars etc Most people upgrade to either Range Rover sport arms/bushes or poly. Personally I’ve gone for Range Rover sport.

Timken bearings are what I always go for. You’ll prob find “genuine” bearings are timken in a different box Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #197387814th Aug 2018 1:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MintyHit

Why did you go for RR sport lower arms may I ask? Are they uprated from the V8 ones?

Did you get them from AF?

EDIT: Not to worry, found my answer - they are fitted with a larger ball joint:

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/kit614--...2004-p.asp

Post #197389414th Aug 2018 1:59 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Welcome to the exclusive V8 club! 8) Please update your profile with the model and make of your vehicle. Thumbs Up

This is my opinion only, of course, but Britpart parts and my D3 don’t mix... except the third row floor mat is BP and it functions as designed. Thumbs Up

I’ve used OE or genuine parts in my suspension when replacing. ARB bushes front and back were genuine; track rods, toe links, rear knuckle hub bushes also genuine; rear LCAs genuine, stabilizer links were Meyle HD so they’re actually aftermarket. The various filters have tended to be Mann+Hummel or Mahle.

AFAIK Timken is the same as the genuine thing, all that’s missing is the oval logo and the box.

I like the way the D3 behaves (the original behavior), I wouldn’t polybush it. If you want a sports car get one. This probably splits a lot of people’s opinion.

Shopping - AF which has been suggested is quite good and their site is easy to navigate as they’ve taken the time to make collections of the stuff you most likely need. They’re also nice guys to deal with and answer their emails as well. Laughing I tend to buy from them and the more obscure items (usually genuine) from Rimmer Bros who seem to have most of what I’ve wanted/needed in stock.. I don’t buy any aftermarket parts from RB as it’s impossible to tell who it is manufactured by when ordering. AF tells you upfront whose kit they’re selling which is quite nice.

Hope this helps.

Post #197392314th Aug 2018 3:39 pm
MintyHit

Thanks for all the replies!

I've just ordered a front bearing from AF... this was the only one highlighted as an advisory on the MOT history. The other front had recently been done... why people don't change them in pairs I really don't know.

To be honest from my own tests I think there is more play in the rears than the fronts but they have never had an advisory so I will assume the mot tester knows more than I do and change the remaining front... with any luck that will eliminate the irritating noise.

I'll probably do all the arms & arb droplinks when I get the chance.

Post #197393014th Aug 2018 4:03 pm
Mogwyth

Oh and we are not allowed our own forum but we do have the next best thing an ongoing thread https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/discovery-3...65149.html
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #197393314th Aug 2018 4:11 pm
kajtzu

A lot of people do funny things to their expensive vehicles. Shocked

The previous owner of mine had only ~33000 km ago changed the track rods (and I have driven ~25000 km with it) to ones with no text, logos or stamps.. Shocked They were all Censored in the spring and I had to replace the inner and outer on both sides - they’re certainly supposed to last longer. Mr. Green

Post #197394514th Aug 2018 4:33 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Welcome to the V8 club Thumbs Up

If you haven't already then check your sunroof drains, as if they have not been replaced ( the elbows) then you are on borrowed time. Lots of threads on here about how to do them and well worthwhile unless you like soggy carpet and electrical gremlins. Use the newer RR Sport elbows as they are of the new improved design.

Post #197403014th Aug 2018 8:31 pm
kajtzu

Yeah, as you mentioned you’ve been lurking for a while - checkout (or search) for V8 specific stuff to fix. The T-piece comes to mind and also the PCV valve in the engine; your trip will end if the former breaks and the engine compartment is full of coolant. The latter is also bad for the engine. Both are relatively easy to replace if they have never been.

Then there’s the front diff breather; since it can become obstructed the fix is to replace it with a D4 part. This one is not V8 specific. Not fixing can lead to Censored front diff.

Archives and search are really a good friends especially if you’re handy with the tools as you said.

Post #197403514th Aug 2018 8:39 pm
kajtzu

I’m rather happy the Finnish HSEs don’t seem to have come with a sunroof by default. One less issue. Thumbs Up

Post #197403814th Aug 2018 8:41 pm
MintyHit

Update:

So I've changed the other front bearing (MOT advisory) and I've still got the hollow metallic scraping sound - at this point I am starting to think it is one of the differentials or the transfer box so I've contacted my dealer and they are going to look into it for me.

Is a noisy / failing diff covered under my consumer rights? I hope so - looks like a tough job to do myself on the street.

I rebuilt my front valve block though - my suspension no longer loses height overnight so at least that fix was a success! I did find a bit (not much) of white dust in the unit though so I guess the silicone in my compressor is breaking down. Is there a DIY fix for this? I've searched but can't find one.

I'll check the sunroof drains!

Thanks everyone!

Post #197448316th Aug 2018 9:28 am
Mogwyth

You can get kits to refurbish the compressor dryer from eBay or advanced factors forum sponsor.
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #197451816th Aug 2018 11:18 am
Bungle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

You can fit a new drier, but to be honest if the drier is knackered the compressor is probably on borrowed time as well, especially if it has been working harder with the leaks you had. New compressor comes with a new drier attached. Loads of threads on here about switching to the later AMK compressor (which needs a software update to the ECU) or you can stick with the original style (which I did with no issues, but others have had failures, YMMV).

Post #197451916th Aug 2018 11:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >