Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

New engine time!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

So the last couple of days and a few extra hours today, was all about even more prep, then painting, painting and more painting.

Anglefire came over in his Spitfire to give us a hand.

Mind you, he was asleep on the job.....

Came back in today to finish off the painting and start putting clips back on and re attached the centre and rear valve blocks after changing all the seals.

Rear anti roll bar was removed the other day although the drop links needed some assistance to release the nuts today.

Plenty of coverage on the rear of the body especially the mud trap behind the front part of the wheelarch as that was where most of the surface corrosion was.

So, Sunday off!

Back in on Monday for engine back on the chassis and see how the day goes!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #191865125th Feb 2018 9:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Looks really good underneath! Does that paint or rust protection dry overnight?

Post #191866825th Feb 2018 10:34 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

It’s touch dry overnight and cures fully over a few days.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #191867525th Feb 2018 10:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

So, I’ve been asked about what I’ve changed and replaced and other bits being done whilst the body is off...
Chassis and body needle gun, wire wheel, DA sander and scotchbrite prep
Corroless 2k paint https://www.arc-rite.co.uk/corroless-2k-ex...ck-5-litre
Corroless Vapour Corrosion Inhibiter cavity wax protection https://www.arc-rite.co.uk/corroless-cci-4...biting-wax

Air suspension cylinder
Service all Air valve blocks with new seals
New captive nuts for compressor
Rear ARB bar complete bar and bushes. (front changed last year or so)
Replace Body mount bushes where worn
Remove/replace the epb bracket bolts inc case needed to remove in the future
Renew Brake pipes where needed
Egr coolers
New LR Engine!
High Pressure Fuel Pump
Turbo
Turbo oil feed pipe
Injector seals
Return pipe seals/clips
Engine breather canister and pipes
Side water outlet assembly (not to be confused with the usual top one)
Oil dipstick pipe
Aux belt tensioner
Aux belt
Inner wing front liner
Replace split Fbh exhaust
Washer bottle sensor
Coolant bottle cap
Replace broken Electrical connector retaining clip for plug in rear wheel arch
Oat coolant
Cold climate steering fluid
Re-gas aircon
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #191869925th Feb 2018 11:47 am
Washwipe

England 

Paul68 wrote:
I don’t think they do the 3.0 only the 2.7 I tried all routes to buy one last year but they would not sell to me, they put me in touch with motorman a company they dealt with but I have found out recently they will not support motorman anymore as jlr have put some form of contract on them that they can only deal directly with jlr
I would imagine shortly they will be doing the 3.0 engine for discovery 4 has they are no longer made by ford at there engine plant in uk , has discovery 5 engine is a different engine single turbo

You learn something every day, was led to believe it’s the same basic engine in the D5, just different ancillaries and still out of Dagenham Question

Post #191871325th Feb 2018 12:12 pm
Paul68

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry d5 3.0 engine but single turbo ,I don’t think they are producing the d4 engine anymore. That was my understanding but I maybe wrong

Post #191876725th Feb 2018 3:59 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

So, Monday came and went, but we managed to get the body back on and bolted back up.

To make it easier to line back up as the chassis had been rolled in and out that many times, it was never going to be exactly in the right spot.

A couple of people had suggested a plumb line to get it ‘about right’ and someone else suggested some cut off bolts at the corners to slot into the body mounts.

This worked really well, along with four wheel dolleys meant we could easily manoeuvre it into the right place.

Some slight adjustment and tweaking as it got closer and slotted back on without much of a problem.
Caught the gearselector cable on the fuel tank but managed to free it up easily enough.

Decided to leave the electrics connecting for that night until Thursday as I had a couple of full days of paying work already booked in.

So we left it at that and James carried on Tuesday and Wednesday with the additional wax cavity spraying https://www.arc-rite.co.uk/corroless-cci-4...biting-wax as well as surprising me by fitting the centre silencer delete pipes I had from Griffin and connecting up replacement brake pipes where needed and bleeding through

The ‘wax’ has a 4 year life, goes on clear and dries to a tough clear finish.
Much cleaner and easier to apply than the dreadful waxoyl.

So Thursday We got the car started, which was a tremendous relief!

Sounds lovely, runs lovely and injector values were great.
Up to temperature ok, bled through water etc and then set about reconnecting wheel arches.
There was a suspension fault, that I put down to the fact it was still in the air, so knew it would be either one of the valve blocks that I’d rebuilt or a connector or a chaffed wire.

One of the rear bolts that holds the bumper on, the factory rivnut was turning, so we replaced that and a few other little bits and pieces.

Was getting late Thursday and I didn’t have the connector info I needed to see where the wires terminated to be able to check out the suspension faults in more detail.

Drive home in some pretty bad snow on the m54, saw at least 12 other cars that had either hit someone else or hit the barrier or just spun down off the hard shoulder. This was in the T6, so a bit of cautious driving saw me home ok.

Back to it on the Friday and my iPad wouldn’t allow me to see the topix connector information, so some additional pics and pdfs from Clive Symons and Allan Thrower helped to quickly identify the right connector. Not surprisingly, all the faults connected back to one connector and after double checking, realised that the connector wasn’t quite fully clicked in place. Easily solved in the end.
Except another suspension fault popped up for the front valve block.

We’d had trouble getting this connector to click, but it did succumb the day before.
But somehow it had popped off and so once re clicked into place, some judicial use of cable ties to keep it there for the moment. And suddenly all of the suspension faults disappeared! So no broken wires or fault rebuilt valve blocks, just simple connectors!

A couple of test drives to double check for temperature and air and leaks etc, managed to identify a small diesel leak from the leak off pipe. One seal replaced again as it had a little nick in it.
Seemed to do the job.

Then the excitement of the drive home!
What a great drive, felt great t be back behind the wheel. I needed to get it back on Friday as the mot runs out at the end of the day!

So currently it’s sat back on the drive, MOT supposed to be Monday, but the diesel leak has re appeared, so I’ll just replace the leak off pipe completely which I’m hoping will cure it before having its MOT later in the week.

So, what next....?

Well, there’s still the underside of the chassis to clean up and protect as we’d concentrated on the tops and sides of the chassis whilst it was on the floor. I think I’ll need to order some more 2k paint for that.
Will also need to put the winch tray back on after another cleanup and fix the winch of course.

As a celebration, after it’s passed it’s mot, I’ll be getting someone to give the beast a proper deep clean.

The ride is a little unsettled, but I put that down to being off the body and I’ve changed the most worn body mounts as well as the rear complete ARB bar so I’d expect it to sit a little different to before.

Once the mot sorted, will calibrate the suspension and get the wheel alignment checked.

So that’s it for now anyway, I’ll change the oil/filter in 1,000 miles or so and take it easy for a while.

I’ll let you know when leak sorted and passed the MOT!

Got to put a lot of credit for this to James as without his expertise in getting the fiddly little fecking bits and expertise in broken bolt removal 😂 it would have been a very different story! Many late nights and horribly grubby rust removal work on top of the engine swap. I realise than most wont go to this extent, but hopefully it will go on to last me a few more years yet!

For those that don’t know James, he has a small garage in Bedworth and takes his time to make sure the jobs are done right rather than just rushing jobs through the door.
He also has a D3 and a petrol RRS, so know his way around.
You may also have seen the series LR that has been rebuilt in one of the popular Lr mags, that’s his handiwork as well.

Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #19221514th Mar 2018 2:03 pm
stiff

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Now you know how to do it, I assume you are popping down south to get Stu’s finally fixed....? Whistle
 MY2008 D3 - It got me hooked...gone
MY2012 D4 - It kept me hooked...gone
MY2007 D3 - Mid-Life crisis toy continues driving me to bankruptcy...
MY2018 "D5" Si6 - But is it a "true" LR...discuss...but now gone
Back in a D4 with a lot of extras.... 

Post #19221834th Mar 2018 3:08 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

so I fixed the fuel leak by replacing the whole return pipe assembly. What a pita that is!!

Anyway, all done and working well.

Some people wanted to know what the exhaust change sounds like, so here it is.

Std cat, removal of the centre box and replaced with a Griffin straight through pipe to join the rear std boxes.

Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #19236537th Mar 2018 9:47 pm
harrythespider

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Love that exhaust rasp Thumbs Up

Post #19236637th Mar 2018 10:06 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Need that set on the V8 Very Happy

Post #19236867th Mar 2018 10:35 pm
Triplet3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Will that exhaust pass the new MoT tests? (Sorry if it's a daft question)
 1995 Discovery 1 300TDI
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 - Gone
1979 Series 3 109" - Gone 

Post #194782024th May 2018 5:06 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

just wished to say hats off to u and a great thread Bow down Bow down

time to crack open a nice bottle of double malt scotch Thumbs Up

Post #194786924th May 2018 8:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to: