Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

New front discs at 45k??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Harlequin

United Kingdom 
New front discs at 45k??

My 07 manual XS is now 28 months old and has just gone in for its 45k service. I anticipated that the original brake pads would be ready for replacement and therefore told the garage (main dealer) before the service to get on and change them. I was gobsmacked to be told that not only did the pads need replacing (but they weren't worn completely) - but that the front discs were on their limit and needed replacement.
My driving style (a lot of engine braking) is such that it's not unusual for me to get in excess of 45k out of a set of pads (I also used to get that out of a set of tyres until I bought a D3!!). In 40 years of driving, I have never, ever had a car which needed new discs at that sort of mileage.
I have to say that I have absolute confidence in the dealer - have used them for years and have made a number of postings on here about their excellent service. John C knows who I'm talking about! I am told that it's not unusual for the D3 to need new discs at 30k, never mind 45.
Is this normal - or do I have an issue with Landrover - not that I would get anywhere.
Be interested to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Richard
 I was taught to be cautious.  
Post #5039175th Aug 2009 6:11 am
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Hi Richard,

When mine got it's 60k service I was advised by the stealer that the discs were on the limit and neede changing.

I took their advice at face value but my brother in law, a Peugeot main dealer mechanic, reckon they were fine and it's a con by the dealers to earn a bit extra during lean times!!

However it is a 2.7ton beast so it has to be a judgement call by you.

You could always ask for your 'worn' discs to be returned to you and have them independently inspected.

Hope this helps
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #5039185th Aug 2009 6:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Harlequin

United Kingdom 

Thanks Dave
I was going to ask to see the discs, anyway - but thanks for the sound advice. I have to say that I trust the dealership absolutely - probably one of the best in the country (you don't have to be a brain surgeon to work out who I am talking about - just look at my previous posts!)
Yes - I recognise that she's a heavy beast but I would have thought that disc wear would only have become evident if I had been running it on bare metal instead of pads.
Oh well - just one of the joys of owning the best vehicle there is - along with having to replace the tyres every 20k or so. The present Grabbers have been on since 19k and are also getting close to replacement!
Richard
Post #5039245th Aug 2009 7:26 am
Dave T

England 

Mine were advised to be changed at around 37000 (I have a lead right foot so need them a fair bit Whistle ), but if you are prepared to get your hands dirty you can save at least half the cost of the dealer doing it, even if you use genuine parts, which I always would do for brakes and stuff like that. It really is a simple, straight forward job, you may just need a few special tools (Torx keys) that can be bought from Halfords fairly cheaply (about a tenner for a set).

I suppose it boils down to "do I want to risk my brakes failing?" Very Happy

Post #5039275th Aug 2009 7:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

first ones replaced at 30K....second set absolutely fine at 75K (i.e. 45k on the discs)....... Confused

its a lr Thumbs Up
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #5039415th Aug 2009 8:34 am
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Replaced mine all round at 55000 when the warning light came on halfway down Geronimo Shocked Embarassed (advised at 45000 the pads wouldn't last until 60000 and that the discs were on the limit)
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #5039455th Aug 2009 8:55 am
petsar68

New Zealand 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Funny you should mention discs as mine have just been replaced at about the same mileage as well as sensors ???? and the pads, all in for $600 (New Zealand). I was thinking the same as you but i am pleased to hear i am not alone. I am not sure what the sensors relate to though ?
 1995 V8 ES - SOLD.
2005 TDV6 HSE - SOLD.
2006 RRS TDV6 SOLD. 

Post #5039485th Aug 2009 9:06 am
Harlequin

United Kingdom 

Thanks all - feel a bit reassured now that I can see that I'm not alone. Suppose I'll just have to desist from using my brakes Rolling with laughter
Post #5040115th Aug 2009 1:05 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Simple to resolve this. Measure the thickness of the discs Thumbs Up

Also remember that when you go off road the ABS TC HDC will all apply the brakes, a lot is certain conditions that will wear out a set of pads very quickly ergo the discs as well.

Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #5040225th Aug 2009 1:33 pm
Harlequin

United Kingdom 

Andrew
Thanks - accept what you say about off-road driving - but the point is that the pads had actually done quite well - 45k and still some to go.... but the discs were on their limit - seems a bit odd to me that the wear rate on the discs seems to have been greater than the pads. The only other explanation is that the discs as so thin to start with that they're not allowing for reasonable wear.
Post #5040745th Aug 2009 4:28 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

17mm rear and 27mm front (I think) are the minimum thickness.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #5040765th Aug 2009 4:35 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I had my rear discs changed at 90K approx and the front discs are still OK at 95K
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #5040975th Aug 2009 5:13 pm
Ken

I change Mini Discs at 10k loads of factors & they are consumables that’s how it is

Post #5041045th Aug 2009 5:39 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

Richard

You have done well. My first discs were replaced at 3 years 30,000 mile and again 2 months later after only 1000 mile. On both occassions the problem was found through the steering wheel wobble only when braking (just like having an unbalanced wheel) Although the first set had been replaced by myself using original parts, the local LR dealer then carried out the job of replacment, under the parts warranty.

Hope your's last longer

Brian

Post #5045116th Aug 2009 6:20 pm
Harlequin

United Kingdom 

I have recently spoken to a friend of mine who is in the motor trade. He tells me that it's fairly normal, these days, to have to replace discs every two years or so. Given that they are comparitively cheap - £32 each in the case of the Disco - he doesn't see it as a big issue - and I have to say I agree. Although the total bill was about £300 for new pads, discs and the sensors - small price to pay for safety. His theory is that since the banning of asbestos, brake pads are now made of a much harder material - plus pads have generally increased in size as compared to the size of the discs. This inevitably leads to increased wear. Albeit that it is just his opinion - but it seems to make a lot of sense.
Richard
Post #5045176th Aug 2009 6:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >